TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity This forum is for you to explore your sexuality and identity, whatever that may be.

View Poll Results: In your opinion what is the greatest factor in blocking LGBT into the military
Sexual Tension/Invasion of privacy 13 65.00%
Special training required for LGBT 2 10.00%
Raised issues in the military 5 25.00%
other 9 45.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. This poll is closed

Closed Thread

(#41 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I am immortal. So far so good.
I can't get enough

Name: Matthew

Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28 Points: 38,917, Level: 28

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan View Post
buddy, trust me, there are lotts of current military soldiers who ARENT SCARY AT ALL!
Difference is, most male soldiers are, but I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't be intimidated by a woman.
  (#42 (permalink)) Old
noise94 Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 36,364, Level: 27 Points: 36,364, Level: 27 Points: 36,364, Level: 27

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 11:55 AM

Please, stop with the stereotyping. I know very few gay men who are camp. Sexuality has nothing to do with ability to fight. Gay men are also not horny all the time and aren't going to jump on you just because you're male. In fact, a lot of them would probably already be in a loving relationships with people outside the military.
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#43 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Name: Dave

Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20 Points: 19,936, Level: 20

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post

Difference is, most male soldiers are, but I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't be intimidated by a woman.
I'd recommend watching the reimagined Battlestar Galactica's portrayals of Starbuck and Admiral Cain if you believe that to be the case. You will find that women are just as capable of being intimidating as men, and I can think of a number of other examples I could bring to bear.

A lot of the objections raised do seem to be based on stereotypes, and I find that quite frustrating. I would ask those objecting to provide evidence that the armed forces of the other NATO countries (including the UK), Russia or Australia and New Zealand have been detrimentally affected by allowing LGBT servicemen and servicewomen. I certainly cannot find any.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMFG!You'reActuallySmart! View Post
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#44 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr2005 View Post
I'd recommend watching the reimagined Battlestar Galactica's portrayals of Starbuck and Admiral Cain if you believe that to be the case. You will find that women are just as capable of being intimidating as men, and I can think of a number of other examples I could bring to bear.

A lot of the objections raised do seem to be based on stereotypes, and I find that quite frustrating. I would ask those objecting to provide evidence that the armed forces of the other NATO countries (including the UK), Russia or Australia and New Zealand have been detrimentally affected by allowing LGBT servicemen and servicewomen. I certainly cannot find any.
I disagree, and I have several wars of evidence to back me up.
  (#45 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:

I disagree, and I have several wars of evidence to back me up.
If you indeed have such evidence of detriment directly linked to the presence of LGBT servicemen and servicewomen, I would be quite keen to hear it. Merely saying "several wars" is not really sufficient.

"The greatest glory in living lies not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

However bleak things seem, however insurmountable the darkness appears, remember that you have worth and nothing can take that away.

Quote:
If you're referring to dr2005's response, it's not complex, however, he has a way with words .
RIP Nick
  (#46 (permalink)) Old
dancinfool Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16 Points: 12,309, Level: 16

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 05:05 PM

To suggest that someone is any less physically intimidating because they are gay is ridiculous- there's lots of things that affect how 'scary' someone can be but I'm pretty sure sexuality isn't one of them...
  (#47 (permalink)) Old
forfrosne Offline
I can't get enough

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 14th 2010, 06:15 PM

Quote:
If you indeed have such evidence of detriment directly linked to the presence of LGBT servicemen and servicewomen, I would be quite keen to hear it. Merely saying "several wars" is not really sufficient.
I don't have actual links, as I don't remember every URL I've ever seen but I remember at least one story where a group of female US soldiers stormed a building in Iraq (I believe) and they shouted for the terrorists inside to give up, and they just said no. Of course having a gun helps but put this way, same equipment, who's going to be more intimidating, a man or a woman?

