TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Pregnant? or not? - January 8th 2011, 09:38 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Blegh. I post this simply because I have some concerns about my girlfriend and the way she's been lately. I've seen some of the signs of pregnancy in her, and we've already talked about it and she's sure she's not, because of many things that lead her to believe she's not pregnant.

So, I've heard one of the signs is fatigue. Well, she gets tired a lot. But she's been lacking energy (even though she sleeps for 10 hours a night) since she was diagnosed with glandular fever over a year ago (I hear the symptoms of glandular stick around for months, even years). This symptom hasn't really bothered me.

I hear another is cravings for things she wouldn't normally be craving. Well, she always used to tell me off for eating too many bananas - but now she's eating banana sandwiches like they're going out of fashion. What?

She's been on the pill for donkeys and takes it on time without fail. I hear the success rate is good for it, and I also pull-out (yeah, don't give me the lecture on it).

She recently had her period - or so she says. Her periods used to be really painful to the point where she didn't want to move. This period was different (mind you, she's been skipping it since three months into taking the pill - she hasn't had one in four months or so). On the day before it was due to start, she had no cramping and slight spotting. Over the next couple of days, she apparently bled and had occasional pains (but seriously, she used to be heavy with really bad pains) and could still drive and still wanted to drive.

Her immune system is pretty bad at the moment, I think (another sign of pregnancy, apparently). She caught the flu off my sister and hasn't been feeling very well with infections and what not over the past week.

She THINKS her boobs are slightly bigger (yay for me!), but I can't tell the difference.

She hasn't had nausea, as far as I know - she feels "weak" (meaning heavy head/spinning) from time to time, but no vomit or thoughts she may vomit.

We've been sexually active for over a year and had no dramas yet with the method we use. I'm just worried - you know how paranoid boys get. Haha.

Any thoughts?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Jesus Christ. Offline
Führer of the sausage people
I can't get enough

Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23 Points: 25,671, Level: 23

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 8th 2011, 09:48 AM

She's probably tired because she sleeps too much.
Sometimes people have random cravings, I know I do...
The pill is extremely effective if taken properly.
She still had a period though, it's very unlikely that she is pregnant if she's had her period. And periods aren't always the same.
Catching the flu isn't a sign of having a bad immune system, I have a great immune system and still caught it.
Boobs get bigger around a period, and they're forever changing size any way. They could just be growing.
Nausea is quite a dominant feeling in pregnancy, if she was having other symptoms then she'd probably feel nauseous...

I doubt she's pregnant, I think you're putting too much thought into it.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 8th 2011, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.14159265358979323846264 View Post
She's probably tired because she sleeps too much.
Sometimes people have random cravings, I know I do...
The pill is extremely effective if taken properly.
She still had a period though, it's very unlikely that she is pregnant if she's had her period. And periods aren't always the same.
Catching the flu isn't a sign of having a bad immune system, I have a great immune system and still caught it.
Boobs get bigger around a period, and they're forever changing size any way. They could just be growing.
Nausea is quite a dominant feeling in pregnancy, if she was having other symptoms then she'd probably feel nauseous...

I doubt she's pregnant, I think you're putting too much thought into it.
Thanks for the time, mate.

I don't know why I'm stressed about it.
Lots of common factors that I tend to link together without thinking of other reasons, I guess. Blegh on my mind.

Anyway, thanks. Much appreciate it.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Digilodger Offline
Establishing My Digital Home
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 13,259, Level: 16 Points: 13,259, Level: 16 Points: 13,259, Level: 16

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 8th 2011, 11:05 AM

Just a quick question, has she taken a pregnancy test? Usually the home pregnancy test is recommended to be taken two weeks (at the earliest, for stronger present of hCG) AFTER she missed her expected period but, you know, since she haven't miss any period yet, this makes it hard.

Anyhow, at the very least, it might ease your worry a little. Home pregnancy test kits aren't very expensive, and safe; so there is pretty much no potential harm, except maybe your time and your wallet (and maybe your ears, too, if she's the know-it-all type). Make sure you two read the instruction carefully though.

I am fully aware that kits don't give 100% accurate result, but hey, guessing is definitely not helping. My personal policy is that it's better to be paranoid than to be sorry; the last thing you want to happen is for the baby to be hurt because of carelessness.

Good luck!

Last edited by Digilodger; January 8th 2011 at 11:13 AM.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 8th 2011, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoidZN View Post
Just a quick question, has she taken a pregnancy test? Usually the home pregnancy test is recommended to be taken two weeks (at the earliest, for stronger present of hCG) AFTER she missed her expected period but, you know, since she haven't miss any period yet, this makes it hard.

Anyhow, at the very least, it might ease your worry a little. Home pregnancy test kits aren't very expensive, and safe; so there is pretty much no potential harm, except maybe your time and your wallet (and maybe your ears, too, if she's the know-it-all type). Make sure you two read the instruction carefully though.

I am fully aware that kits don't give 100% accurate result, but hey, guessing is definitely not helping. My personal policy is that it's better to be paranoid than to be sorry; the last thing you want to happen is for the baby to be hurt because of carelessness.

Good luck!
We still have pregnancy tests lying around somewhere (honest, they were for her friend who got her period the day after we bought them for her) and she's agreed to take one next time I see her, but I just wanted some mind-easing, you know?

We have taken one before and even though they're not 100%, it was the correct answer, at least. Only reason we had to take that one was because I had to promise my mum she would after my younger sister (14) fell pregnant and since we were sexually active, my mum wanted to be safe.

But thanks for the input, mate. Much appreciated.
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
Klynn Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Kate

Points: 8,281, Level: 13 Points: 8,281, Level: 13 Points: 8,281, Level: 13

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 10th 2011, 02:17 PM

If she is on the pill, it can be making her period lighter and she can have less cramps. The pill is known to do this. (Also if you are pulling out, that's not a no-no if you are monogamous and she's on the pill. The likelihood of getting pregnant when she's on BCP and you have pulled out are super slim, just to ease your mind )

Ditto to the poster who said we all get cravings all the time, around our period especially, but it's not a huge pregnancy sign.

If you are worried, go on and ask her to take the test but if she doesn't think she is then she's probably not. Most women know their bodies really well....and if you are worried in the first place you will see pregnancy signs in her because it's on your mind.
  (#7 (permalink)) Old
Jesus paid it ALL.
I've been here a while

Name: Emily

Points: 18,110, Level: 19 Points: 18,110, Level: 19 Points: 18,110, Level: 19

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 10th 2011, 10:30 PM

It is not likely, but if you are worried a test would not hurt.
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
smallbrat Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 8,092, Level: 13 Points: 8,092, Level: 13 Points: 8,092, Level: 13

Re: Pregnant? or not? - January 11th 2011, 03:56 PM

Have a pregnancy test then. Seriously the chance of getting pregnant even on fertile days is only 14%
Closed Thread