TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16

Anybody else..? (A question for the trans) - April 27th 2009, 10:40 PM

Hey... I was just curious about this.
I'm probably not alone in that banks and similar places refuse to serve me because all of my credentials are in my guy name (No chance of changing anything yet since I've still only officially come out to my mum out of all my family), and it really can get frustrating. I was just wondering what other trans people do in that sort of situation...
Thanks for reading (:
xx
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Lost and Found Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Ash

Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14 Points: 10,014, Level: 14

Re: Anybody else..? (A question for the trans) - April 28th 2009, 01:24 PM

How is it that, you can manage to be open and feminine enough to have this problem and only be out to your mom? Unless the rest of your family lives elsewhere. They must be pretty slow. :P

I actually had that problem when I was getting my school ID made last year. But I just looked her in the eye and said "This is me". I didn't realize why she thought it wasn't until a minute later though. Heh.

It was kind of funny, but I can see this being a problem if it's happening all of the time. Though I'm sure there are cisgendered girls with boys names too, (though, if your old name is as masculine as mine was feminine, that might make things tough) so maybe if you're just more assertive with them, they'll believe you. Though I can see it also being frustrating to insist that you are a name you don't identify with. But I don't know what else you can do.

Good luck with coming out to your family and getting your name changed and all. And with working around your old name until then. It's a pain, but when it's all over you don't have to go through it ever again.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Yikes!
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Unnameable

Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16 Points: 12,296, Level: 16

Re: Anybody else..? (A question for the trans) - April 29th 2009, 09:32 PM

Well, my dad is pretty slow at the best of times and I've never really been in any way "Masculine"... so he's never really been 'shocked' at how feminine I come across... and I know my sister (who lives at university) suspects... even if she hasn't mentioned anything to me.

I lack the self-confidence to be assertive with them tbh ^^ It's annoying, I know, they just have to glare at me (or look suspicious) and I'm pretty speechless so I just shuffle away...

Anyway, thankyou for your advice, I'm definitely gonna try keeping it in mind. Still dreading coming out to the rest of the family though xD
xx
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
.commers
Average Joe

Name: Michael

Points: 9,988, Level: 14 Points: 9,988, Level: 14 Points: 9,988, Level: 14

Re: Anybody else..? (A question for the trans) - April 30th 2009, 10:52 AM

You could try and change it to just initials?
I know a fair amount of people who just walk in explain and change it so it has initails on it only?

The one problem Im having is im not married or legally change mine yet so getting to this point is frustrating as my bank is being an arse about it
Closed Thread