TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Sex and Puberty (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/)
-   -   Female Advice Preferred: Does your period has a smell? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f6-sex-puberty/t92874-does-your-period-has-smell/)

Lu82 January 16th 2012 12:32 AM

Does your period has a smell?

I was talking to my sister the other day about periods, and i told her mine smells ans she told me that hers doesnt smell at all.I always thought it was normal for it to have a smell but now im not so sure. :ocould there be something wrong with me?

Chris January 16th 2012 12:41 AM

Re: Does your period has a smell?

It's not normal to have strong menstrual period odor, but it's also not normal to have zero odor. When blood comes in contact with air, it takes on its own scent. This scent is usually mild enough that others can't smell it through your clothes, but you'll be able to smell it when you use the bathroom or change your clothes. Your own menstrual scent is normal and you shouldn't aim to have a completely scent-free period.

But to reduce your period smell you can do things like taking more baths/showers. You can also change your pad often, and avoid scented products. If this still continues and you think it is bad - then go to a doctor and get it checked up on as it might be a vaginal infections (bacterial vaginosis, yeast infection or trichomoniasis).

Best wishes,
Chris

Castiel's Angel January 16th 2012 12:45 AM

Don't worry there's nothing wrong with you. My period has a smell and my best friends doesn't, it just depends on the person. Who knows? Maybe your sister is just too embarrased to say hers does, or she just can't smell it. Don't worry there is nothing wrong with you, just remember when it comes to stuff like this, every girl is different.
Feel free to pm/vm me if you have any other questions or comments.

Harmony♥ January 16th 2012 01:08 AM

Mine has a smell, though I've never asked anyone about their own. Blood is supposed to smell when it hits air, so I think you're fine.

Ennui. January 16th 2012 01:24 AM

Mine has a smell as well, since blood has a smell when it hits the air. I just have to change my pad a bit more often if I want to reduce the smell.

Daivia January 16th 2012 01:40 AM

Mine does have a smell, and is strongest when I wake up and change my pad.

SM13 January 16th 2012 02:01 AM

Mine has a smell. Tampons make the smell less noticeable then pads. Pads gross me out. They are like smelly diapers so I've always used tampons.

ShesNotThere January 16th 2012 02:21 AM

It's completely normal - a lot of girls have an odor that's noticeable to them, but nobody else. If you want to reduce the smell you can use tampons instead of pads, change them more often, and shower more often.

Whisperingwillow January 16th 2012 03:53 AM

Mine has a smell too. It freaks me out, I can always smell it, but I think that's because I know what to smell for. I'm always so paranoid that others can smell it.

Lu82 January 17th 2012 12:07 AM

Thanks everyone for all the responses.its good to know im not the only one.:)

Coffee. January 17th 2012 12:32 AM

Yep, it's normal, but I think your sister is normal as well. Everybody is different. Mine has an odor, but it's not horrific, and is worse by the end of the day, as everybody is because they need a shower. :nosweat:

unforgettable00 January 18th 2012 01:03 AM

Mine has a smell - and I may seem really weird by saying this, but I like it. It was reduced to just a mild scent when I started to use tampons last year. Since pads hold the scent in, really. Blood hits air = usually has a smell.
My bestfriend is the same as me. She likes it.
But everyone is different!
If you want to reduce the smell because it becomes over bearing, carry some feminine wipes (most likely found in your local tampon shopping aisle) and use those once in a while. But be careful, if you use them too much it could cause a PH disbalance </3 Ive used them so far and they work great for a quick fix on the go.

Like baby wipes but not.

Stargazed. January 18th 2012 03:07 AM

I do which is why I use tampons and use the bathroom more often so I can keep clean. I don't like thinking that someone can smell me, even though the chances are probably slim to none, i prefer no chance of someone being able to smell my period. XD

MermaidMassacre January 25th 2012 03:08 PM

Mine has a smell. Which is copper pennies...which is basically the smell of blood hahaha. So it's totally normal. And I am pretty sure EVERY girl's smells. The only reason they couldn't is probably because they are use to it. Or it's their own, etc.

George^^ January 26th 2012 07:44 PM

Mine has a smell, I find it embarassing, mostly because I'm always worried about things like that.

niente_ January 26th 2012 11:18 PM

Haha funnily enough I was wondering if other girls had a smell too ... yes I have one ...

better-than-ecstasy January 26th 2012 11:43 PM

Mine has a strong smell and I hate it.

Viky January 27th 2012 01:26 AM

Mine has a bit of a smell D: so there's nothing wrong with you unless it's a really common minor thing :) either way I'm sure you're fine. Like Dez said, blood is suppost to have a smell when it reacts with the oxygen and other chemicals in the air :P

Ambedo. January 27th 2012 01:30 AM

It's totally normal for yours to have a smell. As long as you're changing your pad or tampon often and showering daily, you should be fine.