TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Irregular period - March 2nd 2021, 12:20 AM

I've had the Mirena IUD for about six years now. With my first one I didn't have periods hardly ever, and certainly not the last couple of years of having it. However, since it expires after five years I had it replaced in August of 2020. Up until recently about once a month, around the first of the month, I'd get one day of cramping and spotting, and then it would go away. This is pretty much like what "periods" were like for me on my first Mirena IUD.

However, even though I already had a "period" at the first of February, on the 20th I started bleeding again, and more than before. Then followed a very strange pattern, in which I would cramp/bleed for a day, have no issue for another day or two, and then go back to cramping/bleeding. This has been ongoing for a week and a half now and I am feeling quite frustrated. I haven't had this experience. I also feel like it shouldn't be happening because I am transitioning and taking testosterone for HRT, so my periods should ideally be stopping.

I don't currently have a gyno or PCP. Any ideas what I should do? I thought about talking to the doctor who prescribes my hormones but that's not really their area of expertise.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Oneirophobia Offline
Fear of Dreams

Junior TeenHelper

Name: Kayla C

Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20 Points: 19,348, Level: 20

Re: Irregular period - March 2nd 2021, 12:26 PM

You could always contact the office that put the birth control in for you in august, they would be able to give you information about what could be going on.
I had it for almost a year and I normally always still had my periods just really light. I have not experienced what your explaining, but the one that prescribes your hormones might have some insight, it could very well be from the interactive between the two your birth control and your hormones.
I'm sorry if this didn't help.
-kayla

I fell in love the way you fall asleep. Slowly then all at once <3

HelpLINK Mentor|Forum Moderator|Social Media Guru|Photographer|Chat Moderator
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
hocus pocus Offline
Feline the love.

TeenHelp Addict

Pronouns: She/her

Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49 Points: 120,700, Level: 49

Re: Irregular period - March 7th 2021, 04:02 PM

I got the Mirena IUD a few months before you got yours placed. I have actually had a very similar experience where I have a period that is very on and off. I'll have a period one day, nothing the next and then a period the third day, and so on.

I'm wondering if there is still a hormonal adjustment because you did have Mirena previously but got a new IUD fitted, if that makes sense. A lot of doctors I've spoken with said to wait the first full year and said things should be done adjusting by then.

I've had mine for about nine months now and the irregular bleeding has improved slightly over time. I hope yours improves as well, and stops since you are no longer supposed to have one on your HRT. Irregular bleeding is annoying.

If clarity's in death, then why won't this die?
Years of tearing down our banners, you and I
Living for the thrill of hitting you where it hurts
Give me back my girlhood, it was mine first

The axe forgets, but the tree remembers
Closed Thread