TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
BabyPeaPod Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Emily

Points: 8,926, Level: 13 Points: 8,926, Level: 13 Points: 8,926, Level: 13

Depression while pregnant - April 10th 2010, 07:12 PM

I'm 2months pregnant. My depression before the pregnancy was pretty bad and now I have to get off my medication because of harmful risks to the baby. I was just wondering how your depression was during your pregnancys. How did you handle it? Did it get better as the months went along? Another huge problem is I was reading and some women said that they were real excited about being pregnant then the depression kicked in some and now they aren't sure about having there baby and having uneasy feelings about the whole pregnancy in itself. Did you go through a phase where you questioned your feelings for your unborn baby? I'm really struggling with it and it's hard to talk with my fiance about it because he just doesn't and will never understand it and he gets upset. Which I fully understand, I get upset with myself also which leads into the chain spiral. I know I'm not alone in these feelings but can someone share there experiances...

I Love You PeaPod
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Nicolette Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Nicolette

Points: 12,657, Level: 16 Points: 12,657, Level: 16 Points: 12,657, Level: 16

Re: Depression while pregnant - April 10th 2010, 10:48 PM

there's lots of things that can factor into depression while being pregnant, stresses such as being financially able to afford the baby, relationship stresses, wether your pregnancy was planned or not... alot of these things can factor into how you feel while you're carrying.

I honestly didn't go through it but my best friend did, my suggestion is getting up and out as much as you can, embrace that you have a little life growing inside of you. Alot of mom's to be have those days while being pregnant where they're being hormonal and rather moody, what I found helped was going out and looking at all the neat baby stuff out there or enjoying a hot bubble bath and an afternoon to myself.

You're going to be hormonal which will make you feel like things are getting worse but they're simply the joys of pregnancy.

"When it comes down to it I let them think what they want, if they care enough to bother with what I do then I'm already better than them." Marilyn Monroe.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Alicia.C Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Points: 9,873, Level: 14 Points: 9,873, Level: 14 Points: 9,873, Level: 14

Re: Depression while pregnant - April 11th 2010, 07:47 PM

Please go back to your doctor. There are a lot of safe anti-depressants you can take while pregnant. Things you can try to help are writing in a diary or online journal, writing poetry, drawing can be theraputic, most of all, be around people who make you feel good about yourself, family and friends. Remember the blessing you have growing inside you, imagine what he or she will look like, what type of personality baby will have. But please do go speak to your doctor, there really are things you can take. You dont have to feel this way. Pregnancy makes your hormones out of whack and can make your depression stronger.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Through-Glass Offline
<3
I've been here a while

Name: Jessi

Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19 Points: 18,014, Level: 19

Re: Depression while pregnant - April 12th 2010, 01:31 AM

Hey Emily,

I know that this must be so difficult for you. Try to remember that this storm will pass, and you will be so glad that you coped and survived. When you're feeling down, remember that you are strong, you are beautiful, and you deserve nothing but happiness.

Are you currently seeing a mental health professional? If you cannot stay on your current medications while you are pregnant, I suggest that you look into receiving psychotherapy during your pregnancy. This will help you to cope with your depression in a healthy manner.

Also, I think that you should try to explain to your fiancee that you cannot force yourself to feel any kind of way. Depression is difficult, and things you once loved do not feel nearly as important. This could definitely affect your feelings towards your unborn child. It's not your fault.

Take care of yourself. If you ever need to talk, feel free to PM me.

[/url]
"For the first time
in a long time,
I can say that I wanna try.
I feel helpless for the most part,
but I'm learning to open my eyes.
And the sad truth of the matter is,
I'll never get over it,
but I'm gonna try
to get better and overcome each moment
in my own way"

Motion City Soundtrack, "Even If It Kills Me"
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18 Points: 15,451, Level: 18

Re: Depression while pregnant - April 13th 2010, 12:27 PM

I agree with Alicia... there are safe anti-depressants you can take, so talk to your doctor.

I went through some pretty bad depression during and after my pregnancy. I was very excited to meet my son, but at the same time very depressed about it. I mostly just had a hard time wrapping my mind about the fact there was no going back. That my life was going to be different forever. On top of that, I didn't like where I was living, I was still in school, and I started questioning my relationship with my boyfriend. Somedays I really wanted to give up.

How I got through it was by focusing on bonding with my son. I read to him, planned his room and what things he still needed, talked and sung to him, picked out baby names, and just tried to get out of the house and not dwell on things. I also really looked forward to each doctors appointment. For me, it really did get easier as it went along. The more I felt pregnant, the more I loved it!

I'm not trying to scare you. but I would suggest getting back on your medication immediately after giving birth though. For me those first few months were totally overwhelming and I struggled to make it through. Having a baby was a lot more exhausting than I was expecting.

Good luck with everything, and PM me if you need to talk!

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.
Closed Thread