Anyway, this is inconsequential, and for another topic. I think some people are misunderstanding my views however. I am totally for gay people to be in the military, I was simply asking people to consider both sides of the argument in that it does add a reputation, whether for good or for bad is up for other people to decide.
  (#48 (permalink)) Old
Spicy_ Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 15th 2010, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil'TeppyLala View Post
Please, stop with the stereotyping. I know very few gay men who are camp. Sexuality has nothing to do with ability to fight. Gay men are also not horny all the time and aren't going to jump on you just because you're male. In fact, a lot of them would probably already be in a loving relationships with people outside the military.
EXACTLY!! See why can't our leader see this? Everyone bases this law with typical streotypes. People need to see past this, people dont even know how much LGBT are in the military but in hiding. We have yet to witness a recent problem with them? People can't even tell them apart, we fight just as good, maybe even better

Through darkness does the light shine even brighter
PM/VM
  (#49 (permalink)) Old
Kyeto-X Offline
Angel without a Halo
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Will

Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18 Points: 16,580, Level: 18

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 16th 2010, 01:04 AM

Quote:

I don't have actual links, as I don't remember every URL I've ever seen but I remember at least one story where a group of female US soldiers stormed a building in Iraq (I believe) and they shouted for the terrorists inside to give up, and they just said no. Of course having a gun helps but put this way, same equipment, who's going to be more intimidating, a man or a woman?

Anyway, this is inconsequential, and for another topic. I think some people are misunderstanding my views however. I am totally for gay people to be in the military, I was simply asking people to consider both sides of the argument in that it does add a reputation, whether for good or for bad is up for other people to decide.
So if someone storms your building, points a M16 at you and your buddies and happens to have a lisp saying "Get down on the ground, peoplesssss. We mean busssssinessss..." You would NOT obey them??

I have seen men in full combat attire and look silly. I have also seen women armed with wooden sppons that scared the shit out of me (namely my mother). Having ovaries, long hair, or a an affection for romantic comedies (all of which are stereotypes) Deos not in ANY way ruin combat effectiveness. It has to do with strength of character, not the depth of your voice. If you need to have a deep voice to be imtimiating, we have technology for that availiable in toy stores everywhere. It's call ed a voice changer :P

Or we could just put Goa'uld in their heads :P

First of all, having a lisp or dancing around in fairy costumes does not make you gay any more then wearing a football jeresey and crushing a beercan on your head makes you straight. Second, It really doesn't matter HOW your voice sounds when you have a rifle in your hand, people will generally respond in the same way (fight, flight, or freeze) whether or not you roll your r's. and Thirdly, Again, as stated above, The militray have STRICT unifomr requirments that allows NO room for pink fairy tutu's over active camo.

I do not think that allow LGBTs into our military is going to effect our "fearsome" factor at all.

"One of the things I regret the most of being able to imagine anything,
is having to fear nothing"

"Realty is a lot more malleable then most people think.
They just refuse to believe that they can do anything about it."

"If a simple electron has a small,
but nonzero chance of doing the impossible,
what is stopping us from doing the same thing?"

-Wise Sayings from a Raving Lunatic
Follow me and my new book on Facebook!

Last edited by Kyeto-X; December 16th 2010 at 01:16 AM.
  (#50 (permalink)) Old
Guile Offline
Head Jimmie Rustler
I've been here a while

Name: Guile

Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21 Points: 22,144, Level: 21

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 16th 2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:

Ahh yes, the fearsome fighting forces of New Zealand, I cower in fear at the thought. They're about as scary as the SS, riding around in tanks with the death's head on their hats and destroying anything in their way with their fearsome gay battalions. Yes, after fighting the British, and winning, the Germans, and winning, the Germans again and wining, the Koreans, and winning, the Communists and winning, and... ohh wait I am talking about the USA, thecountry that doesn't let gays in. If some man ran up to me and started demanding my surrender in a lisp, sure, scary, but I'd die from laughing first, "Uhhhm excuse me, sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put fown your scary guns, it's not right to shoot people, mmmkay, so let's put them down and all be friends, mmmmkay doll?" Hahahaha..... But seriosuly, simply for bunking reasons it's not okay.

