TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

View Poll Results: How was your experience with an IUD?
Loved it! Still have it 2 33.33%
Loved it (when I had it) 1 16.67%
Hate it (have it now) 0 0%
Hated it (when I had it) 0 0%
Indifferent, not bad, not good 1 16.67%
I had complications with mine so can't really say? 1 16.67%
Other 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Beetlejuice Offline
I'm apologising in advance >.>
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Megan

IUD feedback and experiences? - April 4th 2015, 02:46 AM

Hi guys, I'm seriously considering getting the copper IUD as my new form of BC (I'm 20yo and have been in a monogamous relationship for 5 years) as I have had a lot of trouble with hormonal contraception in the past (exacerbating weight gain, and mood swings [not good with depression! ha])

Obviously you can spend forever reading about the pros and cons online and the technicalities etc but i wanted some real feedback from people who have it/ have had it.

My main concern is the procedure itself (does it hurt, is it scary, what's it like, how was it for you) and after (short and long term). Also does any one here also use a mooncup (or similar menstrual product) and have an IUD? As It says online you can use them, just to be careful, could any one tell me what that's like?

Thanks guys!

Razors pain you,
Rivers are damp,
Acids stain you
And drugs cause cramp,
Guns aren't lawful,
Nooses give,
Gas smells awful,
You might as well live.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 6th 2015, 05:08 PM

Personally, I have not been on the IUD, but if you go on the Bedsider IUD page and scroll to the bottom, you can read real stories of those who are on it!

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 6th 2015, 07:13 PM

Hey there,

I had the IUD put in last August and I'm not going to sugarcoat it, it was the most painful experience of my life that I can remember. Not so much the insertion but the cramps and blood afterwards was awful. However, the really bad cramps only last for about a day after and then they're manageable. I'd definitely recommend getting it, I came off hormonal contraception for weight gain reason and once I'd come off of it I did end up losing a significant amount of the weight I'd gained whilst on the hormones.

That being said it does make your periods longer, heavier and possibly more painful so just be aware of that.

Hope this helped, if you have any specific questions feel free to message me

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 6th 2015, 10:14 PM

Whilst I don't have it, my partner does have it. When she first received it she just said it felt a bit uncomfortable but wasn't painful at all. After that the only time she really notices it is when she's on her period and that's only an increase in intensity around the middle of it, but this is starting to lessen.

My partner has also tried using moon cups and she just said you have to make sure you remove them properly, because it creates a vacuum-style seal, so you just have to break the seal before the removal.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Garyl Offline
What's next, little man?

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Eli

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 7th 2015, 02:47 AM

I had the Paragard IUD for three years. I chose the IUD because it was a longer-lasting form of birth control (ten years for the Paragard IUD) and I wouldn't have to think about taking a pill every day. The insertion of the Paragard hurts...a lot. I wouldn't say let that be a deterrent from getting one, but be prepared. Take Ibuprofen beforehand and I would suggest you don't have anything planned for the rest of the day so that you can go home and lie down afterwards. The next day it's fine but for that first day you're going to feel sore.

My first paragard actually rejected after about a year. I had to have it removed (also a painful experience, but not nearly as bad as getting it inserted) and a new one put in. I had that one for two years until the cramping I had when it came time for my period just got too intense for me. I had it removed and now take the pill. I've debated getting a Mirena IUD, but am wary of getting another IUD after my experience with Paragard.

So, all in all, the Paragard was a very effective form of birth control, but the cramping during menstruation was intense, periods were longer, and my partners sometimes got poked by the strings from the IUD during sex.

Let's eat some spectral oats!
  Send a message via Yahoo to Garyl  
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Pein Offline
how the world shall know pain
Not a n00b

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 7th 2015, 04:18 AM

Being a guy I never had it. But my fiancé had it and it worked for what it was used for. But one night during sex we ended up knocking it out of place. so I guess you may want to be careful on that I guess.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Shaydow

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 7th 2015, 05:01 AM

I have the IUD right now and I like it. I have the Mirena IUD and it's for 5 years. I will say that when they were putting it in place it hurt so bad because they told me it would only take 5 mins but it took a half an hour. But I've had it for over 2 months and I have some spotting and some discharge and it smells weird. I still have cramps but not that bad . Hope this helps(:

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Samarajerk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: IUD feedback and experiences? - April 15th 2015, 08:31 PM

I really had loved that and still remembering that so much.Now i am thinking to have call to my boyfriend. :P

Closed Thread