TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
syndra Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Exclamation Birth Control Question - July 17th 2017, 08:50 AM

Hi, so I finally decided to go to Planned Parenthood to get on birth control last month and currently I am on my second pack second week. I take my birth control religiously, except when I was on the "sugar pills," on my first pack, I changed them in 30 min intervals, so I had light bleeding. I asked my mom if the bleeding was completely normal and she said yes. I also had unprotected sex, but the doctor at PP said I would be fine after about a week, and I started having sex around the third week on being on BC. My partner never ejaculated in me when we had sex, besides precum I suppose. I am currently feeling some light cramps, and I am on my second pack, second week. I don't know if the cramps are period or stomach cramps. I am still taking my BC at the same time everyday, but I went from 6:00 PM to 10:00 PM. Did the time change effect my cycle even with the interval changes with the sugar pills? Should I be using a backup method of birth control?

I also heard that birth control doesn't make your period actually come until I have been on it for 2-3 months. I also feel some light nipple pain. My cycle can be out of wack because of stress and bad eating habits, but I hope and I know for a fact that I shouldn't be pregnant. My cramps are also getting a little bit intense, is it normal to be cramping when you start taking BC, or could it be because of something else? I am also on the 28 day pill pack.

If you guys need anymore information or explanation PLEASE let me know. I tend to be a very stressful person so anything helps.

Last edited by syndra; July 17th 2017 at 09:10 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Birth Control Question - July 18th 2017, 03:21 AM

Honestly, I kind of feel that you should always use a second form of contraceptive if you absolutely can not afford to have an accidental pregnancy. My boyfriend and I use birth control and condoms and we talked about it a lot before becoming intimate. He knew my concerns about getting pregnant and he agreed that we should use both.

Also, I haven't heard that people don't get their period until they have been on the birth control 2-3 months. I am sure that is something that can happen but when I went on birth control I had a period the month after I started ... it just came at a later date then it normally does. However, birth control can mess with your period so I wouldn't be surprised if some people do miss their period when they first start it (I've missed my period twice in the two years I have been on it).

If you are concerned about pregnancy I would say that you take a test two weeks from the last time you had sex. From experience this will really ease your mind especially if you aren't pregnant. I keep a box of pregnancy tests just in case I miss a period or get paranoid and think that I might be pregnant. I've never been pregnant and the confirmation of that has felt like such an amazing relief.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
syndra Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Birth Control Question - July 18th 2017, 04:54 AM

Alright, thank you so much! I might get a test this week

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: Birth Control Question - July 18th 2017, 03:44 PM

Birth control can simply make your periods, or breakthrough bleeding, a bit wacky. Having some light cramps is pretty normal. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but I'd recommend always keeping some inexpensive tests with you and testing of you're ever unclear just to eliminate that as a possibility. Dollar stores usually keep pregnancy tests. I agree with Jenna about using a second method; while I was on the pill, I usually used condoms as well. The chance is low and the small change in your pill timing won't be significantly for pregnancy risk, but if you can't afford pregnancy, it's always better to double method if you can.

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
Closed Thread