TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Refused Birth Control - November 19th 2018, 02:43 AM

I had my son back in August, and I didn't go on any birth control at my 4-week postnatal check up because my SO and I were taking sometimes to work through our separate issues. There had been a bit of a complicated situation about four months into our relationship, and the best solution for us had been to work on ourselves before attempting to salvage our relationship.

We ended up getting back together, so I went to my PCP for birth control.

She refused for two reasons:

One is that she claims that there is absolutely no birth control that is safe to take while breastfeeding, and at the time I was attempting to breastfeed my son. Well, I know that's not true because the Ob-Gyn who delivered my son had discussed my options with me at my postnatal appointment.

The second reason is that my PCP doesn't think I should be having at sex at all so soon after having a baby. I was medically cleared for sex at 6 weeks post-partum by the high-risk Ob-Gyn. It's been 3.5 months, and I've been having sex since 9 weeks. I explained this to my PCP, and she simply said that it's too soon, I'm too young (I'm twenty years old, so I am over the legal age of consent) and if I must to use condoms.

I do use condoms, but I got pregnant from a broken condom. I don't trust condoms.

I asked her for a referral to a gynecologist since I can't see the one I saw while I was pregnant anymore -- that was a high-risk prenatal clinic that only sees high-risk pregnant patients. Nothing else. I don't have a regular gynecologist.

She said she would refer me, but it's been almost a month, and I still can't see a gynecologist. I've called every week since, and every time I'm told I should be hearing from an Ob-Gyn clinic within a week.

Do I have any other options?

I'm on Medicaid, and they won't pay for a gynecologist without a referral from my PCP. They also don't allow you to change your PCP after your coverage is approved for the year, so I can't see a new doctor until next September.

Am I just stuck having to use only condoms for a year? Is there anything I can do to get on birth control even with an uncooperative PCP? I can't afford to pay a clinic out of pocket, and I don't have a planned parenthood anywhere near here.

I wanted to get on birth control before my next Endo appointment so that we could discuss how to handle the effects on my BG, but it looks like that's not going to happen.

Could my Endo possibly help? I know it's not his job, but I really want to be on birth control as a back up in case another condom breaks. I'm not ready for a second baby until my son is at least a year old. It would also be pretty risky to get pregnant this soon after my c-section.

Are there any options I could look into?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
.:Bibliophile:. Offline
PM me anytime!

TeenHelp Veteran

Re: Refused Birth Control - November 19th 2018, 03:03 PM

Hey there,

I am really sorry that this happened to you. Your doctor doesn't sound as though she is thinking about your needs and health. It's unfortunate you have to wait until September to switch. I would try talking to your endo and see what they say. Another option would be calling the doctor you saw for your pregnancy and explain to their office about what is going on. They might be able to make suggestions on how to proceed.

Another thing you might want to consider is googling something like 'online birth control options'. I have an acquaintance who was able to get birth control online. I can't remember the name of the site she used but I know that there were doctors involved and it's supposed to help woman get access to birth control who don't have medical insurance or the appropriate doctor.

I hope this helped and please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

|Lead Moderator|Newsletter Officer|

(#3 (permalink)) Old
PoeticJessie Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Re: Refused Birth Control - November 20th 2018, 03:01 PM

I'm hoping that maybe my endo can refer me to a gynecologist. I've had a bad experience with the traditional birth control pill before, so I was hoping to try an IUD as that's a lower hormone offer. Traditional birth control pills sent my cycle into madness. I would have completely random periods, skip periods fairly often, have super heavy periods, and sometimes I would even have two or three periods of bleeding in a single month. It also sent my HbA1c up from a 5.4 to a 7.2... I was hitting 300mg/dl every day, on even more insulin that I was on during pregnancy, and it was generally a nightmare in every way. The only thing it didn't do was make me gain weight, which I had been hoping to do.

So, the traditional birth control pill really isn't a feasible option for me unless I want to go through all of those symptoms again, and I believe that is mainly what is given through the online programs.

I would rather continue to use condoms (and not trust them, ha) than have to go through all of that again.

I really can't afford the copays through my insurance, but it may be my only option if I can't get my Endo to refer me next month.

Closed Thread