TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Sammichez Offline
/人◕‿‿◕人\
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Abigail (or Abbi)

Points: 9,286, Level: 14 Points: 9,286, Level: 14 Points: 9,286, Level: 14

Trans or Genderqueer? - August 8th 2013, 06:35 AM

Okay, I don't know if I want to be a girl or have no gender at all anymore. I've decided that I'm unhappy as a man but I'm not sure if gender is for me. I'm still strongly considering getting hormone replacement thearapy when I turn 16 (which is too long of a wait) but I sometimes feel that gender is pointless and dumb (at least for me). I don't know what to do with my gender anymore. I want to be a girl but at the same time I don't want anything to do with gender.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lamia Offline
Snake Goddess
Not a n00b

Name: Katherine

Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16 Points: 12,630, Level: 16

Re: Trans or Genderqueer? - August 8th 2013, 08:16 PM

Just because you go through hormone replacement surgery and end up with a more feminine body doesn't mean you have to be female. If you would like to look more feminine, but not identify with any gender at all, that's perfectly fine. If you decide that, yes, you are female and want to appear and present that way, that's fine too. If you want to not take hormones and stay masculine looking, but identify as female or no gender, that's fine too. If you identify with both genders, that's also perfectly alright.

Perhaps if you are unsure if gender is for you, instead of setting out with the idea of "I want to present as female and identify that way" you could instead just think if how you want to be, without regards to masculine or feminine. Do you want breasts? Long hair? How might you want to dress? Do you want to take steps towards making your voice sound more feminine or are you perfectly fine with how it is? Which pronouns feel better? He/Him, She/Her, They/Them? You don't have to identify with a specific gender to want or have traits that are usually associated with that gender. I'm trans, male to female, but I still dress in clothes more typically identified as masculine sometimes because those cloths are just comfortable for me that day, and some of my shirts have cool designs and neat quotes that I like. Doesn't make me any less female. If you think gender isn't for you, but you still want to make your body more feminine, then go for it!

tl:dr Don't worry so much about sticking a label on who or what you are, just figure out what makes you feel best and do that!

Hope that helps! Feel free to PM me any time as well.

-Kat

Buddy Since 5/12/13

Live Help Access Since 8/4/13

Chat Moderator Since 12/26/13

Videos Team Member since 1/11/14

PM me if you need anything at all ♥

Last edited by Lamia; August 8th 2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: Typo
Closed Thread