TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

View Poll Results: Have you transitioned as a trans athlete?
Yes 0 0%
No 2 100.00%
Voters: 2. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Mhk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lily

Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10

Question Coming out as trans in a sports team - April 6th 2015, 12:02 AM

So I have yet to come out as trans to my sports team. For all they know to be true, I am a straight male. I like guys, and I am not a guy. I feel quite a bit of pressure from my team-mates to be like them - go to parties, have sex and go shirtless whenever possible. I have two questions I would like to ask here:

1. How do I come out to my teammates and transition as a female when I don't get along with my female teammates very well?

2. How can I create and maintain relationships with my female teammates after I do come out?

3. How do I come out without causing alarms(with mtf sports issues)?

Honestly, I would be so greatful if anyone knows anything about this. I have searched the web for transitioning as an athlete and have found nothing.
Thank you,
MK
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Superstar

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59 Points: 172,604, Level: 59

Re: Coming out as trans in a sports team - April 6th 2015, 12:24 AM

I think that an important thing to remember is safety. Make sure that you would still be safe on the team if you were to come out.

I think that a lot of it will have to do with educating your teammates. A lot of them may not know what his means for you or for them, so it may help to print out pamphlets that will help you to educate them a bit more, and it may also be useful to let them know that they can ask you any questions they need to that may help them to clarify things, as long as they are polite about it.

Let them know that you coming out doesn't change who you are. You still have the same personality after all.

Do you think it'd be useful to talk to your coach first and pass these questions by them, so they can prepare a bit and give you some advice on any sports-related issues or even addressing your teammates?

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Mhk Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Lily

Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10 Points: 5,053, Level: 10

Re: Coming out as trans in a sports team - April 6th 2015, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *~Skittlify~* View Post

Do you think it'd be useful to talk to your coach first and pass these questions by them, so they can prepare a bit and give you some advice on any sports-related issues or even addressing your teammates?
Yeah, I feel as though that would be a really good idea. Thank you so much
Closed Thread