TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
xcloudymindx Offline
Ride,Life,Style.
Not a n00b

Name: My Name is Chloe

Points: 6,037, Level: 11 Points: 6,037, Level: 11 Points: 6,037, Level: 11

Question Period confusion? - December 11th 2015, 03:02 PM

I didn't record the month date of my period, so it's been hard to know this month's due time. But roughly i think my last was 5 weeks ago?

Anyways, I normally get all symptoms (feeling sick, headaches, abdominal pains, very sore breasts etc)

So yesterday, towards evening about 5/6pm i came on: however, it was black blood?
(I know old blood can be brown towards ending of your periods or dark in color, which has been common for me aha) but never have i started my period with black blood? I've had my periods since i was 10, I'm 17 now, so this is unusual.

Sorry if TMI: But i cleaned myself up (used a pad) and about 4hrs later there was nothing there. When i peed, nothing came on the tissue either?

So today waking up i woke up after 2pm today lol (going sleep at about 1:00am) but that's a lot of hours - still there was only very very little dark color on the pad but not fresh looking at all. Again when i peed after waking up, nothing came one the tissue besides clear discharge with bit of brown in it... that's it.

It also doesn't smell like that horrible period smell, it smells different like normal clear discharge... which is odd?

I've had no period symptoms in the slightest.
Besides bloating, feeling extremely fatigued and my breast felt wet lastnight?
that was weird for me also. :|

I've tried googling to get some idea of a period STARTING with black blood; but it all comes up with periods ending with dark color bleeding (unhelpful)

I just want to run out any thoughts, like worrying myself!

I'm just gonna tie this in now: I am sexually active (But i don't think i'm pregnant either) I had unprotected sex over a month or so ago, but i got my last period after that intercourse the one i mentioned above roughly 5 week ago - so that ruled that out.

I've had intercourse after my last period but used protection both times, beside last weekend... kinda got carried away. But that would be to early considering it's only been a week, I know pull out method still gives a high risk, but it was one of those stupid moments

I'm just trying to figure out the abnormal bleeding, for a few hours then stopped? Or if anyone has experienced this, and give insight?

Like is it health wise worryisome? etc. any possibilities?

Thanks for reading<3 xxx
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59 Points: 172,500, Level: 59

Re: Period confusion? - December 11th 2015, 09:27 PM

I've started my period with dark blood before. Maybe not BLACK, but a brown color. I especially get this way if I'm just spotting for my period, which may be what you are doing? I sort of spot or sometimes my period will come on slowly and I'll get this darkish color blood and what you described with only a very little amount of blood. I've gotten this even more since I've started on my current birth control, but I got it before too. For me it's just a sign my period is starting, sometimes slowly. I don't know if that's useful for you, but I just wanted to share I've been through something similar.

Things like sex, a change in diet or exercise, or being ill recently can also throw off your period.

That being said though, if you are ever concerned about your period it is okay to ask a doctor about it. A gynecologist can be really helpful in telling you what is normal and what is not, and what things can affect how your cycle normally is. It is recommended to see a gynecologist after becoming sexually active anyway, but even if you weren't it's still good to make sure everything is healthy!

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Period confusion? - December 11th 2015, 09:40 PM

I know you do not believe you're pregnant, but accidents can happen even with birth control, so given that it's been about 5 weeks since you're last period and this unusual dark blood symptom, along with the fatigue and bloating, I would like to recommend that you rule out pregnancy any how. There is a such thing as implantation bleeding (there is probably a better medical term, but this is the term I have) where sometimes you might bleed a little even though you're pregnant during the first few weeks of pregnancy - this caused my friend to think she wasn't pregnant when she was 17 because she'd always used condoms, only then her next period didn't come. I brought it up to a doctor, and it turns out that that's not an ultra rare phenomenon... It's not super common either but I'm just letting you know that it happens so that you'll consider ruling it out.

Otherwise, there could be a huge number of factors that are affecting this; high levels of stress or illness (e.g. the flu), large amounts of weight loss, etc. could have caused you to essentially miss you period and now your body is just eliminating the small bits that did get through a little late. That said, I am just making a non-doctor/nurse/health care professional educated guess, if you're genuinely concerned, you may want to consider following up with a doctor just to get things checked out and make sure everything is in order, especially if you've ruled out pregnancy, because there is an endless list of things that could be causing it, ranging from something reasonably "minor" like stress and minor illnesses, to something more serious like an STI or PCOS. It could also seriously just be a one time thing that'll never happen again because you ate, like, pie or something (seriously, it could literally be because of a random one off circumstance).

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Lizzie Offline
Volunteering Officer
Outside, huh?

Name: Lizzie

Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26 Points: 32,471, Level: 26

Re: Period confusion? - December 17th 2015, 12:31 AM

Seeing as you have been sexually active, I also recommend you take a pregnancy test. I spotted in my first trimester and got pregnant while using contraceptives. It's always a possibility when having sex, no matter what time of the month. I think its worth ruling out first. If you go to your doctor they will do one anyways.

Interested in becoming a staff member? Feel free to PM me, or apply HERE!
::Teen Help Member Since 2006::
::Staff Member for ten years::
~Blessed Be~
Closed Thread