TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   LGBT- lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t118950-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgender/)

coolkid98 May 4th 2013 04:48 PM

LGBT- lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender

LGBT
So I were looking through the articles already on teen help and I noticed there is a limited amount on LGBT, so I were think about writing an article on it. I was thinking about including:

-Defining lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender
-talking about telling someone
-how to come out
-Homophobia
-Heterosexism?
-Asexual
-Pride
-Feeling trapped in the wrong body
-Symptoms of being transgender
- Changing your body (through surgery)
-The difference between transgender and gay
-drag queens and transvestites?
-Transphobia
-The law (gender recognition act)?

The ones with question marks on are the topics i'm not sure about; what do you think?

Thanks
coolkid98 :hug:

Adam the Fish May 5th 2013 02:59 PM

Re: LGBT- lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender

Sorry it has taken a little while to get a reply to this; I'd say definitely go for it, and include as many of those sections as you feel you are able to write. It will get things edited in and out regardless, so the better (which can mean more detail) the article is to begin with, the easier and quicker that process can become.

I look forward to reading your first draft! :)
(one thing I would say - on some of the sections, particularly the ones like surgery and legalities, try to be as objective and unbiased as possible!)

coolkid98 May 5th 2013 06:11 PM

Ok, will do thanks :)

Evanesco May 5th 2013 06:15 PM

Honestly in my opinion it sounds like you need to do more than one article. :p Some of the things you've got on that list (like surgery for trans* people) would need a much more in depth article in my opinion...

Also, if you need any help on trans* stuff, feel free to ask me, I don't know loads but I have some personal experience. :)

coolkid98 May 5th 2013 06:49 PM

oh ok, I will split it into a few articles, thanks :)

ok, I will let you know if I need any help, thanks for the offer :)

Storyteller. May 6th 2013 01:29 AM

Hey there! Welcome to the team. It's great to see you getting involved.

Like Harry said, it's probably best to do several in-depth articles rather than one that briefly covers a lot, so splitting up your ideas could be good. Also remember you don't have to write them all yourself - you're welcome to collaborate, co-write, etc. If you see someone who you think would like to help or would be good at helping you write a specific article, you can always get in touch with them.

Before you get started, though, we need to figure out which topics have and haven't been covered. You said you've already checked the Articles section, but we also have a collection of articles stored in the Avatar archive, which are still being transferred to the Articles section. There are also several articles in the process of being discussed/written, for example here, so it couldn't hurt to have a look through those. And if you want to know if there are any articles about a certain topic, you can PM the Editor for that section, or the Articles Officer (ie. me) and ask about it.

Also, remember to read through the Guidelines if you haven't already, just to make sure you're on the right track.

Once again, welcome, and feel free to get in touch if you need anything. I think all of these are good ideas - in particular I find that we tend to skim over the 'gender' part of LGBT+, so that might be a good place to start. :)

coolkid98 May 6th 2013 08:34 AM

oh ok, so maybe do 4 articles on each of the LGBT? so I can focus on each one in more detail.

What do you think?

Coffee. May 6th 2013 08:48 AM

From this list, you can write MANY articles! I think we can split the topics up into very focused, shorter articles rather than the longer ones that I tend to write. :nosweat:

I think a great idea would be the article about drag queens and transvestites. Many people think that being transgender and a transvestite is the same thing, or other weird beliefs on that, along with very often thinking that those who dress in drag identify as that sex. Plus, we have absolutely NOTHING on that topic, so I think that's my favorite of all your suggestions.

coolkid98 May 6th 2013 09:11 AM

Ok, I will start to write an article on drag queens and transvestites :)

coolkid98 May 6th 2013 10:29 AM

I've got a few starting paragraphs for the article :) Is there anyone who I would be able to send it to? as I don't know what else to write. Should I include about Transphobia as it kind of links?

thanks
jenny

Adam the Fish May 6th 2013 10:49 AM

You're welcome to add Transphobia if you wish.
Just post it here and we can all have a look through it. :)

Storyteller. May 6th 2013 11:19 AM

This article is now being worked on here. :)