TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 17th 2017, 03:49 AM

January 16, 17, and 21 I had unprotected sex, although he did pull out.
January 24th I went to Planned Parenthood for birth control and they also gave me an emergency contraceptive pill.
January 27th I started taking the birth control, which is Aubra, which has a very low dosage of hormones. I started it at kind of a weird time, about 2 weeks before I was supposed to get my next period, rather than waiting for my period to come.
January 28th I had protected sex, but the condom broke and so I had to get another morning after pill.

Now, January 11th I had some very light spotting, which I assumed was just from the birth control as I've heard that's a side effect.
Since that Saturday I've been getting period symptoms, but way more intense than usual. Most notably was severe lower abdominal pain and bloating that I believe was gas related.

Anyway, so yesterday and earlier today I had even more spotting and it was getting a lot more frequent and blood colored so I thought "okay, my period's probably starting soon."
(I still don't know a lot about birth control, but I was under the impression that the week you take the 'fake pills' is the week you get your period. I start the fake pills this Saturday, So I don't know if it's just because my period has been postponed for so long it couldn't wait any longer or what.)

So I did start my period today. But the cramps were noticeably more painful than usual... and it was more making me sick to my stomach than it was painful and sharp like regular cramps. So sometime today when I was standing up I could literally feel this large, thick, tissue-like blob fall out of my vagina. I mean, I know sometimes we can feel our period come out, but this wasn't just the usual trickle of blood or anything.
I assumed it was just a clot so later when I went to the bathroom I was shocked to find a... thing on my pad, about the size of my thumb. It was bloody and half of it looked like a clot, while the other half was yellow and bloody and fleshy looking. The entire thing was rubbery and sticky and just... not like a normal blood clot.
(I'm so sorry for the details of this, stuff like this doesn't bother me to hear or to share, so I'm probably terrible at censoring myself. If it bothers you I really do apologize.)

I started Googling right away, as I assumed it was just a huge clot from my period being postponed for so long, but it was different enough for me to start thinking in terms of a fetus or something.
I basically found pictures on Google of things that looked like the "clot" I had and then went to those articles, where some of the answers said it was just the lining of the uterus and about half said it could be a very early miscarriage.
Some of them even said they went to the doctor and the doctor's confirmed it was a "baby sack" or something.

Sooo I don't know what to think. A few people said a pregnancy test would still work, so I was thinking about either tonight or tomorrow picking up a dollar store pregnancy test and just seeing? Would it still work tomorrow? And are the dollar store tests even reliable?
Could this just be a much heavier and "chunkier" period due to being postponed? (My period tracker app said it should've started 5 days ago though, had I not have been taking birth control pills. So it's not like it's extremely late...) I thought birth control made periods lighter, not heavier??

EDIT:: i should also mention that i've had intense nausea and abdominal pain for the past week and for about a week after i started taking all the BC and EC pills.

2ND EDIT:: i just passed another huge clot... this one was all dark red but the same rubbery texture, and wouldn't break apart like a normal clot.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

Last edited by Jess~; February 17th 2017 at 05:11 AM.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Lelola Offline
I've been here a while

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 17th 2017, 04:46 PM

What birth control? Some birth controls can cause you to pass large amounts of tissue with each period and that could be a clue you may need to change birth control pills. Birth control pills can sometimes cause women to feel nauseated.

You should test and quicker the better. If your blood type is - they would want to give you a medication to help prevent your body from making antibodies if it were exposed to different blood type that is rh +.

However, I would lean more towards it being a messy period between the birth control and repeated usage of plan B. Plan B can cause women to have painful and messy periods.

I would still test, preferably today if you can. If you test negative, I would consider waiting out 1 more month on the birth control and if you have similar issues with the nausea, pain, and passing large tissue masses switch to a different birth control. If you have severe abd pain or increase in bleeding, consider going in to the ER.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 17th 2017, 05:47 PM

Hey Jess,

So as you know we're not physicians so we can't tell you for sure. However, I do work on a Labour and Delivery unit at my hospital so I have some information that you might find helpful.

I recently had to take plan B myself, and I got a very light period after, it was almost so light that I didn't really use any pads. Then a couple weeks later I had a very bad period, I had clots, horrible cramps that nearly brought me to the hospital, and I was so sick because of them. So, I believe that you might have just been getting the same type of period that I had when I had to take the plan B.

With what you described when you passed the 'clot' it sounds like it might have just been built up discharge. When you have a miscarriage it sort of looks like a baby alien in a sac, I hope that works for explaining it :nosweat"

What I think is that you should definitely go see an obstetrician and they might be able to tell you for sure.

I hope you're doing okay. Let me know if I can help you in any other way.

Stay Strong,
Brittany

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

(#4 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 17th 2017, 07:55 PM

FYI: at four week gestation, the embryo is only one millimeter long. That's about an eight of a hair's width. The actual sac might be visible but you wouldn't see the form (embryo) itself.

You definitely need to go to the doctor's if you are going through a miscarriage. Even if the embryo is that small, you might not discharge everything. The doctor can perform the appropriate procedure to clear out your uterus.

I'm sorry for your loss. <3

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Jess~ Offline
Senior TeenHelper

Name: jess

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 19th 2017, 08:55 PM

I'm so confused now ;__;

So after the second huge clot the blood seemed to get much lighter, just with a few small, regular clots for the rest of the next day. Now it's like a normal period, so I'm starting to think that's all it was after all.

I also took a pregnancy test the day after and it was negative. It was a dollar store one though so my friends laughed at the fact that I trust such a cheap test.

It makes sense that it would most likely be a heavy period from the Plan B, so I'm relieved.
So thank you guys for the input. It's just weird to me how the discharge looked so much like the pictures these women posted of their miscarriages.
I guess I just have to trust the most likely outcome, because I really can't see a doctor at the moment.

i don't know what i'm supposed to do
haunted by the ghost of you

(#6 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount24

Edit avatar

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 19th 2017, 09:16 PM

Birth control does make your period irregular or more heavy than a normal period. If you are really concerned, I would suggest going to see a doctor. During the brief time I menstruated, I passed dark, thick clots.

In the future, it'd probably be best to use some alternate form of protection if you are not prepared or do not want to get pregnant. Don't ever hesitate to reach out to us again.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
.Brittany. Offline
AKA Reckless Emotion

TeenHelp Addict

Name: Brittany

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 19th 2017, 11:56 PM

Hi Jess,

This is exactly what happened when I had to take the Plan B pill last month, so I believe that's what's wrong. However, if you're still concerned I would go see your family doctor to make sure

Brittany <3

“You are braver than you believe,
stronger than you seem,
and smarter than you think.”

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Calaer Offline
I have the Millennium Puzzle
I can't get enough

Name: Calaer

Re: Miscarriage? *TMI warning* - February 20th 2017, 03:26 AM

Hey there. I've been pregnant twice, and I've had one miscarriage. I used the dollar store tests, and both times worked just as they were intended too. So I think they are reliable. Also, after reading what you've posted, I truly think it's just a very heavy period. Sometimes when taking birth control for the first little bit your periods can get heavier before they get lighter. I've ever taken an after pill before, but you seem to have already had someone with experience with that aspect send some advice your way. I hope you're doing well. Best wishes.

"One day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful." ~Sigmund Freud

Send a message via Skype™ to Calaer 
Closed Thread