TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
nochance Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

21, Suicidal, and Embarrassed. PLEASE HELP. - March 30th 2017, 01:43 AM

Iím 21 years old and need to get some stuff off of my chest. I told my therapist that I have stuff I need to talk about but couldnít get the courage to tell him what it was. Heís obviously male so itís harder for me to talk to him about certain things but Iím very comfortable with him in general and Iíve been seeing him for 6 months so Iím not really interested in switching therapists unless you ABSOLUTELY think itís necessary.

I am completely ashamed to admit these secrets about me. Iíve never shared them before. But basicallyÖ I am extremely terrified of my own body. I have very abnormal issues but I am seemingly perfectly normal on the outside. I am a university student who lives at home, I seem to function normally, no problemsÖ But my life is a mess. This is the most embarrassing thing and Iíve never told anyone and I even cringe typing it but I need a place to throw it out.

I can count the number of times on one hand the amount of times I have been able to wipe myself after using the bathroom. Iím 21 and I have to have my mom do it for me, otherwise I just go for a shower because I am that terrified to do it myself. The thing is my mom enables me because she feels bad for me. When I am on my period, she changes my pad for me. I donít even know how to change it because I am too scared to touch it. This is a concern. On the OFF chance that I do touch anything I spend 30 minutes in the bathroom washing my hands, with scalding hot water.

I am ashamed and terrified of my body.. Another thing:

From my very earliest memories, I have always dealt with unwanted sexual arousal/thoughts/feelings. I have never, ever talked about this and I literally have the hardest time typing this out because this is so embarrassing and hard for me to talk about.*

Basically some background about me is that I am born in the United States but of Indian decent. For some reason everything about the Indian culture brings out this huge unwanted sexual arousal in me and it frustrates me to the point where I just want to rip my body into pieces. It doesn't "feel good" it feels bad. Unwanted arousal is still technically arousal, but it isn't pleasurable. It makes me feel disgusting and sick, and gives me this huge urge to masturbate.*

Hinduism is the religion that most Indians practice and all the rituals and customs and traditions of this religion for some reason cause huge arousal in me. Recently, without my parents knowing, I have become a Christian and given my life to Christ and found peace in that. However, these thoughts of arousal come multiple times a day and it's creating a lot of sin in my life.

I've always struggled with OCD. Specifically when it came to masturbation. As a child I was taught about masturbation by a boy my age who didn't have malicious intention behind telling me about it. I was around 5 at the time and *that's when it all started. Throughout my life every time I masturbate it has to be a certain number of times, sometimes I'm stuck in my room on my bed all day having to satisfy my OCD - at that point I'm not doing it because it feels good but because I feel like if I don't do it a certain amount of times, I'm going to die or some sort of chaos will happen in my life. Whenever I start it goes on forever and it comes to the point where my vagina will start burning and hurting and it feels like I'm ripping it to pieces just because I have to do it a certain way in a certain amount of time. And it's different each time.

Anyway, because of this I try never to start masturbating because I know how difficult it will be for me to come out of it. HOWEVER, I am CONSTANTLY surrounded by unwanted arousal because I am constantly surrounded by the things I am aroused by.

For example, yoga/breathing exercises/meditation is a big cultural part of India as well as Hinduism. Those things are looked at as a way to connect to the Hindu Gods and for some reason that has always always ALWAYS sparked arousal. ** I know many people will say yoga is something that arouses a lot of people, but I do not mean it in the same way as you're thinking. It's very different and very disturbing. Even hearing the word yoga or looking at it or typing it makes me want to rip my hair out, it makes me want to self-harm so bad to a point where I can't even feel anything. Hearing those words or even typing them out make me want to die.

Of course no one in my family has any idea I've struggled for all my life with this and recently I've been going through some health issues. Because of these health issues my parents think yoga is a good way to fix my stomach issues. And multiple times a day they will tell me to do yoga or mention it and it makes me want to masturbate, which if I start then it'll create that OCD cycle. Basically it makes me want to kill myself and I feel disgusted, violated, and just angry with myself whenever I hear it because I feel gross when I get turned on by something my parents say. Because that arousal is then associated with either my mom or dad and that spirals into something huge and disgusting.

LASTLY: THIS IS A VERY HEAVY ACCUSATION AND I DO NOT KNOW IF IT HAPPENED. But I have flashbacks of being very young, and being sexually abused by an extended family member. I DOUBT this happened but I keep having flashbacks of it whenever I end up going into these OCD loops.

I CANNOT LIVE LIKE THIS ANYMORE. It is HELL. Also the whole idea of talking to a professional about it also starts to create weird feelings which is why I'm stuck. I can't get through this without having to deal with the pain of it.

My therapist told me to start talking to him about ďwhatís been bothering meĒ and to email him if I canít tell him in person. I AM TOO EMBARRASSED. How do you even bring this up??? I am so shy that I canít even talk about what I had for breakfast this morning, let alone all of this!!

I feel like committing suicide because that seems like the only way to escape these thoughts and my past. I donít think Iíll ever get it out. What do I do?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Newsletter Tips Writer
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Re: 21, Suicidal, and Embarrassed. PLEASE HELP. - March 30th 2017, 02:24 AM

Hello there and welcome I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling so much with all of this. This is just an idea, but since you're already written it all out once, why not send this to your therapist? You can either print it, copy and paste it into a word document/email, or send him a link even. This took a lot of courage, no need to go through that twice since it's already written out. It's something to think about. You're the only one who can decide whether a therapist is right for you and I'm glad you've found one you're comfortable with. I hope that you can find a way to tell him what you need to start working through this because it sounds awful for you and you're always welcome to continue to post here if you're comfortable.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte

(#3 (permalink)) Old
del677 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: 21, Suicidal, and Embarrassed. PLEASE HELP. - March 30th 2017, 10:07 AM

There are medications which can help with OCD. You can talk with a doctor, or a psychiatrist doctor, about your OCD and see if there's medication that can help.

(The other issues may be caused by the OCD.)

Thank you for having the courage to write!

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: 21, Suicidal, and Embarrassed. PLEASE HELP. - March 30th 2017, 07:01 PM

Welcome to TeenHelp! You are incredibly brave for coming to us and for surviving this long with these thoughts. Every day that you get up and fight, it has taken a lot of strength, and you are amazing. The issues that you describe are treatable or manageable, but they will require you going to a therapist and cannot be dealt with on your own. There is a LOT you are dealing with, and you deserve the help and support. There are medications, exercises, and therapy to be able to help you through your OCD and to be able to get past many of these urges, and additional therapy to help you through the impact that sexuality has on you. Honestly, if you need an idea of what to email to your therapist, email this thread. I believe you described everything very well here, and you have nothing to be ashamed of. If you want help drafting something, let us know. Sometimes, it's easier to write an email or a letter in the beginning, and later on you can get the referrals and the treatment that works for you.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said ďit hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread