TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Pregnancy and Childcare (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/)
-   -   Possibly Pregnant (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f7-pregnancy-childcare/t77871-possibly-pregnant/)

BluEiis June 27th 2011 01:32 AM

Possibly Pregnant

So I went to the doctor the other day..I had been having trouble peeing, and also I was having vaginal pain and bleeding.. Not spotting, just bleeding when I would try and urinate..
So I went to the doctor and told her I thought I had UTI, she took a urine sample, and came back with the medicine and said it was a UTI..etc. etc.

Well I've been wondering, would the test she took show if I was pregnant? And if she noticed I was pregnant would she tell me? Or do they only test for pregnancy upon request?

dejaentendu0 June 27th 2011 01:55 AM

Re: Possibly Pregnant

I have always been under the impression that if you have any uterus/vaginal/etc problems, they tested for pregnancy - just to make sure.
However, I'm not to certain on this and, maybe every doctor is different.

If you think you are pregnant or not sure, I'd still go to the pharmacy or a free clinic and buy/get tested just to be certain you've been checked for it.
Better safe than sorry.

iHEAVENn June 27th 2011 02:48 AM

You can call and ask if they tested for pregnancy.

BluEiis June 27th 2011 03:13 PM

Does the doctor charge to run a pregnancy test? Also, it was a pediatric unit, so does that mean they most likely wouldn't check for pregnancy? I'm going back today for a follow up, and I sort of want to ask about them running a test, but at the same time, I don't want my aunt to know about it..

Harmony♥ June 27th 2011 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluEiis (Post 672361)
Does the doctor charge to run a pregnancy test? Also, it was a pediatric unit, so does that mean they most likely wouldn't check for pregnancy? I'm going back today for a follow up, and I sort of want to ask about them running a test, but at the same time, I don't want my aunt to know about it..

There is a little something called doctor/patient confidentiality. Your aunt doesn't need to know. Ask her to go into the exam room alone, and then speak to your doctor about it then.

BluEiis June 27th 2011 05:51 PM

So I just got back from the doctor.. my aunt refused to eave the room, and she also refused to let the doctor order an ultrasound, because if it is a cyst it will go away after I get my period or something like that.. The thing is, what if I don't get my period..

Pelios June 27th 2011 06:38 PM

Can you buy a pregnancy test at a pharmacy without your anut knowing?

Harmony♥ June 27th 2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pelios (Post 672449)
Can you buy a pregnancy test at a pharmacy without your anut knowing?

I agree. You should try to obtain a pregnancy test without her knowledge and administer it yourself. If this can't be done, try seeing if a friend will be able to help you, and take the test there.

Angel June 28th 2011 01:34 AM

Are you under the custody of your aunt? Is there any way for you to reason with her on this matter?

You should take a home pregnancy test before you proceed from here. There's no use worrying yourself when you can find out your answer in a matter of minutes.

escape_thereal_world June 28th 2011 04:26 AM

Generally a doctor will alwyas test for pregnancy, even at pediatricians. They also will tell you, no matter if someone else is in the room or not (some will be nice and ask to speak to you alone).

Also, if you call the doctor, they have to tell you if they did a pregnancy test on you, as well as the results.

Best of luck.

Harmony♥ June 28th 2011 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world (Post 672860)
Generally a doctor will alwyas test for pregnancy, even at pediatricians. They also will tell you, no matter if someone else is in the room or not (some will be nice and ask to speak to you alone).

Also, if you call the doctor, they have to tell you if they did a pregnancy test on you, as well as the results.

Best of luck.

They will not say the results of a pregnancy if another person is in the room, considering the person might not want that said person to know. It's common courtesy, and part of the doctor/patient confidentiality.

escape_thereal_world June 28th 2011 04:45 AM

Shannon, I know that's how it is supposed to be, and as I said, most doctors will ask the other person to step out before telling. But they WILL tell you if they got a positive pregnancy result. That was the main point of my comment.

