TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, birth control and sexual health, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Points: 11,806, Level: 15 Points: 11,806, Level: 15 Points: 11,806, Level: 15

Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 20th 2012, 06:56 PM

Last night I sobbed for hours and was thinking about committing suicide and self-harm. I kept thinking it doesn't matter, it's never going to get any better, I should just end it once and for all, etc.

It was about three pm when I started trying not to cry and having self-harm thoughts at school. On the bus that morning, I thought about how much of a failure I am, how I should just give up, etc.

I wanted to self-harm when I got home at about four, but I just started crying then fell asleep. I started having suicidal thoughts last night. I was wondering what was wrong because I'm usually not like this and then I woke up with blood on my underwear in the morning.

Today I was anxious, irritable, upset, a bit angry, but not suicidal. I didn't think rationally last night and I know I can't think completely rationally today.

I have really light periods other than that though. I get about four day periods maybe five times a year. I don't even get headaches or cramps. This has happened before. Same thing pretty much. A turbulent night of sobbing and feeling suicidal and waking up and realizing I'm on my period.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Kate* Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Katie

Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26 Points: 33,958, Level: 26

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 20th 2012, 07:57 PM

I've had this happen too, in the days before and during my period sometimes. My guess would be hormone changes trigger it.

LHO: March 31, 2008- October 13, 2012

"Freedom is what you do with what's been done to you." Jean Paul Sarte
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 20th 2012, 08:38 PM

Never mind, I feel suicidal again.

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; March 21st 2012 at 12:34 AM.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 20th 2012, 09:59 PM

It definitely sounds like something the hormonal changes are doing to you. Of course, I can't diagnose, so this might be something worth bringing up with your doctor.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
vrgtfvgt4vg Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 21st 2012, 12:36 AM

I feel better now. I'm very irritable and tired, but not suicidal.

Edit: I started sobbing for a while there, but now I'm good.

Last edited by vrgtfvgt4vg; March 21st 2012 at 02:47 AM.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
blumemusik♫ Offline
~Savvy?
I've been here a while

Name: Kate

Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19 Points: 18,635, Level: 19

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 21st 2012, 06:54 PM

I get this every month - in fact, I'm beginning to notice that my moods are very extreme, and very linked to my period. I feel really really low, self harm, restrict eating, have suicidal thoughts, but it's mainly in the week before my period and during my period. Then afterwards, I get much happier.
I would recommend talking to a doctor about how you feel. These mood swings are not healthy, especially if you're hurting yourself over it and considering suicide. I'm planning to see a doctor soon. I've read about this, and heard it can be controlled by hormone birth control like the Pill, or anti-depressants if it's more severe. I can't diagnose anything, but it sounds as though you're showing symptoms of PMS or even PMDD. However, I definitely think that going to the doctor would help you a lot, so you can get the help you need. It's not good to feel like this
If you have any questions, feel free to PM/VM me any time
~Kate
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: Suicidal thoughts and self harm urges before period - March 21st 2012, 09:11 PM

Obviously we can't diagnose you, but really look into the symptoms Katie listed, and talk to your gynecologist. I have very extreme PMS myself, I was never diagnosed with PMDD, but when I was younger (before sexually active) I went on birth control and it helped A LOT. With the technology we have nowadays with hormone contraceptives, it's very easy to treat these symptoms.

something burning?
Closed Thread