TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Pregnancy and Childcare If you're pregnant, a young parent, or have questions related to either, ask them here!

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
atelyn-kayy Offline
Artsy Fartsy
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Katelyn

Points: 11,598, Level: 15 Points: 11,598, Level: 15 Points: 11,598, Level: 15

Pregnant Friend - March 3rd 2009, 09:50 PM

Just today I found out that a really good friend of mine is pregnant.
It's her ex boyfriend's, they've been off and on for years. She's in
a horrible state right now, confused, horrified. What makes things worse is she's one of those girls that is
constantly called a slut, or whatever people may choose. Word in our school gets around pretty quick, so the effects of that might sting.
Truth is she's a great girl who's been misguided this past year. Anyway, she's scheduled an abortion.
Thing is, I've told her I'd be there for her for anything. If she needed something or
needed to talk, I'd be there. It just feels like that isn't enough. I know being 15 and pregnant is already tough, but going through a procedure like that
is horrifying in itself. I just want to know what I could/should do, or shouldn't do
in this sort of situation. If you've been in the same boat or have advice, I'd
really appreciate it.

Thanks
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
udontno Offline
</3?
I can't get enough

Name: Amanda Kate

Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24 Points: 29,843, Level: 24

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 3rd 2009, 10:05 PM

Katelyn, if she is getting an abortion I don't see why she has to let anyone from school know. If I was you, I would have a talk with her. Going through an abortion can be traumatizing for some people. Try to help the best you can. If she's sure that this is the decision that she wants then all you can do is support her through it. If you would be comfortable with going along with her, I would offer to. Personally, I'm not sure if I would be comfortable with that but if I was to have an abortion (I personally wouldn't, but for the sake of "what ifs") I think I would like to have a close friend or my partner there for moral support. Does the exboyfriend know about the pregnancy?

I have several links that could be useful for you. This link is about how to support a friend who is getting an abortion. This link is about what to expect if you are getting an abortion. Giving your friend these resources could be useful if she decides to go through with this abortion. Here is a link that could be useful to her if she is questioning whether or not she wants to go through with this process. This link will tell her what to expect after she has an abortion. Finally, you might want to check out abortion laws area. This site has teen abortion laws in the US.

I know I just threw a bunch of links at you, but I hope they are of some use. I've never had an abortion before nor have any of my friends, so I'm unable to give any practical advice based on experience. Hopefully these links will be of some use to you and your friend.

--A
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
abbyxoxo95 Offline
Abby
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: abby

Points: 9,827, Level: 14 Points: 9,827, Level: 14 Points: 9,827, Level: 14

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 3rd 2009, 10:27 PM

Your friend must be completely horrified and I would be too. The thing is if you really get through to her and getting her to keeping the baby alive, you might want to persuade her to having an open adoption so that she doesn't have to support the baby, but she can still see it. This would probably be the best idea for a 15 year old girl. If you watch the Secret Life then take some of the advice they give on that show. It may really give you some ideas of how to help out your friend in her time of need. I hope this helped Keep us posted on what you decide to do!
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
mommieof2 Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Nellie

Points: 11,862, Level: 15 Points: 11,862, Level: 15 Points: 11,862, Level: 15

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 4th 2009, 05:29 AM

just make sure she knows you are there for her...and that she isnt alone in her situation...try not to tell anyone that way word doesnt get around about it..people in high school are horrible...i remember all that.

*Nellie*
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
BrittneyNicole Offline
live with intention.
I've been here a while

Name: Brittney

Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21 Points: 21,441, Level: 21

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 6th 2009, 01:28 AM

Just be there for your friend. If she is planning on having an abortion, she doesn't really need to tell anyone. Don't talk about it to anyone and just be there for her.

"You've just been B-Wildered." -Brian Wilson <3
Trumpet love; Tenderlips.

"Where there is love there is life."- Mahatma Gandhi

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

(#6 (permalink)) Old
punk rocker with attitude
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Jennifer

Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18 Points: 16,645, Level: 18

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 6th 2009, 03:21 AM

Like everyone said be there for your friend there's not much more you can do.

You can't live a positive life with a negative mind and if you have a positive outcome you have a positive income and just to have more positivity and just to kind of laugh it off. ~ Miley Cyrus

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Serena

Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14 Points: 10,137, Level: 14

Re: Pregnant Friend - March 6th 2009, 06:08 AM

Like they said, stay by her side. She is going through a lot and would really need someone there for her.
Closed Thread