TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
momo123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,603, Level: 13 Points: 8,603, Level: 13 Points: 8,603, Level: 13

How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 12th 2012, 11:38 PM

Im paranoid I know. But I am on the pill. take it every day same time etc.

Recently I have become sexual active with my boyfriend however for some reason the condom broke the last two times, he pulled out straight away and did not cum inside me.

I have gotten my period every month since but I have read you can still get your period whilst pregnant on the pill?

Im just really paranoid I guess but what do you think my chances are of being pregnant and any signs??
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 12th 2012, 11:49 PM

The chances of getting pregnant on the pill are extremely low, so don't stress yourself out too much. If he didn't come inside you, then you aren't pregnant.
If you're still getting your period, then that is another sign that you aren't pregnant.
If it will make you feel better, take a pregnancy test two weeks after you have sex.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 13th 2012, 04:12 AM

You can still take a pregnancy test, since the hormone in birth controls do not show up in urine. Also, the periods you have while on the pill are not official periods, so they shouldn't be used to tell. If you are worried, I would take a pregnancy test in two weeks, and start using condoms along with the pill for more accuracy.

something burning?
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
momo123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 13th 2012, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
You can still take a pregnancy test, since the hormone in birth controls do not show up in urine. Also, the periods you have while on the pill are not official periods, so they shouldn't be used to tell. If you are worried, I would take a pregnancy test in two weeks, and start using condoms along with the pill for more accuracy.
We do use condoms as I said it broke. I recently had a blood test so I was hoping they tested for pregnancy too so I know
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 13th 2012, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo123 View Post
We do use condoms as I said it broke. I recently had a blood test so I was hoping they tested for pregnancy too so I know
Generally they won't check for pregnancy unless you ask them. So its best to go out and buy a test to use at home.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Never Forget Hope
I can't get enough

Name: Kelly

Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27 Points: 36,109, Level: 27

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 13th 2012, 08:36 AM

Nicole is right. Unless you request a blood pregnancy test, they won't test for it. And since you said you take the pill every day at the same time, you only have about 1% chance at most of getting pregnant, but if he pulled out each time then your chances are lessened.

Now if you take the pill at different times each day, then you increase your risk. But as you said, he pulled out before he finished. Granted, if he had precum in the condom then there is still a chance. But very minimal and only if he had ejaculated recently and not urinated (this helps push the excess sperm out).

As others said, take a test two weeks from the time you had sex if it will help ease your mind, but you should be alright. Can't hurt to check though!

You can get tests at any drugstores or Walmart (Rite Aid), Target, etc. You can also get some at Dollar Stores. These are just as accurate, though these normally do not detect as early as some and need to be taken the week of your expected period. Also, be sure to check the expiration date on all tests. And lastly, buy at least two tests. It is very easy to get an error on the first test or two.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 13th 2012, 10:16 PM

Well, actually, even if you got your period the first month the likely hood of that happening until you show or start getting morning sickness or SOMETHING that would suggest you are knocked up is slim. Birth control or not, you have your period cause that's your body shedding it's uterine lining WHICH incidentally is where an egg goes... So for you to keep having you're period pretty much means you aren't pregnant.
But the likelihood if you being pregnant on the pill is slim if you're taking it. But if you feel like you have a real reason to worry, get an at home test (x3 if necessary) and/or contact your OB/GYN to discuss it with her/him.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25 Points: 32,429, Level: 25

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 14th 2012, 02:39 AM

You would have to take a pregnancy test, the same as you would if you weren't using birth control. The hormone won't keep an HPT from giving you an inaccurate reading. It will still tell you if you're pregnant. Because you're on the pill and take it correctly, the chances of you becoming pregnant are extremely small. You both did everything the right way. When using condoms and/or purchasing condoms, make sure you check that the condoms weren't tampered with, like the box. If they're opened, bring it to the store manager/clerk's attention, and purchase another box and always check the expiration date. If they are expired, they CAN break.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
momo123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 14th 2012, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aletheia* View Post
You would have to take a pregnancy test, the same as you would if you weren't using birth control. The hormone won't keep an HPT from giving you an inaccurate reading. It will still tell you if you're pregnant. Because you're on the pill and take it correctly, the chances of you becoming pregnant are extremely small. You both did everything the right way. When using condoms and/or purchasing condoms, make sure you check that the condoms weren't tampered with, like the box. If they're opened, bring it to the store manager/clerk's attention, and purchase another box and always check the expiration date. If they are expired, they CAN break.
the annoying thing is we have checked the use by, made sure they weren't tampered with and made sure it was put on correctly. They break half way through sex its really odd.

We are considering bigger sizes. I am going to the doctors on wednesday and I will have a talk to my GP about it
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Coffee. Offline
Condom Queen
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Traci
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44 Points: 95,373, Level: 44

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 14th 2012, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo123 View Post
the annoying thing is we have checked the use by, made sure they weren't tampered with and made sure it was put on correctly. They break half way through sex its really odd.

We are considering bigger sizes. I am going to the doctors on wednesday and I will have a talk to my GP about it
I very doubt you need a larger size, larger size condoms are usually a scam since regular condoms can be stretched over your arm. I would guess this was a fluke, because if it was before the expiration date, had an air bubble, and put on correctly, they should have been fine. Where were you storing them? And were they prelubricated condoms/did you use lubricant?

something burning?
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
momo123 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: How to tell you're pregnant on the pill? - May 14th 2012, 10:31 PM

Should have used lube, we didn't but have bought some now. I have been feeling sick and burping a lot which made me worried but I'm sure Im over reacting
Closed Thread