TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fairygirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 07:28 PM

It just pisses me off so much. For example: When I was in Wal-Mart a few years ago, I heard a man next to me say "what a slut" to a teen mother with her young child. That just made the anger in me rise up so much. This man didn't even know the girl, and yet he saw fit to himself to judge her! Who knows what her story might of been, she could of been raped for all he knows.
Yes, I do know that being a teen parent makes life a lot more complicated, but you have got to at least have some respect for those who chose to try to be the best parent for their child as possible and not back out(I'm not saying anything against adoption or abortion, both of those choices can be the best, but it all depends on the person).
Has anybody else had a similar experience or agree with me?

Them boys don't know about the wrath that's about to set down on them.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Not a n00b

Name: K

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 07:38 PM

i agree with you completely. people at my school are really judgmental when it comes to that. I hear people talk bad about teen moms all the time

~K~

(#3 (permalink)) Old
AshtrayHeart Offline
Human Wreckage
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Jess.

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 10:32 PM

I completely agree with you, it makes me angry and its horrible. My cousin was 19 when she got pregnant, just got out of her teenage years and people were judging her because of the way she behaved and didn't believe in her - including her family and mine. Now she has her little girl Millie - May and she's such an amazing mom and has prooved everyone wrong.
I know it's not a teenage pregnancy but still it is young and people judge.

'Cause there's no pride to be found when you follow sheep around..

<3 15/3/09 <3
11 months, I love you.
  Send a message via MSN to AshtrayHeart  
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
LalaLynds Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 10:38 PM

I like that you posted this because i have been thinking about this too. I watch the 16 and pregnant show on MTv, and it makes me have alot more respect for girls who have to go through that. It's not nice for people to be closed minded and look down on those who do have kids. We all have our own issues.

"If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it."
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"To win without risk is to triumph without glory"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
LucyLouWho Offline
In that order...
I've been here a while

Name: Chelsey

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 10:55 PM

Well, I can see what you're saying because negative comments are completely unnecessary. However, I don't think that a "teen parent" should get a whole lot of extra credit just for being a teenager who happens to have a baby. In the end, a parent is a parent and putting "teen" in front isn't really necessary. Once you have a baby, it's time to put all of the "teen" stuff behind you and act like the adult that you need to be for your baby. Sure, you may still be a teenager, but I never really understood people proclaiming to be a proud teen mom, etc... Why can't you just be a proud mom, you know?

I realize that some teens who get pregnant struggle with education, getting jobs, etc., but there are moms who aren't teens who are still working on their education, looking for a career, etc. No matter how old you are, there are still struggles, whether it be high school grades or the house payment.

That may have gotten a little off topic, but I've come across this post a few times and that's what came to mind each time. So I finally managed to type it all out.

Previously Mommy.Wife.Student

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Pour the Teapot Offline
Train whistles and cicadas
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Chloe

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 11:01 PM

i definitly agree. just because someone is a teen mother doesn't mean she's any less of a person than before.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
losing touch. Offline
oh, really?..
Jeez, get a life!

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 13th 2009, 11:42 PM

i don't think teen mothers should get extra credit for being a good mother just because they're a "teen." but.. i do agree with you. one of my friends has just had a daughter and she gets treated like shit by a lot of people because of it. you should be judged on how good a parent you are, not how old you are.

..and our dreams will break the boundaries of our fears..

(#8 (permalink)) Old
J&M's Mommy Offline
Formerly SilasLove:)
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Kala

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 14th 2009, 02:25 AM

I agree, teen mothers should not be treated negatively. Or get extra credit, either. They made their choices and are dealing with them. When it comes down to it, a teen mother is a mother. She is doing her duty as a parent. Every person expecting a baby faces struggles. Granted, they may be more severe as a teenager, but that is not always the case. Some teenagers become more prepared than older women who have children. It depends on the person, and how ready they are for the responsibility.

Now, I think teen mothers get a bad rap because they are young, and a lot of them do not make wise choices. They choose the have the baby, but refuse to grow up. And that is unacceptable. And unfortunetly, not every teen mother gets credit for what they do because that is clouded by all the negative viewpoints in society.

Single Mommy since July 2011
Joseph, 4 and Madelyn, 3

my back-to-back babies are 1 year, 1 week and 1 day apart.

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Beautiful_mind Offline
counsellor @ positive mind
Average Joe

Name: chantel

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 16th 2009, 04:43 AM

people think young girls just sleep around and when they get pregnant they get looked down upon. i was 19 when i found out i was pregnant but i look alot younger then i am alot of people kept looking at me throughout my pregnancy and after most of them were old people or other older mums. i think being a young mum has great benifits i love it and would never change anything.
  Send a message via MSN to Beautiful_mind Send a message via Yahoo to Beautiful_mind  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
fairygirl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Ashley

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 16th 2009, 07:53 AM

I agree with you guys about the extra-credit part.
You should be judged upon how well you parent, not your age.
But the close-mindedness of strangers just really pisses me off, sometimes.

Them boys don't know about the wrath that's about to set down on them.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
soul Offline
Any fool can criticize
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Mimi

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 19th 2009, 01:07 AM

Hey (:

I respect any good mother regardless of the woman's age. Parenting is no easy task whether you are 16 or 66. I agree with what everyone has said about being against giving special treatment or extra-credit to teen mothers. When it comes down to it you are choosing to be a mother and along with that choice comes a lot of responsibility. The kind of people who look down on young mothers aren't worth stressing over. They are being judgmental, rude, and narrow minded. I realize it can be hard to ignore insults and stares but getting angry is a waste of energy simply because judgmental people are a waste of energy in general. It takes a lot of strength of character to become a mother at any age and it would be nice if people could recognize that.

Lots of love<3 Mimi

As long as we can dream, there will be unicorns.

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Jessie2 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Jessie

Re: People really shouldn't look down on teen parents. - July 20th 2009, 04:25 AM

I agree, im a father and im 17 right now but I take care of my baby alot when my gf's at school and I can tell you it can be very awkward to try to explain my situation to ppl becouse they just dont understand, infact I usually just lie and tell ppl hes my little brother to save myself another awkward situation, I hate doing that but sometimes I just have too. Iv actually gotten very depressed from ppl constantly judging me becouse as hard as i try to be a good dad all ppl see is another dumb kid who got some girl pregnant.

Closed Thread