TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
LostTeen011 Offline
Blah :P
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Noelle

Giving birth to your child - March 16th 2011, 05:33 PM

What was it like to give birth to your child. Was it similar to the pain and horror displayed on tv or the complete opposite? Did you feel scared before you went into labor then come to find out the only bad thing about it was your fears?

Pure Imagination

"Music is the universal language that connects the world as one" -LostTeen011

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Harmony♥ Offline
Proud Military Girlfriend
Jeez, get a life!

Name: Shannon

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 16th 2011, 05:55 PM

I wish I had an answer to this. I sort of do, but not being a parent myself and never giving birth only gives me an idea.
I have friends with kids though, and I know they say that the pain can be unbearable, but they do it, obviously, they have no choice too. I know the tearing is sometimes the worst part, especially afterwards.
I also know girls who are too afraid of the needle they use to give an epidural. I seen those things, and I'd be scared of it too! lol.
I personally think it's the fear of the unknown. You never know what could happen during child birth.

I may wear the glass slippers; But my hero wears combat boots <3 I love you, Lieutenant

HelpLink Mentor 6/13/2011
Pregnancy & Childcare Moderator 11/26/2011
Fashion & Style Moderator 12/28/2011
Social Groups Moderator 12/28/2011
  Send a message via AIM to Harmony♥  
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Jocelyn. Offline
Now fight.
I've been here a while

Name: Joce

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 16th 2011, 06:09 PM

Epidurals have made labor a piece of cake (as long as there are no complications and such). I started having some very minor contractions when I was around 5-6 cm I think and they were killer. Oh wow they hurt so bad lol. But then they gave me my epi and I didn't feel anything. I could watch them coming on the monitor and since I was basically drugged I got the giggles every time I'd have one and not feel a thing lol.

I was actually induced and went from 3 cm to 10 cm in just a couple hours. I think my whole labor was only 7-8 hours. Once the pushing started I basically just felt a tremendous pressure and urge to push. It was ridiculously uncomfortable, impossible to move and hard to breathe (hence the breathing exercises they teach you in classes) but because of my epidural I can't say it really hurt until the end when it started wearing off.

I pushed for over an hour and my son's heartbeat started dropping so they talked about having to do a c-section, but they gave me a few more tries and out came my son! hehe. Turns out his cord was wrapped around his neck... but everything turned out just fine luckily.

I ripped during labor so I had to get stitched up afterward. It pinches a little but its not painful.

Going without an epidural, well I really hope I never have to do that based on those few contractions I had to sit through. Not to mention they just keep getting stronger and then having to push through those... Seriously, Ouch. I'd like to hear someone's post who's gone natural.

Edit: To answer your other questions, yes my room looked exactly like the horror and panic you see on tv lol. Just because it was so intense. Even without necessarily feeling all the pain, pushing out a baby is tough and exhausting and you get tired and it gets hard to push. I was doing the sweating, groaning and yelling at husband thing haha (he was supposed to be holding my leg and was totally sucking at it).

I wasn't really afraid of labor. I went into my doctors office for a checkup and he gave me the option of getting induce because I was already dilated. It was friday and worked with our schedules lol so we went home, ate lunch and headed to the hospital. I was kind of nervous but more excited than anything.

Edit again : For the record, I think post labor is the most painful. Getting stitched didn't hurt but the tear was sore for weeks. Not to mention how sore I was just from giving birth. It was hard to sit or walk for a long time. Plus I was just achy from how exhausting it was. There is this big thing about women not wanting to take a #2 after labor out of fear of it hurting so bad and nurses will insist you take some laxatives lol.

When reality is a prison, your mind can set you free.

Last edited by Jocelyn.; March 16th 2011 at 06:39 PM.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
One of those old people ;)
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Amber

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 16th 2011, 06:40 PM

While birth CAN be like that. It doesn't HAVE to be! Birth can be a beautiul, wonderful, amazing experience. You just have to do the research and be educated about what kind of birth you want!

My son was born in the hospital, and while it wasn't a favorable environment (in my eyes) it still wasn't the craziness you see on TV! Since then I have done my research and found what I want out of my next birth, my next baby will be born at home, with dimmed lights and in the water. (S)he will be born into the hands of her/his daddy and from the water we will go to our bed (or couch, wherever is closer) and will bond as a family. Our next baby will be born into a calm loving invroment with her/his loving parents.

If you have any questions about getting the kind of birth you want, feel free to PM me! I will provide you with some great links, books to read, and would love to talk to anyone about the beauty of home birth!

"omg i might be pregnant!?!?!"

"ok..calm down..pee on your keyboard...nope its negative"

(#5 (permalink)) Old
iHEAVENn Offline
.:Try Forever:.
I've been here a while

Name: Amy

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 16th 2011, 08:12 PM

Mine was okay..
I had to be induced because of complications.. so that was scary..
We waited in a lobby in the hospital for an hour until my doctor called us back and said she didn't like the results of the stress test and that she had made a room available in Labor and Delivery for us.

She walked us back, got us settled... then hubby left, and I walked around the main labor floor for about an hour by myself which was rather boring lol.

