TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Insecurities in a trans relationship - September 5th 2014, 02:23 AM

This thread has been labeled as non-PG13 by the original poster or by a Moderator. The contents of this thread might therefore not be suitable for younger users. Please take this into consideration before continuing to read.

Hey all. This is technically about trans relationships and sexuality, but I feel it has more to do with the trans issues than sex itself, so I decided to post it here. Feel free to move it if necessary.

I am a bisexual, cis-female who until recently has only ever dated cis-men and cis-women. However, a couple of months ago I started dating a transwoman. Because I have never dated anyone outside of the binary gender spectrum before I was a bit concerned about how things would go at first, but we really hit it off. She's a wonderful woman and I really like her.

In the last few weeks we have begun to take our relationship to the next level, physically speaking. I am wildly attracted to her and she is wildly attracted to me. She's definitely fun to be with. However, she is pre-op, and we have found that despite our attraction to one another she has a lot of trouble staying hard. We haven't been able to very successfully have sex yet. I do not take her trouble with arousal personally, but when I asked her what was going on she said she was dealing with a lot of insecurities.

The situation got more awkward for me when she asked me on the spot if I would still be interested in her if we never have sex. I felt very uncomfortable. The simple answer is yes, I still like her and would still want to date her, but I honestly don't know how I feel about it. Sex is a really important part of committed relationships and connection to me, and I'd have to do some serious readjusting if I were to commit to someone I knew I would never have sex with.

I like her, and I want us to be able to be intimate together, because that would be really awesome. What insecurities do transwomen generally have, especially regarding body image and sex? What can I do to help her with her insecurities? I know I can't fix them, but I would like to make it easier for her. All suggestions are appreciated.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Hiraeth Offline
Glorious raindrops
Experienced TeenHelper

Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18 Points: 15,685, Level: 18

Re: Insecurities in a trans relationship - September 5th 2014, 02:27 AM

I would say experiment with ways of being intimate that doesn't involve the body part which triggers her dysphoria.

"If limitations exist, it is because we have erased the possibility of potential."

Feel free to PM me if you ever need anything.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Lillibette Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 5,723, Level: 11 Points: 5,723, Level: 11 Points: 5,723, Level: 11

Re: Insecurities in a trans relationship - September 5th 2014, 04:48 AM

Hi! I'm married to a trans woman. And I second the advice above. There are so many ways to have sexual activity that don't involve using the parts that trigger her dysphoria. It might take some finagling around with everything, but there are definitely ways. All I can suggest is communicating with her about what she likes and doesn't like, and what she'd prefer doing (and that you'd be happy doing, too), basically.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Evanesco Offline
Linguistics geek
Outside, huh?

Name: Harrison (or Harri)

Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28 Points: 38,514, Level: 28

Re: Insecurities in a trans relationship - September 8th 2014, 04:36 PM

I'm speaking from my own personal experience, which is as a trans man, not a trans woman.

Communication is important! Talk to her about what she likes and what she doesn't like. There are ways to have sex, or be intimate, without triggering dysphoria (for most people, obviously for some people dysphoria will be too bad). My partner and I have found ways to be intimate without genitals coming into it at all. It takes some experimenting and an open mind, but it is something the two of you hopefully will be able to work out.

Join the Skeleton Clique on TH
Do you wanna come with me? 'Cause if you do, then I should warn you - you're gonna see all sorts of things. Ghosts from the past. Aliens from the future. The day the Earth died in a ball of flame. It won't be quiet, it won't be safe, and it won't be calm. But I'll tell you what it will be: The trip of a lifetime!

Don't trust a perfect person and don't trust a song that's flawless.
RIP Granddad Terry. I'll miss you.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
FireHeart Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Name: Jade

Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13 Points: 8,056, Level: 13

Re: Insecurities in a trans relationship - September 11th 2014, 01:42 AM

I dated a transman for awhile and we got really sexual with each other. The most important thing is communication. Asking what they like and what they don't like, what they feel like they want, etc. The first time my partner had sex with anyone he did it with his clothes still on, it was the only way he was comfortable with someone touching him in places that triggered his dysphoria. Your partner needs to know that you love them and that you're willing to be very flexible and understanding about their needs. Establish trust and establish trust and establish even more trust.
I think it's great that you respect your partners wishes and I wish you the best of luck

HAPPINESS is just waiting for me to take it; I truly believe that now.
~SCARS
Closed Thread