TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
lynn221 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 03:39 AM

hey guys, so i was doing some research on my birth control that i am currently taking, tri- cyclen lo and i have found a lot of negative things online regarding all birth control pills in general. I also had a friend of mine (strong catholic) tell me that when i become sexually active with my boyfriend, i will be having abortions i dont even know about, internally. I didnt get what the heck she was talking about and she was yelling at me to throw them out -_- anyways i've been on them over a month now and planning to have sex soon (as mentioned in my other posts) but i just wanted to here peoples opinions on this topic. i also found a website and a youtube video if anyones interested explaining. would just like peoples opinions cause i dont want to start having sex with my bf and be having break through ovulation and no knowing. i wish there was a way to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZOBqdlE5M

http://www.prolife.com/BIRTHCNT.html

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:11 AM

I don't need the links. NO, you will not go through "abortions" while on the pill. Your friend isn't very knowledgeable on birth control pills it seems. The birth control pill essentially STOPS ovulation, meaning there is no egg to fertilize with sperm. Hence, no "internal abortions". Abortions aren't internal anyway. They happen, and you'll bleed severely if you go through a miscarriage, which is what I think your friend is confusing with the term abortion. Birth control pills STOPS pregnancy. It doesn't help cause it.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
lynn221 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:21 AM

yeah its main effect is to stop ovulation so no egg nothing is getting fertilized. but there is also break through ovulation, which no women can know if she does happen to release an egg that month..ovulation is not alwaysss stopped. also it thickens the mucus around the cervix so sperm cant get in, therefore killing any cells and some believe this is a form of abortion but its matter of opinion. anyone else?

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Kitty. Offline
Project Advisor

Jeez, get a life!

Name: Kitty

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:42 AM

Hey Lynn,

Shannon is correct. Birth control pills don't cause abortions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn221 View Post
also it thickens the mucus around the cervix so sperm cant get in, therefore killing any cells and some believe this is a form of abortion but its matter of opinion. anyone else?
If the sperm doesn't get in, then they can't fertilize the egg. Sure, the sperm will die, but that isn't what an abortion is.
Besides, if the pill did cause abortions, then women would never have an accident and wind up having a baby even though they were on the pill.
  Send a message via MSN to Kitty.  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty. View Post
Hey Lynn,

Shannon is correct. Birth control pills don't cause abortions.

If the sperm doesn't get in, then they can't fertilize the egg. Sure, the sperm will die, but that isn't what an abortion is.
Besides, if the pill did cause abortions, then women would never have an accident and wind up having a baby even though they were on the pill.
She's very correct! It thickens the mucus so sperm can't enter the vagina. The chances of that happening when the pill is taken correctly is VERY slim. Of course, there is ALWAYS a chance of pregnancy no matter how hard you try to protect yourself because no birth control is 100%. However, when the pill is taken properly i.e. taken every day at the same time, the chances are very slim! So, use this equation to ease your mind: Sperm + Egg = Baby. No Sperm + No Egg = No Baby.

Also, here is the definition of what an abortion REALLY is, which isn't caused by birth control pills. http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Abortion
An abortion is a MEDICAL procedure that is either performed by taking the abortion pill (which the birth control pill IS NOT) or having a doctor perform the procedure in a medical office.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
See the lightning in your eyes

Jeez, get a life!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:59 AM

Yeah...No. It doesn't cause abortions.

And I'm not sure what you're saying with the egg and mucus and sperm thing? Yes, sometimes an egg gets fertilized in the process of sex and your body naturally gets rid of it rather than gets pregnant. This can happen if you are OFF the pill, this isn't just a "mucus" thing, this happens often. That's called a miscarriage. Are all women who have had a miscarriage "murderers?" The answer is obviously no. And honestly, we're getting to the point of it being an abortion because we're blocking a "potential" life. That means every period a woman has or ever ejaculation a man has is an "abortion." This has nothing to do with my views on abortion as a whole, but honestly, that's kind of ridiculous.

So, really, your friend doesn't know what she's talking about, and both these links you have shared are ridiculous propaganda aimed to defund planned parenthood. It's ridiculous, inaccurate, and just wrong to be using politics to scare women out of protecting themselves.

The greatest mistake one can make is being afraid to make one.
Rest in Peace Peter.
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
lynn221 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 04:59 AM

yeah i know its not a medical abortion and one with the abortion pill or in a medical office, its a "embryonic abortion " thats the video is referring to but kk thanks

and yeah traci that is what they are getting at with the blocking the mucus walls, it is blocking a potential life..that is exactly what they are trying to say

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Ignite Offline
See the lightning in your eyes

Jeez, get a life!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 05:07 AM

Well, by having a period, you are blocking potential life. That period could have been a person if you would have had sex, gotten pregnant, and had it. Also, every time a man masturbates, thousands of little potential lives lost. And what about women who just have natural miscarriages?

The thing is, I can't find any scientific articles about embryonic abortions online. I've checked my school's data base. I can only find things on Google from pro-life websites.

The greatest mistake one can make is being afraid to make one.
Rest in Peace Peter.
  Send a message via MSN to Ignite  
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Jeez, get a life!

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 05:18 AM

I definitely agree that the video and link you've provided are coming from sources trying to keep birth control away from the public and those who'd like to have access to it. Birth control doesn't only help prevent pregnancy, it helps with a ton of things too!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: do birth control pills cause Embryonic Abortions - January 27th 2012, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn221 View Post
hey guys, so i was doing some research on my birth control that i am currently taking, tri- cyclen lo and i have found a lot of negative things online regarding all birth control pills in general. I also had a friend of mine (strong catholic) tell me that when i become sexually active with my boyfriend, i will be having abortions i dont even know about, internally. I didnt get what the heck she was talking about and she was yelling at me to throw them out -_- anyways i've been on them over a month now and planning to have sex soon (as mentioned in my other posts) but i just wanted to here peoples opinions on this topic. i also found a website and a youtube video if anyones interested explaining. would just like peoples opinions cause i dont want to start having sex with my bf and be having break through ovulation and no knowing. i wish there was a way to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhZOBqdlE5M

http://www.prolife.com/BIRTHCNT.html
I can completely understand why that video and that article would make you worried about your birth control pill. But I can tell you that those links have no evidence to back their claims and are just flat-out lying to scare you into not using contraception (or their creators are so ignorant that they don't realise how wrong they are).

The links you've read base their claims on evidence from the 1960s and 70s. A lot more research has been done since then, and birth control pills have changed since then. The links are also self-claimed "prolife" sites; they are not unbiased, factual sites which is where you should be getting your information from.

Birth control pills do not cause abortions. The article you've posted claims that birth control prevents eggs from implanting in your uterus, which is the same as an abortion. It is not. If the egg does not implant in your uterus, then you were never pregnant (and you can't have had an abortion if you were never pregnant).

Break-through ovulation is rare, much rarer than the article claims. If it does occur, then you definitely could fall pregnant. However, the pill would not cause any harm to your baby.

Basically, there is always the possibility that your birth control pill could fail (though if you take your birth control properly, it is highly unlikely). But your birth control pill will not cause an abortion. You may become pregnant, but you most definitely will not have an abortion without knowing.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

Closed Thread