Misty June 28th 2011 04:46 AM

If you cannot obtain a pregnancy test, possibly a friend could for you? Either way just try to get a pregnancy test, and what ever you do try not to stress out about it! If you aren't pregnant then the stress would be for nothing! If you are, then go from there being calm about it and just taking everything one step at a time! Just breathe :) Everything will be okay ♥

Harmony♥ June 28th 2011 05:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by escape_thereal_world (Post 672871)
Shannon, I know that's how it is supposed to be, and as I said, most doctors will ask the other person to step out before telling. But they WILL tell you if they got a positive pregnancy result. That was the main point of my comment.

Yes, I understand the point of the comment. My point is that no matter what the result of the pregnancy test was, they cannot legally tell you if there is someone else in the room unless the person who was administered the test allows it.

iHEAVENn June 28th 2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluEiis (Post 672419)
So I just got back from the doctor.. my aunt refused to eave the room, and she also refused to let the doctor order an ultrasound, because if it is a cyst it will go away after I get my period or something like that.. The thing is, what if I don't get my period..

Cysts "CAN" burts during periods.. but those are certain types of cysts. (what my doctor told me last year when I had a huge cyst burst)

There are cysts that are not period related, and can cause a world of problems.

If you even think it may be a cyst you should get an ultrasound done to see what kind of a cyst it is, if it is period related, and where it's located.

BluEiis June 28th 2011 11:44 PM

So, I called the doctor, and they said the only thing they tested for was my UTI. I wasn't exactly clear before...the doctor mentioned a possible cyst and asked if I could get an ultrasound done, and that's when my aunt said no. Do you know if planned parenthood gives free pregnancy tests?

Tigerlily. June 29th 2011 12:10 AM

I'm not sure if Planned Parenthood gives free pregnancy tests, but I do know that they have pregnancy tests at the dollar store, and they work just as well as others. Just follow the directions and read the expiration date, because yes, pregnancy tests can and do expire.

Maloo June 29th 2011 12:20 AM

The planned parenthood I went to didn't charge for a pregnancy test, so yours should be the same :)

Harmony♥ June 29th 2011 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Myss (Post 673513)
The planned parenthood I went to didn't charge for a pregnancy test, so yours should be the same :)

Adding on to this, if you're worried about cost, as mentioned above you can always do a dollar store bought pregnancy test. They are just as effective as name brand tests, cost a lot less, as long as you read the directions and perform the test correctly.

Also, try calling to your nearest Planned Parenthood center to see if they offer free pregnancy tests. If they do, make an appointment to get one done. If not, then try the home pregnancy test. Or, keep calling to different PP's near your area to see if they offer free pregnancy tests.

iHEAVENn June 29th 2011 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluEiis (Post 673490)
So, I called the doctor, and they said the only thing they tested for was my UTI. I wasn't exactly clear before...the doctor mentioned a possible cyst and asked if I could get an ultrasound done, and that's when my aunt said no. Do you know if planned parenthood gives free pregnancy tests?

They shouldn't, call your nearest one and ask if they charge or not. :)

Nightblood. June 30th 2011 06:54 PM

Cysts dont always go away on their own. If you keep getting them or you have unbearable pain or start throwing up constantly I'd insist of an ultrasound

Pessimistic Panda June 30th 2011 11:47 PM

Having cysts in the past I think it wasn't best idea for your aunt to say no. It is not dangerous if a cyst ruptures but the pain will send you to the ER sometimes. As for the test, I would go to planned parenthood. I am sure the tests are free. In my town we have a pregnancy clinic that can test for free/

Nightblood. July 1st 2011 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer (Post 674898)
Having cysts in the past I think it wasn't best idea for your aunt to say no. It is not dangerous if a cyst ruptures but the pain will send you to the ER sometimes. As for the test, I would go to planned parenthood. I am sure the tests are free. In my town we have a pregnancy clinic that can test for free/

It can be dangerous. My sister was in hospitals for months because they found out a cyst ruptured and the blood dried all her organs together. They generally aren't dangerous though