TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

I'm really scared. - October 6th 2014, 12:38 AM

Hi all,

I've been sexually active for a while so I feel a bit silly, but I'm quite paranoid right now about the odds of me being pregnant. I've had a fair amount of pregnancy scares since I've been sexually active so I guess it's no surprise, but my period is late and I can't stop worrying about it.

I had the first day of my last period on the third of September, I can't remember precisely how long it lasted.

I had sex with a guy about a week ago. We did it twice, used condoms both times. They were the thin type, I don't believe there was any tearing or breakage but I don't know if he pinched the tips of them. and I don't know him very well. We met on an app, at least on my part mostly for the purpose of hooking up. We actually talked for a very long time and he didn't try to pressure me into anything and he asked about my sexual health before we did anything/if I was on birth control etc. so he's a nice fellow as far as I can tell which I guess is good in the worst case scenario, but anyway. I don't really know this guy so I'm kind of hoping I'm not carrying his child.

I also fooled around with someone like two weeks before that, I.E. a little after a week of the first day of my last period, but we didn't have sex.

I took a pregnancy test today and it came out negative. I was worried I didn't do it correctly, so I took a second one. Both turned up negative almost immediately after I peed on them. I also had pretty real cramps this morning that kept making me think my period was coming but it didn't. Sidenote, my roommate is in the same situation. She should have gotten her period last week-ish and didn't. So there is the possibility that our cycles synced up I guess.

I read that your cycle is a 28-35 day thing for most women, so would that mean that my period could still happen in the next four days or so? And does it mean the pregnancy tests I took are not valid since they are supposed to be accurate from the first day of your missed period? Mine are usually semi-regular, like I haven't actually *missed* a period in a long time.

I just don't know how to quit freaking out and I want my period to come so bad. What are the actual odds of me being pregnant right now? I kind of just want reassurance but I also want to know how concerned I should really be.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Moyshi Offline
i am jack's smirking revenge
I've been here a while

Re: I'm really scared. - October 6th 2014, 02:24 AM

Hey there,

Many things can cause a period to be late. Stress, a change in diet or exercise, illness, etc are all some of the various reasons a period may be delayed or missed altogether.

In regards to the pregnancy test, you need to wait at least 14 days after you had sex in order to get accurate results. If you test before this amount of time has passed, there may not be enough hCG (the pregnancy hormone) in the urine that the test needs to detect.

I know you mentioned about how you've had a fair amount of pregnancy scares before. It's great that you're using condoms as protection, but have you considered looking for another form of birth control (the pill, patch, implant, etc) to have as a back up? When used consistently and correctly, a condom is 98% effective against protecting you against pregnancy. However condoms can break and the effectiveness also decreases due to human error. If you were to use two methods of birth control, it would greatly decrease your chances of pregnancy and perhaps give you more piece of mind.

For now, try to keep yourself from stressing yourself out too much. Easier said than done, I know. But any extra stress may continue to delay your period. You did use a condom as protection so if it was used correctly you should be fine. If after two weeks has passed and you're still late, try taking another test. And like I mentioned above, perhaps look into additional birth control methods to use alongside condoms. Condoms are great but they also leave your sexual health in the hands of someone else. It wouldn't hurt to have another method that gives you more control over your own body to use as well.

Hope this helped a bit.
Take care. :]

A smooth sea never made a skilled sailor.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I'm really scared. - October 6th 2014, 02:36 AM

Thank you for the reply. I was on the pill for about two years when I was in involved relationships, but quit taking it about a year ago for a few reasons, mostly because I went through a break up and didn't even have the desire to sleep with anyone else for a while. I've moved on and can see that it is probably the best option to start on it again, given that I am likely to engage in casual relationships now.

I wish I had paid more attention to how the guy was putting it on and everything, but in my mind I was just like, we're using a condom, so we're golden. I will definitely get back on the pill if this turns out okay.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Re: I'm really scared. - October 6th 2014, 03:10 AM

I don't think that the odds of you getting pregnant are very high given that you used a condom, as long as there was no tears or breakage you should be fine. But you should definitely take the pregnancy test after the 14 days to be safe and ease your mind. Also, a form of birth control should help a lot and as long as you use it consistantly the chances of you getting pregnant are relatively nonexistent, especially if used with a condom.
I wish you to best of luck

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Ambiance Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Re: I'm really scared. - October 6th 2014, 03:19 AM

I contacted the guy to confirm that he did everything correctly with the condoms, and he said he did. Not very phased by the fact that I might be pregnant, so let's hope I'm not. :/

Closed Thread