TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Non-PG13: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t152460-hey-so-how-does-safe-sex-work-lesbians/)

LittleLight August 5th 2017 07:28 PM

Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians?

Hey so to start off I'm 15~ I'm bi sexual and I'm homeschooled (yes this is important to the conversation)
And I'm more of the side of liking women and since I'm of that age when you start learning about this stuff I've started learning about heterosexual safety! (like condoms and birth control and such) it's quite interesting :hehe:

But I've been wondering for future reference if I had a female partner how would that work? In terms of STDs not in how would we have sex

And I would ask a teacher but my teacher is.. my mom.. who's straight.. I don't know how much she'd know about this subject and I don't really feel comfortable asking in the first place >~<

Well if anyone knows about this subject it would be awesome to find out thanks~

DeletedAccount69 August 5th 2017 08:18 PM

Re: Hey so how does safe sex work for lesbians?

I am not a lesbian but some of the things I have picked up from friends who are were:

• Using a barrier when having oral sex such as a dental dam. I believe back in sex ed (like 12 years ago) the instructor said that some people use condoms that are slit open in place of a dental dam. However, I am not sure if this is something that should be done so hopefully someone can come along.
  • Wash your hands before fingering your partner. There are articles online that discuss using gloves while fingering but I don't know a lot of people who do this. But, washing hands is actually kind of important.
  • Some people will put condoms on their sex toys and changing the condom after every use.
  • Cleaning the sex toys after you use them.
I don't know if there are more comprehensive things you can do and if there are hopefully someone will come along and share or even amend any mistakes I might have made.

Best of luck and I am glad you are looking for information on how to stay safe if you are ever in a situation where you will be having sex.

DeletedAccount71 August 5th 2017 09:05 PM

Safe sex for lesbians includes the following:

- Using dental dams for oral sex. You can also split a condom in half, but make sure it's one without spermicide. In addition, you can use saran wrap, which serves as a barrier to everything but HIV.
- Wearing nitrile gloves (in case of a latex allergy). Make sure you wash your hands beforehand and that your nails are short and trimmed. Trust me; it's not fun to get scratched down there.
- I highly recommend using condoms on your sexy toys, especially anything insertable, with every use and washing them between uses. Be sure you follow the instructions on how to properly clean your sex toys.
- And, always, communicate clearly with your partner. Remember that lesbians CAN still get STIs. Although it happens more infrequently than it does with people having heterosexual sex. Remember to get tested each year during a wellness exam.

LittleLight August 5th 2017 09:52 PM

Okay so for an example why would me and my lady partner use a dental dam when most heterosexual couples don't is there any specific reason or just they should and they don't? Thank you so much I'm learning a lot

DeletedAccount71 August 5th 2017 10:16 PM

Heterosexual couples sometimes do use condoms for oral sex, hence the existence of flavored condoms. It's all about what couples involved want, which is why there needs to be clear communication about safety preferences before sex.

DeletedAccount69 August 5th 2017 10:17 PM

Heterosexuals should use dental dams and they don't. A lot of people don't practice the proper safety.

It's also suggested that people who get STD tests before having sex but a whole lot of people don't.

Some people in monogamous relationships will also make the choice to move from practicing safe sex such as using dental dams and condoms. However, there are people who feel that even if you are in a monogamous relationship you should still practice safe sex because you can never truly know if your partner is being faithful or something along those lines.

LittleLight August 5th 2017 11:11 PM

Oh okay thank you very very much! I appreciate everything~