My best friend came as soon as she could.. which was bout an hour after I was admitted.. We all sat and talked, and played cards. Her and hubby ate lunch while I had yucky jello and chicken broth.. took me forever to dilate and be ready to deliver.

(from 11 am, until 3 am)
We called my mom at 3a.m. and she came. Took me 3 hours after that till he came.

I had an epidural after one of the nurses used me as a pin cushion.. seriously she was the dumbest nurse ever.. "Oh I just can't find a vein!" then the epi man came in and was like... "yeah that's cause your vein is here, and she's sticking you all the way over here"

:|

.:6:21 a.m.:.
.:12-01-2007:.
.:Logan Jacob:.

Baby HunterComing 7/12/14
My Everything

I support Project Linus!
Let Go Laughing
"It took a pair of soft blue eyes, and a smile so sweet.. to make me reach up high, and really dig down deep.."

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Tonight Offline
Average Joe

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 18th 2011, 05:06 AM

Most of the labor was pretty calm and ok.I ended up getting the epidural at 4cm because I knew labour was going to be long and I knew I'd probably end up getting one anyways later on and didn't see the point of going through pain for hours,also I only had an hour of sleep before my water broke.Boy was I glad I got one though.

In the later stages of labor his heartrate kept dropping but coming back up again and at first they thought he was moving too much so they put an internal monitor on him.They learned from that that his heartrate was dropping but not a significantly as the other monitors showed so I was able to go on with labor.But then when I was fully dilated and I tried pushing his heartrate kept going really low so they made me wait for him to come down on his own,which was hell I felt pressure and the need to push but couldn't.Then all of a sudden his heartrate dropped really low but he was too low for a c-section so the doctor tried a vaccume but it didn't work and they lost his heartrate completely so he used the forceps.Luckily he came out crying and nothing was wrong with him at all.Me on the other hand was worse for wear,it took quite a while of uterine massage to stop the bleeding which in my oppinion was worse than forceps even with the epidural still in place and I had a third degree tear.

So quite scary,scarier than what I've seen on tv in my oppinion

You wonder why I never smile anymore,but with broken homes come broken smiles.

Has the acidic rain burned a hole so deep,that we don't care what's beneath our feet?

I'm a freak and my best friend is a pirate-ninja-dinosaur,what a unique friendship!

My heart is so numb,that I can't feel it breaking

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Nicolette Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Nicolette

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 19th 2011, 10:57 PM

I was ready for it, unfortunately I wasn't ready for an emergancy c-section which was scary but there was no pain. I was sore but never really in pain, and then annoyance with the tape afterwards. It was a scary experiance because everything that happened was dior and rather unexpected but I would do it all again.

"When it comes down to it I let them think what they want, if they care enough to bother with what I do then I'm already better than them." Marilyn Monroe.
  Send a message via MSN to Nicolette Send a message via Yahoo to Nicolette  
  (#8 (permalink)) Old
darkangeljbm Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jaclyn

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 21st 2011, 03:07 AM

With drugs it is painless just had work to push the baby out take alot out of you. with out drugs it hurts but as long as you can zone out you can get though it

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Jaden89 Offline
Taste The Rainbow...
Average Joe

Name: Malissa

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 21st 2011, 05:19 PM

I had a lot of pain with my daughter, even with the epidural I felt like she would rip my whole body apart. My son however was opposite. I didn't have time to get the epidural because he was very much ready to meet the world. He came quick and easy with absolutely no pain.

Live Help Operator/Help Link Operator - Please feel free to pm me if you need anything.

Moderator for the Pregnancy and Childcare forum.

"Ignorance killed the cat, Curiosity was framed."
  Send a message via Yahoo to Jaden89  
  (#10 (permalink)) Old
Alicia.C Offline
Average Joe

Name: Alicia

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 23rd 2011, 07:55 PM

Both my labours were completely drug free and only about 4 hours from first contraction to birth. It hurt a lot of course, however, I also have a broken tailbone which definitely added to the pain in my lower back. I had back labour really bad. It wasn't at all like in the movies though. When the contractions start, your body kicks into high gear to help with the pain. My midwife told me to breathe, it hurt less if I held my breath. :/ I also never had an urge to push at all. Regardless of the amount of pain or what not, when baby is out and handed to you, you forget about what you just went through anyway.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
appleberry Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: Giving birth to your child - March 25th 2011, 02:24 AM

I was induced for my son around 7 am and I was okay for about two hours. I had been having some contractions since I went into early labor at 31 weeks, so I was fine with my minor pain in the beginning. At 10:12 they broke my water and things got a LOT worse after that.
For two hours I had what I can only describe as a crushing pain in my hips because I had to wait to give me my epi while they got IV fluids in me. I was cursing a lot, which isn't very much like me.
After the epidural was in though, everything was fine. I had a lot of visitors throughout the day and couldn't feel anything.
At around 6 pm it wore off on half of my body, which was definitely tough. My nurses got it fixed relatively quickly and i started pushing around 7.
I only pushed for 45 minutes, but it was by far the hardest part of my labor. You're exhausted after only a few pushes. But when you see that little person it makes all of the hard work worth it :]]

"Who are you to judge the life I live? I am not perfect and I don't live to be, but before you start pointing fingers make sure your hands are clean."
--Bob Marley

Closed Thread