TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Grim-idyl Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Question I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 7th 2015, 02:26 AM

I keep hearing people say (not to me) "You aren't old enough to be gay/bi/trans" etc.

But I'm almost 13- born as a female, but I feel sure at this point that I'm genderfluid, and as for my sexuality, I'm not sure, but polysexual or pansexual seems to fit. Can that still work if I'm genderfluid?

And yes I am young. But this is how I truly feel. Am I doing something wrong here? I honestly don't think so.

Just really confused right now and I could use some help.

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Ambedo. Offline
I'm as sane as I ever was.

Outside, huh?

Name: Sam

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 7th 2015, 07:04 AM

Hey there,

I completely disagree with the idea that you have to be a certain age to understand your gender or sexual identity. Straight and/or cis individuals aren't told that they're too young to know that they are attracted to the opposite gender or identify with their biological sex. Adults even assume that a child will be heterosexual when they're an infant, saying things like "Look at the little ladies man" when a baby boy smiles when an adult woman walks in.

Honestly, I'm convinced that the argument that age is a factor in understanding your gender or sexual identity was invented by people determined to make young people second guess themselves if they begin to identify in a way that the adults in question don't like.

There's no set age for you to start determining your sexual or gender identity. You may find that what you identify with changes over the years, but it may also stay exactly the same. At the end of the day, YOU are what determines that, not your age at the time.

wanderlust consumed her;
foreign hearts & exotic minds compelled her.
she had a gypsy soul
and a vibrant heart for the unknown.
-d. marie

(#3 (permalink)) Old
LeRiA Offline
Insomniac
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: LeRiA

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 7th 2015, 09:46 AM

Who says you have to be an age to be... You? I am a year younger than you, and I found out who I was when I was 10. You can't be an age to be yourself. Also, you can be gender fluid an pan because you swap between the two don't you? So, when you're a girl, you'll date anyone. When you're a boy, you'll date anyone. When you're anything in between or none, you'll date anyone. It's simple .
~LeRiA

I'm not a cutter, I'm a fighter.
These are my scars from battle.
This is the blood of my enemies.
Don't relate me to them, because unlike them,
I'm strong,
and they can be just like me if they try.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
Lilyofthewest Offline
Average Joe

Name: Lily

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 7th 2015, 11:49 PM

It's priceless how teenagers are always seen as too young to figure out their sexuality and gender identity unless it's straight and cis. You're right, you don't have to be a certain age to know what your sexuality and gender identity is. Just keep in mind that your sexuality and gender can be fluid and that your perception of yourself might be subject to change. If it does change, it doesn't mean you're wrong now, as it's essentially down to how you choose to label yourself based on how you feel at certain point in time.

"Looking at the stars; it's comforting to think how small we are in comparison."

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Astrophile. Offline
I've been here a while

Name: Brittany

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 7th 2015, 11:55 PM

There is definitely not an age limit to decide your sexuality or gender. You are able to decide these things as time goes on, but if you know right now then that is wonderful! You have the power to alter these identifications because you're able to change or decide otherwise. Either way, it's alright.

There is no beauty without some strangeness.
-EAP-

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Talk Nerdy To Me.
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Shane

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 8th 2015, 12:14 AM

Coincidentally, I saw a picture that was turned into a little bit of a meme themed picture. It's caption read:
"You're too young to know your sexuality, unless it's heterosexual."

There is no age limit to discovering your sexuality and gender identity, you're neither too old or too young to figure these things out for yourself. It bothers me when people use the "you're too young to know" argument because they can even come from family or friends, you know yourself better than anyone. It's your life, not theirs.
So you do you and don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise! ^^

The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams.

(#7 (permalink)) Old
fallingstargirl Offline
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Estelle

Re: I don't think you have to be a certain age to know your sexuality and gender identity. - August 8th 2015, 12:18 AM

People seem to have answered pretty well, but as to whether or not you can be gender fluid and pansexual, I'm pretty sure the answer is yes. Gender fluid is a gender identity and pansexual is a sexual orientation – those two things exist separately

Good luck,
~Estelle

The opposite of war isn't peace - it's creation
~Jonathan Larson

Closed Thread