TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Honeybadger40 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Honey

Contraceptive pill & vomiting... am I still protected? - April 1st 2018, 04:57 PM

Hi all,

I'm 20 years old and I have been with my partner for a few years. We have sex but as we both still live at home with our families it can be difficult for us to find times in which we will both be free and have enough privacy to have sex, so it doesn't happen very frequently.

I've been taking the combined pill for around two years now and my partner and I also use condoms when we have sex. I get VERY worried about becoming pregnant, and I don't feel comfortable enough to have sex using just one method of contraception. I have to know that there is a back up in place in case something goes wrong (e.g. if I miss a pill or if the condom splits). I know some of my anxiety surrounding possible pregnancies is irrational, but it's just how I feel.

Yesterday, I took my pill at 7pm (my usual time) and I vomited around 1.5 - 2 hours later (8.30 - 9pm). Apologises for any TMIs, but I wasn't violently sick, I only vomited a little. I haven't been sick since. I think it was just because I went out running too soon after eating my evening meal. Does this mean I threw my pill up? Will it have had time to absorb into my blood stream?

I realised this morning that being sick might have affected my protection so I took another pill at 9am today (around 14 hours after I normally take my pill). It is the first week of my pack so I know its important to take it properly at this time as the chance of an egg being released is high if any mistakes are made during the first week of a pack. Is 14 hours too late to 'replace' the pill I likely vomited out in the first week of a pack? Will I be protected by my pill if I have sex?

There's no chance I am pregnant as I haven't had intercourse in the last seven days (its probably been at least two to three weeks due to our situation which I explained above) and we use condoms every single time we have sex so even if I had I would not be pregnant. But will my pill still provide me with protection alongside a condom if I have sex before my next period?

I feel like an absolute idiot for not taking another pill straight away. I'm usually so good with my pill and in four years of having sex I haven't made one error with my contraceptives. I can't believe I've been this stupid

Thank you in advance for your answers and advice.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Contraceptive pill & vomiting... am I still protected? - April 1st 2018, 05:50 PM

I have personal experience with this for reasons but from my understanding vomiting within 2 hours means that it probably did not absorb. However, you should call your doctor to be 100% positive as I never called mine.

The doctor should also be able to tell you how long till the birth control will take affect since/if you missed a dose.

I used condoms and BC and due to the condoms you'd probably be fine BUT I know that isn't all that helpful when you are really worried about pregnancy. I worry about that a lot.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Honeybadger40 Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Honey

Re: Contraceptive pill & vomiting... am I still protected? - April 1st 2018, 06:35 PM

I think its best to assume the pill I initally took did not absorb.

So is 14 hours too late to take a replacement pill or am I still protected?

I can't call my doctor at the moment as the surgery is shut due to Easter for the next two days but I will call asap.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Online
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Contraceptive pill & vomiting... am I still protected? - April 2nd 2018, 01:22 PM

To be honest, I am not certain. I know they have said that if you miss a pill it isn't the end of the world as long as you take the rest of the pills normally. However, when I asked them about potentially missing a pill they said that if I did it would be best to use condoms and continue taking the pill as normal.

I know what I first started taking the pill they mentioned I wouldn't be protected for 7 days and I should use condoms but I do not know if the same rule applies when you miss one pill.

Definitely call your doctor because I don't want you to take my information as fact as it's more what I remember when I was taking the pill.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread