TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Let's celebrate!
(Click me to find out why.)
Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Hotlines    Safety Zone    Alternatives

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

• Connect with thousands of teenagers worldwide by actively taking part in our Support Forums and Chat Room.
  • Find others with similar interests in our Social Groups.
  • Express yourself through our Blogs, Picture Albums and User Profiles.
  • And much much more!

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBT, Sexuality and Gender Identity Whether you're LGBT, questioning, have gender identity issues, or have entirely unrelated feelings, this forum is here to help.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Alto. Offline
Come as you are
Senior TeenHelper

Question GSA - November 29th 2011, 02:09 AM

I'm in my school's GSA, which my parents disapprove(and make evident), but they normally let me stay after anyway. After the last meeting my mother asked me if everyone in GSA is gay, I told her no. I only know two for sure who are gay or lesbian and I know two or three who are bisexual or pansexual. She started to ask if I'm lesbian, stopped and said never mind. I know that she's afraid I'm not straight, and I'm not planning on coming out to them(I'm pansexual) until I move out. When I told my older sister, she told me to hide it until then, there's a chance they'll kick me out when I tell them. If my mother asks me, what do I say?

wanderer come home
you're not too far
lay down your hurt, lay down your heart
come as you are.

VM | PM

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Resource Editor

Outside, huh?

Name: Chris

Re: GSA - November 29th 2011, 03:00 AM

Well if you really want to keep it away from her and she asks again, I would just say, no Im not lesbian. But if you feel it the right timing to tell them, then I would do it. I personally would keep it away until around age 18 and your about to move on. They may accept it alot more.

Goodluck.

Best wishes,
Chris

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

(#3 (permalink)) Old
Chasers Offline
Dual-Spirit
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chase

Re: GSA - November 29th 2011, 03:22 PM

Hey!

Chris's answer was excellent, because technically you are not a lesbian. Pansexual is still a fairly new word these days, do your parents know what a pansexual is?

Also do you have a partner? If not, then there really is no reason to worry about telling your parents when they do ask. If they do, just be like "I don't know. I'm just trying to find myself right now" as most high schoolers are and there should be no shame in that at all. And you are young, so your mom shouldn't be pressuring you at all right now. Five years is going to be hard to remain quite.

And like Chris said, if you find a chance to open up with her and have a conversation then have it, but you need to protect yourself otherwise.

Hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you need anything else.

Chasers

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-SuperChick

2 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: GSA - November 29th 2011, 06:34 PM

If you're in danger, either physically or financially, then don't come out. Wait until you're able to safely, ie. moving out and away until breaking it to them, and always have the PFLAG (Parents, Friends, and Family of Lesbians And Gays) information to hand to them if you do. If your mother asks you currently, lie and say you're straight.

Remember, you have the support of your GSA if you ever want to talk to them.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#5 (permalink)) Old
Teddscau Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Robyn

Re: GSA - November 30th 2011, 01:25 AM

Nothing to add. Just noticed that a lot of people and sites talk about not coming out to prevent "being kicked out by your parents", and the like. People kick their kids out? They must be arrogent losers then. I asked my mum (theoretically) if she'd kick me out due to sexual orientation and she said she'd never. My parents would never kick me out (they aren't biggots and they love me), and if they did, well, I don't think they'd want to be sued for child neglect, hate crime, and etc.

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Re: GSA - November 30th 2011, 05:48 AM

Don't lie to your parents, now that's just downright promoting direct immorality.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)

(#7 (permalink)) Old
"Bisexual" Tux (Linux Mascot)
I've been here a while

Re: GSA - November 30th 2011, 06:00 AM

Yes, it happens, but I heard recently on a PBS program (or was it local program on the PBS affiliate...not sure) that apparently there have been studies finding that most parents never actually wanted their kids to end up severed from them permanently--they were just in shock and didn't know how else to deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddscau View Post
Nothing to add. Just noticed that a lot of people and sites talk about not coming out to prevent "being kicked out by your parents", and the like. People kick their kids out? They must be arrogent losers then. I asked my mum (theoretically) if she'd kick me out due to sexual orientation and she said she'd never. My parents would never kick me out (they aren't biggots and they love me), and if they did, well, I don't think they'd want to be sued for child neglect, hate crime, and etc.

Chris
You can always contact me to talk about anything!
---------------------
Proud to be myself.

Need a hug? Please take one!

Image Credit: startingover18 (Tumblr)

last updated on 11/11/17

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Chasers Offline
Dual-Spirit
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Chase

Re: GSA - November 30th 2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Don't lie to your parents, now that's just downright promoting direct immorality.
Even though you are protecting yourself from being kicked out?

So stand in the rain
Stand your ground
Stand up when it's all crashing down
You stand through the pain
You won't drown
And one day, whats lost can be found
You stand in the rain
-SuperChick

(#9 (permalink)) Old
Sythan Offline
Our life is what we make it
I've been here a while

Name: Nick (Or Nico)

Re: GSA - December 2nd 2011, 01:53 AM

Quote:
So getting kicked out and being homeless is better than lying to protect yourself? Not sure that's entirely logical or a smart thing to even consider.

When you arise in the morning, think of what a precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think, to enjoy, to love.

GAY PRIDE!!!!!!

(#10 (permalink)) Old
bbratton Offline
Tabrina25
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Bri

Re: GSA - December 2nd 2011, 03:17 PM

I am a lesbian who came out at the age of 19. However, when i was in high school and my parents would ask i would say no.Now, that i have been out for 6 years, i wish i would have been honest and not lied. I thought they were going to react badly and i was scared so i lied. Honesty is the best policy. But if you are not a lesbian technically you are not lying if your answer is no.
  Send a message via Yahoo to bbratton Send a message via Skype™ to bbratton 
  (#11 (permalink)) Old
Squidgy Offline
Average Joe

Re: GSA - December 2nd 2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sythan View Post
If you're in danger, either physically or financially, then don't come out. Wait until you're able to safely, ie. moving out and away until breaking it to them, and always have the PFLAG (Parents, Friends, and Family of Lesbians And Gays) information to hand to them if you do. If your mother asks you currently, lie and say you're straight.
Perfect answer. The most important thing is you're safety. And parents don't usually ask if you're gay so you should be okay. Lying is okay when it comes to keeping yourself safe (as long as you're not endangering someone else)
  Send a message via MSN to Squidgy Send a message via Skype™ to Squidgy 
  (#12 (permalink)) Old
Chris Offline
Resource Editor

Outside, huh?

Re: GSA - December 3rd 2011, 05:01 AM

Quote:
I totally Disagree with this statement. I believe that if you feel its not the right time to tell your parents due to personal reasons (abuse or maybe being kicked out) then I believe saying that you are straight, or that you are simply 'trying to find myself' is not wrong on any level. Just my opionion.

Chris
I hope you know that you deserve it all. The best, the most honest, the most beautiful purest love in the world. Not only to be loved by others, but to be loved by yourself. To look in the mirror and think "Yes, I'm exactly who I want to be". To speak up and be proud of yourself. To be brave and open. You deserve the nicest and most caring people to walk into your life. You deserve it all, you know. The whole world...

Closed Thread