TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Maybe be pregnant still a teenager (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t101776-maybe-pregnant-still-teenager/)

andrealp May 14th 2012 04:38 PM

Maybe be pregnant still a teenager

There's a possibility I may be pregnant I know it's not right to have an abortion but I'm to young to have a child and I'm not with my boyfriend anymore he saI'd he will help me but I know having a baby is hard especially for a teenager like me am afraid on how my parents will take it

DeletedAccount56 May 14th 2012 07:31 PM

Re: Maybe be pregnant still a teenager

Hi Andrea

Firstly you need to find out if you are pregnant. Depending on how long it has been since you had sex, you need to take a pregnancy test.

You can work out your options from there. No matter what anyone says, this is ultimately your decision and you should go with the option that you feel is best for you and the baby.

It may be a shock to your parents at first but hopefully they will support in your decision.

I wish you the best whatever you decide, good luck and take care.

Kumagoro May 14th 2012 07:41 PM

Hey Andrea,

Try not to stress too much about whether you might be pregnant - stressing could make your period even late, which would be misleading and make you stress even more. Get yourself a pregnancy test from a drugstore and use it when the instructions recommend - some work best the day before your period is due, others two weeks after sex, etc.

It's good that you're thinking about your options now, even though it must be scary. If you are pregnant, then it is your decision what you do next, because it's your body. You might want to talk with your ex-boyfriend or find a supportive family member, or go and talk to a doctor about it. Just remember it's your choice and no-one should pressure you. Your parents will probably be quite shocked, but ultimately they are your parents and they should support you on what you think is best.

Take care :hug:

Harmony♥ May 14th 2012 10:02 PM

Hey there,

Stressing isn't going to help the situation. If you're pregnant, stress can cause some serious health problems for your child. If you're not pregnant, it could cause problems with your cycle, making it come early, late or not at all.

First step: Find out if you're pregnant. Nobody here is a pregnancy test nor a doctor, and trying to say "Pregnant" or "Not pregnant" is physically impossible over the internet...even for licensed physicians. So, I would go to the nearest drug store and buy a pregnancy test. They are usually near the condoms and have no age restrictions in order to purchase them. If you can't afford name brand tests, I would head to the nearest dollar store, and buy one of those. They work just as accurately as name brand tests, even if they are for just a dollar.

When you take the test, follow a few simple steps:
  • Make sure the test isn't expired. There is an expiration date on all pregnancy tests, usually on the side of the package where you open the box. If the date has passed, do not purchase the test, and/or take the test if you already purchased it. It will give you a false reading.
  • Take the test first thing in the morning. Tests are most accurate when taken in the morning, when you first urinate after waking up. The hCG hormone, or pregnancy hormone, is at it's highest at that point during the day.
  • Read the directions. Simple as that.
  • Wait at least two weeks from the time you had intercourse to test. Anything before then will result in a false reading as your body wouldn't even know it had conceived.

If the test comes back negative, take a huge sigh of relief and then get on some birth control. Even if you're not in a relationship and/or having sex, birth control has plenty of benefits (like helping regulate periods and with PMS symptoms). You can acquire them from any free clinic, like Planned Parenthood, and sometimes even on a sliding fee scale. If birth control isn't an option for you, then buy condoms and keep them stored at room temperature until you decide to have sex again (but of course, always check the expiration date).

If the test is positive, abortion isn't your only option, and neither is raising the child. There is always adoption, and there are two kinds: a closed and an open. A closed adoption means that you have no contact with the child or his/her adoptive family until they are at least 18 years old...if you have contact at all. An open adoption means you can have communication with the child, and they MIGHT know you're their birth parent, but their adoptive parent would still have all the say in how to raise him/her.

Abortion isn't wrong. It may say that in the Bible, or whatever, but truly, it's a decision that a lot of woman have to make, and they are strong because they can go through something so emotional. It doesn't mean they were wrong for doing it. Some people just don't have the heart to let someone else raise their child, and they don't have the means of raising a child on their own.

Just find out if you're pregnant or not. It's the only way to know for sure.

survivor16 May 14th 2012 10:28 PM

Hey! I'm sorry you are struggling.
So I think it comes down it this:
1. Find out if you are pregnant, take the pregnancy test two weeks after you had sex first thing in the morning!

2. If you ARE pregnant, I would advise you to tell your parents. It's going to be super hard and even scary, but it would be good to have your parents helping you make decisions or just talking to them about everything. They can help you.

3. Sit with them and discuss your options. Is it possible to keep the baby? If not, you dont have to have an abortion. You can always think about adoption? Maybe there is a family out there who wants to have a kid but is not able to?
Just know there are other options out there, and your parents will know someone of them too.

Good luck, I hope all works out for you!
Pm me anytime,
Shelby

BriaLane96 May 15th 2012 02:42 AM

Hey Andrea,

I know EXACTLY how you feel because i am 16 & have a 3 month old. Since you said your ex would still help...ask him if he'll go with you to get a test. Or even get one & bring it to you (that's what mine did)
If you are pregnant....give yourself time to take it all in before you tell anyone. And even though its a hard job & u are very young, getting an abortion is the least of greater options. But as mentioned above, it is YOUR decision & don't let anyone tell you what to do. But personally, I am glad I didn't go that route.

If you need ANYTHING...message me. I'm here to help & offer support. Keep us posted.:)