TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Blondie14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Mike

Points: 5,500, Level: 10 Points: 5,500, Level: 10 Points: 5,500, Level: 10

gender identity and puberty? - December 29th 2014, 11:21 AM

I am intersex and going through a more female centered puberty. I constantly feel like I like the direction my puberty is going into. I started puberty at 12. And since I have gotten taller longer legs a deeper voice without actually breaking wider hips and more feminine look in general. But I realized a while ago that I didn't want to develop into a man as things progressed and that I like what I'm growing into. Right now I look like a girl only thing is that I have male parts I'm taller than average and my chest is flatter. It makes me look more pear shape than hourglass. But I have always been rather male minded and masculine. I took the sage and Cogiati test and am rather androgynous but socialize in a feminine manner and think like a man. Most of my friends are guys. And I in general enjoy typical stuff expected for a 14 year old guy. At the same time I still just feel as though I'm more of a girl than anything. I guess it's because with clothing on I look identical to most girls I know rather than guys. And I don't mind dressing up as female just not everyday I only like it though because it seems like it matches more maybe because of society? But I've never really felt inherently female. I thought I was a boy before I started puberty nowadays I'm very confused about it because I have female characteristics. I don't really feel feminine though but I'm happy with my body and how I am naturally. I kind of just feel like I'm more butch/tomboyish than anything or like I said androgynous.

Is this normal?

Last edited by Coffee.; December 30th 2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Merged posts
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
livingdeadboy Offline
Average Joe

Points: 6,474, Level: 11 Points: 6,474, Level: 11 Points: 6,474, Level: 11

Re: gender identity and puberty? - December 29th 2014, 11:26 PM

Normal? No not quite, but it's certainly not a bad thing. Just be yourself in all things and you can't go wrong. I have 13 brothers and sisters, 2 of which are lgbt, besides me. Nothing wrong with that either. Just be yourself and let nobody makes you change.

"And will I tell you that these three lived happily ever after? I will not, for no one ever does. But there was happiness. And they did live." - Stephen King
never's the word God listens for when he needs a laugh.- Stephen King

Battles that last five minutes spawn legends that live a thousand years.
Stephen King, The Dark Tower (The Dark Tower, #7)
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: gender identity and puberty? - December 30th 2014, 04:30 AM

Whatever makes you feel right and comfortable is normal for you. You can be both a boy and a girl, or neither. Just do you.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Blondie14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: gender identity and puberty? - December 30th 2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingdeadboy View Post
Normal? No not quite, but it's certainly not a bad thing. Just be yourself in all things and you can't go wrong. I have 13 brothers and sisters, 2 of which are lgbt, besides me. Nothing wrong with that either. Just be yourself and let nobody makes you change.
I am not really gay or anything I like girls but I don't really consider it a heterosexual attraction.

When I said normal I just meant for what I am?
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: gender identity and puberty? - December 30th 2014, 08:22 PM

I'm going to move this to the LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity forum because although this thread deals with aspects of puberty, it is mainly focused on gender identity.

Gender identity is a complicated matter. Honestly, how do you define yourself? It's okay to be an androgynous woman, somebody not very girly, but it's also okay to be a feminine guy. You don't have to fit 100% in one bubble in order to identify that way. You can also identify simply as intersex, and take aspects of each gender to make yourself as you wish. It's your identity.

something burning?
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Blondie14 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: gender identity and puberty? - December 31st 2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffee. View Post
I'm going to move this to the LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity forum because although this thread deals with aspects of puberty, it is mainly focused on gender identity.

Gender identity is a complicated matter. Honestly, how do you define yourself? It's okay to be an androgynous woman, somebody not very girly, but it's also okay to be a feminine guy. You don't have to fit 100% in one bubble in order to identify that way. You can also identify simply as intersex, and take aspects of each gender to make yourself as you wish. It's your identity.
I was actually hoping to hear from other people who went through a female puberty or were going through it.

I think I'm like a butch or at least androgynous lesbian. I was just wondering if there were other girls who also felt like comfortable with their body but socialized mainly with guys and was more on the masculine side of things.

One thing I've noticed though I like dressing as a woman.

I feel a bit like intersex describes my condition that's why I veer away from this concept.

Last edited by Blondie14; January 1st 2015 at 12:49 PM.
Closed Thread