TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Pregnant at 16 (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t61868-pregnant-16-a/)

jasmin22 December 13th 2010 08:38 AM

Pregnant at 16

I have always loved kids, my whole life. I am the youngest of 5 children, meaning i have always wanted a younger sibling. but never got one. now i am seriously considering getting a kid at age 16. But i do know this comes with consequences (getting a job, supporting the child, dropping out of school, etc.) I just wanted to hear from 16 year olds that got pregnant at this age, if this is a good idea, or if it is absolutely not. I also want to hear opinions from non pregnant people, or people that have had kids.
Thank youu :)

taylalatbh. December 13th 2010 11:13 AM

Re: Pregnant at 16

Getting a job isn't a 'consequence' of having a child. The job and the new lifestyle and good finances should come first! If you can't support the child first, then you can't have the child. Are you living on your own? Are you supporting yourself? Do you have a serious partner? Are you making your own money? No? Then you really can't support a child yet. Otherwise you won't be giving the child a decent life, and you could regret your decision to have a child.

I won't bore you with any more details, but you really need to think about this. If you can't support yourself you can't support yourself and a child. I just think you would regret it if you had a child at 16. You've got years and years to have a family and a child. Why do it when you're still a child yourself? Enjoy your life as it is now, you're not even old enough to go out and drink with your friends yet. Do you really want to miss that because you have to watch your child every night?

Just think about it, really think about it. You've got plenty of time to have a child. But in the end it's your decision.

I hope you make the right choice for your life. Take care.

Nope December 13th 2010 01:52 PM

No offense, but you sound very naive. A baby takes so much work and if you don't already have a job, then why even think about it, especially at 16! Yes, you want a baby now, but when you have it you will find out it isn't a walk in the park. You have to get up about 5-7 times a night to feed, change, rock, and soothe your baby for AT LEAST 6 months of their lives, and you have to have money for doctors visits, clothing, food...and let's not forget your own expenses, like gas for the car and a car itself!!

I really hope I don't sound rude, but it just amazes me how many 16 year olds think that life would be absolute bliss if they had a baby. If you have a choice, don't do it. I love my daughter to death, and I'm really happy, but that's because I have steady, well paying jobs as a babysitter and a receptionist, a lot of love and support from my family, and I'm also going to college and high school at the same time.

Please think this over. In a few years, you may be married and ready to have a baby, but for now, please wait.

Nicolette December 13th 2010 04:53 PM

"getting a child?" "job is a concequence?"

Having a job is part of life, you can't live if you don't have money, and you certainly can't raise a child if you're poor and out on the street. Having a baby at 16 is NOT a good idea. I suggest to everyone whom has these thoughts that they look into getting themselves financially set up, that they research the COSTS of having a child, that they get themselves into a stable relationship and a good living space before they even CONSIDER bringing another life into this world.

Babies aren't "fun" like some people think, they're a 24/7 job! You are responcible for keeping a little life happy, fed, dry, secure, and everything else that it needs all hours of the day leaving you tired, stressed, and alot of days feeling annoyed. I love my son to death and my husband and I were ready for a child after being married and together a number of years, being financially stable and buying a house but there are days where he drives me up the wall and back. Its all part of being a parent, yes I love it to death but its not as glamourous as you think.

DeletedAccount71 December 13th 2010 06:08 PM

I've actually met many young women who, in their late teens, go through a period of wanting to have a baby. My recommendation is don't. Having a baby is not something to take lightly; it's a very, very big deal. Once you have a child, your life is forever changed. You can never undo that decision. The things you mentioned that are "consequences" are not such; they are responsibilities one assumes in order to raise a child. Getting a job and dropping out of school are things that will drastically affect the quality of your life and the baby's life, especially at such a young age. The opportunities you could have, and the opportunities your baby could have if you had waited until a more rational time, will forever be closed off to you. So think twice before having a child.