TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount27

Edit avatar

Endometrial ablation? - August 13th 2018, 04:08 PM

This thread has been labeled as triggering, particularly on the subject of self harm, by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for certain sensitive users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Iím almost 18 years old and Iíve wanted to get sterilized for years now. Iíve posted about this before so I donít think Iíll go into too much detail. Iíve struggled with being a woman for a long time now and I think itís related to childhood trauma...I donít want to be a man or anything, I just donít like some of my biological functions. I used to cut a lot because my periods would make me so depressed and Iíve literally never wanted to be pregnant in my life. I donít want to either. I sometimes think about what I would do in the situation and I just start feeling suicidal. Thereís zero chance of me ever accidentally getting pregnant, unless I was raped (hopefully that never happens) because Iím a lesbian. But if I did fall pregnant, I know Iíd have to get an abortion. Itís never been too much of a decision for me because I know that the further along I got, the harder it would be for me psychologically.

But I canít get sterilized. Iíve been told that no doctor in their right mind would give anyone under the age of 40 an elective and total hysterectomy. Even though Iíve literally never wanted to become pregnant nor will I ever want to...itís also my body so I feel like if I have the money, I should be able to get whatever procedure I want. If I regret it for some reason later on then thatíd be my own problem. Anyway, total hysterectomies are also very expensive and invasive. Plus, one of my momís friends got one and she said they had to put some kind of silicone dome inside her to keep her organs in place?? That sounds terrifying to me and I really donít like the idea of foreign objects being inside me. So I donít want an IUD like some have suggested.

I decided just to suffer both mentally and physically (bad PMS) because I couldnít get my hysterectomy and no birth control had the desired effect. But then my cousin got an endometrial ablation. Iíd never heard of this until that point but it sounds really good to me. Basically, itís removing some of the endometrium by burning it off. The end goal is to lighten the period but it sometimes stops it completely, Iím honestly hoping for the latter. If it doesnít stop your period the first time, they can do it again. They put her under anaesthesia and I think the procedure took like 50 minutes. There were no incisions, she didnít need an IV line or anything and she said it didnít hurt. I think she was allowed to go home that night too. Itís only about $700 too compared to a hysterectomy which is $9000+.

I donít know when Iíll get the surgery, if I do. If I donít get this surgery, Iím going to find another way to help myself anyway. I want to talk to a psychologist or psychiatrist first and I want to have a job to pay for it lol. But what Iím really wondering is, will doctors even let me do this?

Iím going to tell them about how sick my period makes me. I get headaches and I used to get migraines until I was put on medication. I feel nauseous to the point where I donít want to eat anything. I get cramps constantly, so bad that I double over in pain. I get super sensitive to light, touch and sound. I canít even accidentally brush against my breasts because they hurt so bad all the time. I also have digestive issues and get stomach cramps on top of uterine cramps but I wonít go too far into that because I donít think anyone wants details lol. I basically need to be in a pitch black room. I canít sleep at night because Iím so uncomfortable all the time but I constantly feel weak, worn out and exhausted. I feel like I canít do anything because itís just too much, I just want to lie in bed and sleep but I canít even do that. Then thereís the mental side of it where I just feel suicidal, I cry a lot and I want to tear my skin off. I just feel totally miserable and I canít even explain why. I also have to change pads constantly, I swear I need to change four or five times per day because Iím just about bleeding through. Itís hell, pretty much.

Is that enough of a reason to give consent for a patient to undergo endometrial ablation? Because I donít know what else I can do. Iím already on the pill by the way, Iíve changed dosages 3 times because it doesnít work for me and the GP wonít give me anything stronger (aka something that actually works). Iím too scared to get off of the pill though because Iím worried itíll get worse

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Unbreakable

Senior TeenHelper

Name: Court

Re: Endometrial ablation? - August 14th 2018, 01:57 AM

Hey there!

I'm wondering, have you ever seen an OB/GYN about your issues? If not, that's probably the only way you're going to get an ablation. And I'm going to be truthful here, I've been fighting for a year to get an ablation done to my endometrial lining but my doctor refuses to do it unless he has concrete proof that I have endometriosis. In order for him to determine for sure if I had it was to do a surgery to look at my reproductive organs through my belly button with a scope called a laparoscopy. And even then, he couldn't find anything because he couldn't get a good look, so guess what he said? No ablation until he gets me into a different surgical center equipped to do the surgery in.

Being you're so young, they're not going to do anything at all that can cause infertility, unless you have an underlying medical condition, it's because of legality issues. Although, I agreed to sign a contract saying I would not go against the doctor for infertility, and he still refused.

I had tried every form of birth control possible, the shot, the IUD, the pill, patch, and ring, and none of them have helped. The only thing my doctor will do for me is prescribe pain pills till he can figure out the cause.

I apologize as you may not want to have heard this, but that is my current situation. I mean, there is probably someone here who had a willing doctor to do that, but I have not heard of anyone that they had a doctor agree to do that procedure. If you have any other questions feel free to PM, VM, or reply to the thread and I'll reply as soon as I can.

Take care,
Court

Resilient
1. (of a person or animal) able to withstand or recover quickly from difficult conditions.
2. (of a substance or object) able to recoil or spring back into shape after bending, stretching, or being compressed.

We all possess resilience, we just need to realize it.

HelpLINK Mentor / Community Mentor
Forum Moderator / Community Moderator / Chat Moderator

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Endometrial ablation? - August 14th 2018, 04:24 AM

Hey there,

The above poster is correct, a lot of doctors refuse to do anything that can cause infertility unless it is medically necessary and even if it is medically necessary they hesitate. I know my mom struggled to find someone who would do a tubal ligation even though she had three kids and it was recommended she not have any more. Apparently because she was only 26 they didn't want to do anything irreversible etc. That was close to 29 years ago and I have heard that there are some doctors who will do things like tubal ligation even if it isn't medically necessary. However, from what I have heard getting a doctor to approve something like this can take a lot.

I think you should consider talking to a gynecologist about all the problems you are having so that there is a record of it. The more record keeping you do (via a doctor) the better it will be for you. It would probably help to let them know what you have tried to alleviate the symptoms you are feeling. I know someone that utilized a ton of options to help with their issues and that helped them get to a point where doctors would be more open to listening to their concerns and consider things like hysterectomies.

If this is truly what you want then you should definitely look into it but you will, likely, have a fight ahead of you. It isn't impossible, per se, but the road of fighting doctors to approve these things can end up getting tiring and some people end up deciding to stop fighting.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

Closed Thread