Space Flight Awards

Geosynchronous Orbit (Kerbin)
Manned Capsule and return (Kerbin)
Space Station and Docking (Kerbin)
Equatorial/Polar Probe (Mun)
Landing Resulting in the Loss of a Kerbanaut (Mun)
  (#51 (permalink)) Old
Spicy_ Offline
愛してる
Senior TeenHelper

Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19 Points: 17,982, Level: 19

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 16th 2010, 06:36 AM

Guile,

In general, may I ask how you know that LGBT wont be a good idea in the military? Never did you back up your statements, you just replyed back with a quick statement, and when people prove you wrong, you just change the subject?

Through darkness does the light shine even brighter
PM/VM
  (#52 (permalink)) Old
dr2005 Offline
Legal Beagle
I can't get enough

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 16th 2010, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guile View Post
Ahh yes, the fearsome fighting forces of New Zealand, I cower in fear at the thought. They're about as scary as the SS, riding around in tanks with the death's head on their hats and destroying anything in their way with their fearsome gay battalions. Yes, after fighting the British, and winning, the Germans, and winning, the Germans again and wining, the Koreans, and winning, the Communists and winning, and... ohh wait I am talking about the USA, thecountry that doesn't let gays in. If some man ran up to me and started demanding my surrender in a lisp, sure, scary, but I'd die from laughing first, "Uhhhm excuse me, sir, I'm going to have to ask you to put fown your scary guns, it's not right to shoot people, mmmkay, so let's put them down and all be friends, mmmmkay doll?" Hahahaha..... But seriosuly, simply for bunking reasons it's not okay.
Leaving aside the woefully scant outlook of world military history you just gave there (War of 1812, Korean War being a stalemate, Vietnam War and Somalia), not to mention a distinct lack of awareness of the participation of the New Zealand Army in a number of conflicts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zeland_Army), the US Armed Forces do allow LGBT servicemen and servicewomen contrary to your assertion, even if they are not permitted to reveal their sexuality ("Don't Ask, Don't Tell" anyone?). The rest of your post is merely baseless stereotyping which warrants no comment whatsoever. In any event, nothing you have stated above demonstrates detriment to the armed forces I mentioned based solely on their decision to permit LGBT servicemen and servicewomen. So if you have evidence, now is the time.

Quote:
RIP Nick
  (#53 (permalink)) Old
Fictional Offline
Nom ;D
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Jessy

Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21 Points: 21,362, Level: 21

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 18th 2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan View Post
You have this all wrong. Our army (America in general) is not made for killing, we defend our freedom. We only kill if need be. With out a millitary we wouldn't be free like how we are now. We been in chaos and with no right going on.
Our army (The one in the UK where I live) keeps going to fight America's wars and is killing innocent civilians on the other side of the world when they did nothing to provoke us into doing it.

Cba to read the other posts.

There's always light at the end of a tunnel, even if you have to pass a few bends to see it.

Proud reciever of a glance from Kyo xD

Mada tooi anataboshi
  (#54 (permalink)) Old
I can't get enough

Name: Rachel

Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21 Points: 21,551, Level: 21

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 18th 2010, 10:53 PM

Repealed!
http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...-ask-dont-tell

(RAH)² + (AH)³ + RO(MA + MAMA) + (GA)² + OOH + (LA)² = Bad Romance

Religion is like a penis.
It's fine to have one.
It's fine to be proud of it.
But please don't whip it out in public and start waving it around.
And PLEASE don't try and shove it down my throat.
  (#55 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I've been here a while

Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23 Points: 26,815, Level: 23

Re: Should LGBT Teens be able to openly serve in the military? - December 18th 2010, 11:06 PM

Mostly repealed. The policy only comes to an end after a sixty-day review period by the Department of Defence. And after President Obama has signed it, of course, but that shouldn't be much of an obstacle. But yeah, it's past time that DADT died.

Closed Thread