TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Sex and Puberty For questions related to sex, puberty, and similar topics, ask here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Louisa

Question the pill...and other contriception... - April 6th 2012, 09:50 AM

okay, me and my boyfriend had a HUGE argument about contriception, i recently lost my verginity to him, therefore have not been on any form of contriception. we were talking about it and we both agreed that i should go on something... we do use condoms but we figured better safe than sorry right? the problem is i want to go on the pill but he wants me to use something else.. he suggested the injection and the patch. i dont feel comfortable with either of these, i mean i know they can affect your body in diffrent ways (particually the injection) and i dont think i want to have to deal with that.... he dosent think that the pill is safe enough, i dont know what to do, the patch would be seen by people at school and in honesty i dont want to deal with those roumers that would go round. i dont know what to do i know he dosent trust the pill and he's convinced im going to forget to take it, but its what i want to take, is there any advice on what i should do, i dont want to do anything he's uncomfortable with but i dont feel comfortable with the MORE perminent forms of contricedption, especially as they had bad effects on my mom and im worried they'll have the same effect on me...

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
TeenHelp Addict

Name: Traci

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 6th 2012, 10:06 AM

Hey there,

I'm glad you're doing something back up with your condoms, and remember to continue using those condoms. Thing is, it's your body. Do what YOU are comfortable with. If you are not comfortable with taking the shot or patch, don't. I'm going to let you know that pills, if taken correctly, are just as accurate as the shot or the patch. However, those key words are taken correctly. What you need to do is take them at the same time every day, within about a two hour radius. This, along with your condom use, you should be fine. So please don't allow him making you feel uncomfortable and having to do something you don't want.

I'm going to let you know that neither the shot or patch are awful as well, but do cause bad effects for some people, and I completely understand why you would avoid it. I'm going to leave you our Guide to Contraceptives here for more information for you. I would also recommend you visit the Planned Parenthood site as well, they're fabulous at helping

I said to the sun, "Tell me about the big bang"
& the sun said “it hurts to become."
Andrea Gibson, "I Sing The Body Electric; Especially When My Power Is Out"
  Send a message via MSN to Coffee.  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Dr.Bobby Offline
Psychologist
Senior TeenHelper

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 6th 2012, 06:55 PM

When taken regularly, the pill is over 99% effective. So, there's another issue there with your b/f, perhaps he's unaware of that and you could tell him. Or, it's a trust issue.

It's always a good idea to discuss birth control and take into consideration your partner's feelings. But part of this could be that he doesn't trust you to remember to take the Pill daily...you might want to discuss that with him and find out why that is so for him.

PM me with the link of the post you'd like me to respond to.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Cullen Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 6th 2012, 09:19 PM

It's your body, don't let him decide what happens to it.

Like said above, it's almost 100% effective when taken properly, and with condoms too theres a rediculously small chance of getting pregnant.

The Quiet Things That No One Ever Knows...
Keep The Blood In Your Head, And Keep Your Feet On The Ground.

Nov 29th 2010 <3

Do I Divide And Fall Apart?
My Bright's Too Slight To Hold Back All My Dark.
  Send a message via MSN to Cullen  
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 7th 2012, 10:07 PM

I think that if your mother had bad reactions to these forms of contraception, then it is reasonable to assume that you might as well. I also have to wonder how much your boyfriend actually knows about these other forms, because the injection is not recommended for younger women. Plus the patch needs to be replaced every week and the injection needs to be taken every three months, so you could just as easily forget either of those (in fact, you'd probably be more likely to forget because there is a longer time period between when you take them than with the pill).

I recommend that you and your boyfriend take a look at this website. It explains all the possible contraceptive methods. You can both take a look at ones that you want to know more about and then make a decision. Perhaps when your boyfriend sees the negative effects of the injection or patch, he will be more understanding. You could also come up with a way to make sure that you take the pill on time (eg. he could call you every day at the same time?)

If after you've explained everything, he still wants you to take a method of contraceptive that you are clearly uncomfortable with, then I have to wonder if he is the right guy to be in a relationship with. If he doesn't trust you to take the pill and wants you to do something with your body that you are uncomfortable with, he doesn't sound like a great guy. This is your body and your boyfriend should definitely not be pressuring you to do something that you don't want to.

PM me!

Dreaming about the day
When you wake up and find
That what you're looking for
Has been here the whole time.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Verità Offline
Formerly KeeperOfMysteries
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Alice

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 8th 2012, 11:55 AM

Honestly, like some people have said, when taken properly, the pill is 99% effective. It's your body, and therefore, your choice on what contraceptive to use. There are ways to remind yourself to take the pill every day so you don't forget as well. For me, I have an alarm set on my phone for a certain time so I always remember to take it. Perhaps you should visit your doctor WITH your boyfriend, and your doctor can explain the pro's and con's and side affects of each with you and your boyfriend, especially the pill.

But just remember, like I said, this is YOUR body, so YOU get to make the decision as to what does into it. As long as it's effective at preventing pregnancy (and I would continue using condoms for all their benefits as well) then you boyfriend should respect and trust your decision.

’Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the [mome raths] outgrabe.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Louisa

Re: the pill...and other contriception... - April 8th 2012, 06:48 PM

thanks this is quite helpfull, im definatly going to go on the pill because i think thats best for me. i am a bit worried about what he will say but i figured if he was happy to just use a condom using both should be fine rit? either way im going to confront him about it again soon, but im kind of nervous... i was looking into it and figured if i use the patch it uses the same hormones as the pill, so if he's okay with the patch he should be okay with the pill. also if he cant accept that its what im comfortable with then, as much as it hurts, mabye we shouldnt be together... is that reasonable???

Closed Thread