TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
PureLithium Offline
Equestrian
Average Joe

Name: Alex

Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18 Points: 15,413, Level: 18

Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 02:14 AM

Okay, this is probably an incredibly stupid question but my naive friend has me wondering. Are condoms at the gas station less effective than buying them from say a drug store such as CVS or Walmart? They're Trojan brand and the expiration dates are fine.

So..I don't see a problem with them but my friend is on her high horse about this. Any opinions or troubles with buying condoms from local gas stations? Also, is there a minimum age you have to be in order to purchase them?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 02:19 AM

Hey Alex,
Condoms you buy from the gas station are just as effective as the ones you'd buy from say, CVS or Wal-Greens. You just have to make sure that they're expiration dates are okay. If the expiration date has already passed, don't buy them and inform the person working of the issue so they can put up to date ones on the shelves.
This is a common misconception, but assure your friend that it's fine to buy them for gas stations.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
toxxxic21 Offline
It's Never Too Late <3
Average Joe

Points: 10,080, Level: 14 Points: 10,080, Level: 14 Points: 10,080, Level: 14

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 02:24 AM

i dont see any problem...as long as the experation date is still a while away and theyve been kept at a safe temperature......and i dont think you need to be a certain age to buy condoms....but im not sure (never bought any before :P )

~whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same~
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
wonderbread Offline
Like a dude
I've been here a while

Name: Ashley

Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18 Points: 16,527, Level: 18

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 02:24 AM

Shannon is right. Just because they are from the gas station doesn't mean they aren't just as effective. If they are they same brand as the ones at any other store like Walmart or CVS and whatnot they are just as effective. The reason she most likely says this is because the condoms that are on the shelves at gas stations tend to expire before they are bought and people buy out dated condoms without looking at them. So when they are outdated let the clerk know. No there is no age in which you have to be to buy them. Now Im sure if an 8 year old try to buy them it wouldn't fly but technically an 8 year old could buy them.

Always remember to put your happiness first.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
ertyuio Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 13,132, Level: 16 Points: 13,132, Level: 16 Points: 13,132, Level: 16

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 04:15 AM

A Snickers bar at Wal-Mart is the same Snickers bar as the one you get from the gas station. Your friend's just being overly picky about it. :P

I'm pretty sure that there's no age regulation on when you can purchase condoms. I know that in New York, there's no minimum age -- but I can't really speak for many other places. But, I'd be willing to bet that in most places in the U.S., you'd be fine if you wanted to purchase them below 18.

Last edited by ertyuio; June 13th 2011 at 04:48 AM.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Name: Brandon

Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25 Points: 30,381, Level: 25

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 13th 2011, 04:33 AM

Let's say that you have a gas station, and a grocery store. The gas station needs to stock up on Trojan condoms, and so does the grocery store. They both order the products from the same company, so it makes no difference whether you buy a Trojan condom from a gas station or a Trojan condom from a grocery store. The difference is typically the price. It also depends on the type of employees that are working there. I work at a grocery store, and I've seen products that have been messed up and aren't as effective being put on the shelves for people to buy. It could be possible that an employee poked a hole through the condom as a joke, or it could've been damaged in the process of putting it on the shelf. Typically though, condoms are properly taken care of, but it's always a good idea to ensure that there's no hole in the condom, and that it's not expired. As far as the age range, I'm not sure. I've bought condoms from CVS and they didn't card me (but then again, I'm 21), and I helped a couple purchase some condoms who looked to be about 17-18. So as far as I know, you don't have to be a certain age to buy condoms; you just have to be over 18 to go to sex shops that have content not allowed to be seen by people under the age of 18. So you shouldn't have a problem with purchasing condoms (besides the awkwardness) at any kind of store that's for all ages.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Allons-y! Offline
Don't blink.
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Charlotte

Points: 14,604, Level: 17 Points: 14,604, Level: 17 Points: 14,604, Level: 17

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 14th 2011, 08:12 PM

You don't have to be 18 to purchase condoms at major chain stores (Walmart, Walgreens, etc). Smaller independent stores in conservative areas may have their own ideas about that (but then, they probably wouldn't stock them either if that was the case), but larger stores don't care. My friends used to buy them all the time as jokes, and I imagine there would be a lot of uproar if you had to be over 18.
Generally, I'd buy them at a store vs gas station because gas stations tend to only stock smaller supplies (like, you'd buy 1-3 instead of a box of, say, 14). Also, I just don't like buying things from gas stations because most gas stations where I live are fairly seedy.

Yeah, that's right: I'm high class, so I go to Walmart. :P :P

let me light up the sky, light it up for you
let me tell you why, i would die for you
When you whisper, you must be absolutely as sincere as when you scream.
9 out of every 10 problems in relationships can be solved by talking. So why are we so damn quiet?
2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Stay determined
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Cara

Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38 Points: 71,033, Level: 38

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 14th 2011, 08:41 PM

Hey there,

Like everyone else said they're just as effective. However, around where I live I know certain people (usually young teenagers) think it's funny to go in smaller shops to put safety pins through the boxes (since in supermarkets they're move protected) which could cause holes in the condoms so I'd suggest checking for damage on the boxes before you buy just to make sure.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32 Points: 51,232, Level: 32

Re: Condoms at the gas station? - June 15th 2011, 08:56 PM

I honestly think that it'll be fine! Check the condom for holes before you do anything, though, if you're not completely sure. Also, be sure to check the date on the box!
Good luck. (:
Closed Thread