TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Cover up tips
by Angel January 6th 2009, 10:10 PM

Summers here! [Cover up tips]

Now itís getting into that summer season, we all see people wearing shorts, short sleeves and the like. All very good, but for some of us it isnít that easy. We have that worry of our scars being on full show. I know itís something Iím already worrying about, so to stop lots of the same thread and questions, I thought Iíd make a list of the different cover-ups so itís all together and neat :]

I know there's lots of threads of people asking about how to cover up scars etc, but like there's the ultimate SH-help thread, I thought it could be handy to have a list of cover up's in one place, and together, so it's easier to direct people to etc.

I always think that if one personís worrying, then itís more than likely that thereís going to be someone else in the same boat, so hopefully this could be some help to a few of us!

For scars on your arms there are things like:
* Arm warmers.
* Sweat bands.
* Chunky bracelets, or just a lot of beaded ones.
* Big watches.
* Fish net arm bands - if you canít find them in shops, you can easily make them by cutting down a pair of fish net tights, itís also fun and a distraction!
* Dermablend - a camouflage make up designed to cover marks and scars available in the UK and the US
* Skin camouflage available through the Red Cross. It's similar to dermablend, but you can be referred by your GP or a consultant. Click here for more details. There are also other types of water proof cover up make up, so it shouldn't come off with sweat, though it may not stay on if youíre in water for a long time
* For swimming - long sleeved rash tops., or shorts to cover the tops of your legs
* Iíve also been known to tie a bandana around my wrist - I love using that as a cover up - makes me feel pirate-ish

Obviously some of those will only work if there's just one problem area, or if the scars aren't too noticeable.
If you like sticking to long sleeves, kaftan tops are in style again. They're really light and look good with jeans too.

If Iím needing a quick fix, I tend to use make-up on my scars. I normally use a concealer - I use Rimmel London Hide the Blemish, but Iím sure any would work. Iíve heard that LíOreal True Match Mineral Foundation works really well as well.

Scars on the legs can be hidden by:
* Skin coloured tights - it doesn't sound like it'd work, but I know someone with badly scarred legs and skin coloured tights cover them up really well. I only notice them because I know they're there. Tights are cooler than trousers and can obviously be worn with skirts, but also cropped trousers.
* Fish net tights.
* Patterned tights - the detail breaks up the scars
* Board shorts - stylish and great for swimming.
* Long fashion socks - plain bright colours or stripy. Cotton ones are light and cool.
* Combat trousers - light and cool to wear.
* Long skirts are 'in' this year as well, they cover up quite a bit.

Also, scar reducing products. These take time but can have some really good results:
* Bio oil, probably one of the most commonly known. It can be quite expensive, but you only need to use a few drops 2 or 3 times a day for it to work. I've heard that results can vary from 3 weeks to a couple of months, but it's worth doing. I know itís been effective when Iíve used it in the past.
* Cocoa butter, again, well heard of and used. This also softens the scars which will help new ones to heal better. (Make sure you notice itís new scars - don't use any scar products on open wounds).
* Vitamin E oil, use in much the same way as cocoa butter - 2 or 3 times a day, it moisturizes the skin and encourages the scar tissue to soften and heal. You can also get vitamin E capsules to burst on your skin and rub in.
* Tea tree oil. It can also help on fresh cuts, as if you buy just the pure oil, it acts as a natural antiseptic, and can help fend off infection.
* Palmer's scar serum. This isn't talked about as much as the other products, so I'm not entirely sure about how well it works. If anyone has any experience, please share! Again, you use it 2 to 3 times a day, and result times vary.
* Any products for stretch marks can help fade scars as well. There are plenty out there on the market, some cheaper than others.
* Scar reduction sheets. I know that in the UK they are available in Boots, I'm not sure of any stores in the US that sell them, but there are a few places online that sell them.

Another thing to remember with scars is that they're very prone to damage from the sun. So if you do go out in the sun, make sure any visible ones have sun cream on them. The sun will help them a lot, but it's important not to let them burn. Moisturizing scars can also make their appearance less harsh, and will probably make you feel more comfortable as well.

One of the biggest tips anyone can say is to be confident. Even when covering up scars, theyíre not something to be ashamed or embarrassed about. Confidence is a key factor. You donít have to keep covered up if you donít want to, so donít let anyone make you feel as if you do. If you feel comfortable enough to go out there cover-free then good for you! You go for it, and donít let anyone put you down. Remember that often our scars are more obvious to us. We know theyíre there, which makes us very conscious of them. People might look, and give the odd comment, but if they do, itís their problem. Not yours.

Thatís what Iíve found, but if anyone has anything else to add, feel free!

Enjoy your summer!

**Originally posted by Ellie

Last edited by Katrina; February 28th 2009 at 05:12 PM.
Views 15771 Comments 1
Total Comments 1

Comments

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Unregistered

Edit avatar

Smile Re: Cover up tips - May 12th 2018, 05:32 PM

[FONT=""][COLOR=""][SIZE=""]i used liquid foundation and eye shadow to cover my cuts. it works but you have to use a lot of it. and use a brush for the eye shadow because it will blend better.and also each time you put the foundation on take a Q-tip and wet it and wipe the excess foundation/eye shadow from around the cuts. this helps you wear short sleeves without showing your cuts/scars. hope this helps! [/size][/color][/font]