TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Alisha

Interesting Article - May 2nd 2010, 10:23 PM

http://ca.lifestyle.yahoo.com/family...y_2008-12-18/1

What are your thoughts on it??

Everthing I see seems to be a lie. And everything you see in me you think is the truth. But, really all you see is what I'm masking the real me with. You never see me cry. Because I'll never let you. And you'll never see me die because I feel like I already have in a way.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount31

Edit avatar

Re: Interesting Article - May 2nd 2010, 11:47 PM

Personally, I am in a big believer in saving sex for marriage, but not because I'm religious or anything. I just believe sex is for two people who are deeply in love and committed to each other -- and I believe marriage is a different, more genuine commitment than just dating someone. If you marry someone, then you must be pretty sure he/she's the one you want to spend the rest of your life with. You've been together for a long time and are truly in love with him/her (not just lusting). Waiting for marriage also, I think, strengthens the bond between two spouses.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
combatbunny Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Interesting Article - May 3rd 2010, 01:50 AM

I agree that the obsession with female virginity in certain communities is crap. If males were under the same scrutiny and everyone was playing by the same rules, the necessity for virginity would be considerably more acceptable. Still, killing someone over their non-virgin status, is completely insane, especially when virginity cannot be proven.

I don't think it was mentioned in the article, but some girls have break their hymen accidentally/unknowingly when they... fall off a bike, use a tampon, etc... I'm 99.99% sure that there is no way to medically determine the virginity (or lack thereof) of anyone, male or female.

Sadly, even in First Nation countries there's still a double standard that everyone is well aware of when it comes to gender and number of sexual partners. Males with many partners are players and they score. Females with many partners are slutty and easy.

I'm not trying to say that everyone needs to sleep around because virginity doesn't matter. It does. Personally, I believe that even if you don't want to save it for marriage, you should at least save it to be shared with someone you care about. It's more the double standard I take issue with.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Re: Interesting Article - May 3rd 2010, 03:12 AM

I completely agree with this. 100%.

It's not uncommon for a girl to break her hymen at an early age. So unless she hasn't done anything that would penetrate the "flab of skin", then it is hard to tell if a woman has never had sex before. Like I said in a previous thread, a woman could have sex with a man and could easily say that she's never had sex. Virginity has become a word that is easily changed into our own views. I think that virginity is something entirely different than not having sex because I don't get how you could give a man a blow job, or a man engage in oral sex on you, or maybe even anal sex, and yet you still remain a virgin. Doesn't make sense to me at all.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Hdjdjdjduvieg Offline
Wandering Wayfarer
I've been here a while

Name: no

Re: Interesting Article - May 3rd 2010, 04:47 AM

Ha ha... Virginity is overrated, anyways, yeah?
Seriously-- it's more fun when neither party is a virgin. It'd suck for a girl to go off on their honeymoon and have to bleed and be in pain.

I love the name of honour more than I fear death.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: Interesting Article - May 4th 2010, 05:03 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with placing a personal value on virginity. I don't think that it necessarily matters whether the hymen is intact or anything like that. What really matters is the emotional aspect of it. To a lot of girls (and guys) sex is a really special thing. Your first time can be a really special, emotional thing to share with someone. It's value is the value that each individual gives it, and it's not really someone else's place to tell anyone how much to value it, right?

So maybe to some sex and virginity are meaningless, but to many, they are extremely special and important. Not just natural reproductive actions, but emotional bonding experiences between lovers.

~Cody

Normal User

(#7 (permalink)) Old
niente_ Offline
Ex band geek, but still proud.
I've been here a while

Name: Niente

Re: Interesting Article - May 4th 2010, 05:27 PM

I read an article similar to this about Asian marriages and how girls went for operations to restore their virginity so that they definitly bled on their wedding bed sheets ... but I didn't bleed when I lost my virginity. I just think all this is really unfair. In the end, their IS no way to know if someone's a virgin or not. The whole Hymen thing isn't reliable enough. Why can't religions get over that people have sex. Surely being willing to spend your life with one person is more important than a flap of skin.

Sometimes it's better to forget how you feel
and remember what you deserve

S. M ... still in my heart, forever

Closed Thread