TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

(#1 (permalink)) Old
TH Anonymous Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26 Points: 34,122, Level: 26

Unhappy I'm probably overthinking but.... - February 14th 2024, 07:35 PM

[SIZE="a"][SIZE="a"]I have PCOD as well as hyperprolactinemia. But my periods had been regular for the past year(irregular before that). Suddenly I missed a period. My boyfriend and I never had sex. Not even close. Nothing. I know hormonal imbalances can show same symptoms as pregnancy and google will always scare you. There's nothing to worry about, right?[/size][/size]
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Silvan Offline
Woodland resident
I can't get enough

Name: Sue
Pronouns: She/her

Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33 Points: 55,768, Level: 33

Re: I'm probably overthinking but.... - February 14th 2024, 07:57 PM

Hi there!

Thanks for reaching out.
There is no way you're pregnant if you didn't engage in any sexual activities. There is theoretically a possibility to get pregnant without penetrative sex (for example if your partner ejaculates very close to the vagina), but the chances are extremely low.
That being said, is it possible your period has been delayed because of factors such as stress, travelling, sickness (I mean infection, so factors outside of PCOD/hiperprolactinemia)? If your period should have begun about 8-10 days ago or earlier, perhaps it would be a good idea to schedule a checkup with a doctor.
Feel free to contact us again if you have any questions. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything turns out well.

Take care
xx Sue

Graphic Designer Forum Moderator
ɤ
PM ¦ VM

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

I can't get enough

Name: Sam
Pronouns: she/her

Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29 Points: 40,752, Level: 29

Re: I'm probably overthinking but.... - February 16th 2024, 06:59 PM

Hey there,

If you and your boyfriend haven't had sex, there is no chance that you're pregnant. As Sue said, there is a very slim chance that you may have become pregnant if your boyfriend ejaculated near your vagina, even without engaging in penetrative sex. However, the fact that you stated that you haven't done anything "remotely close" to having sex tells me that that's pretty unlikely.

It can definitely be concerning when your period is late, but there are a number of reasons that this can happen. As you mentioned, hormonal imbalances can have an impact on our period schedule. Additionally, factors such as stress, diet and exercise, and general changes happening in your body. Since you mentioned having irregularities with your period in the past, it might be worthwhile to schedule an appointment with your doctor, just to see if your PCOS or hyperprolactinemia might be causing it, or if there is something extra to be looking out for.

I'm sure everything will be just fine! Feel free to keep us posted or reach out if you have any other questions.

Take care,
Sam

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Alyssa
Pronouns: She / her

Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3 Points: 520, Level: 3

Re: I'm probably overthinking but.... - February 16th 2024, 08:45 PM

Hi TH!

Missed periods can be scary, and I know how scary because mine can be pretty different from one month to the next, and sometimes I second guess if Im pregnant even though I havent had sex at all yet. Its okay though, you already know everything you need to know. You have a history of irregular periods and you havent had sex. I bet youre coming out of a stretch of regular periods, which is a pain, but it is what it is.

I hope they smooth out for you again soon.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Butterscotch. Offline
rising like a skyscraper 💜
Junior TeenHelper

Pronouns: she/her, they/them

Points: 1,825, Level: 6 Points: 1,825, Level: 6 Points: 1,825, Level: 6

Re: I'm probably overthinking but.... - February 16th 2024, 09:01 PM

As Sue and Sami have said, there is no chance you're pregnant unless he ejaculated near you. Missed periods can be scary, especially when you have a boyfriend and you've been fooling around. Impregnation without penetration is almost impossible — with the exception of IVF, of course! — so you are not pregnant.

There could be many factors as to why your period is delayed. You could be stressed, as you get older periods can become a bit more irregular — even in your twenties!, and your hormonal disorders can definitely be a factor. Periods might appear to be regular for an extended period and then suddenly stop for a longer time than you'd expect.

Do you have a doctor you are seeing for treatment? If you do, I would suggest bringing your concerns up with them. See if there can be a medication adjustment or something like that. Your doctor will probably say that this is part of your hormone disorder. You won't know unless you make that appointment — that is, if you see a doctor for treatment. If you don't, I suggest reaching out to your primary care professional to get a referral.

Wishing you the best of luck!