TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   LGBTQ+, Sexuality and Gender Identity (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/)
-   -   Why are people using LGBT for their gay relationships/crushes, not 'relationships & dating'? (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f8-lgbtq-sexuality-gender-identity/t70732-why-people-using-lesbian-gay-bisexual-transgendered-their-gay-relationships-crushes-not-relationships-dating/)

her_beautiful_mistake April 1st 2011 02:15 AM

Why are people using LGBT for their gay relationships/crushes, not 'relationships & dating'?

Self-impossing that kind of divide seems bizarre to me.

*CatchingStars* April 1st 2011 02:17 AM

Re: Why are people using LGBT for their gay relationships/crushes, not 'relationships & dating'?

well LGBT is for well for gay and things like that it can be used both ways i guess it depends really maybe ppl just feel it should go there they feel they might get better advice or they just feel it goes there i really dont know its ont the person thats doign it

her_beautiful_mistake April 1st 2011 02:18 AM

Re: Why are people using LGBT for their gay relationships/crushes, not 'relationships & dating'?

So you think only gay people can advise on gay relationships?

Jocelyn. April 1st 2011 02:29 AM

Probably because they are looking for advice from other gay/bi/trans/etc users? Maybe they are still becoming used to the fact that they gay, lesbian or bisexual and feel more comfortable posting in this section of the forums?

I agree with you though. If I were seeking general relationship/dating advice I would be posting in the R&D forum.

TheCrowing April 1st 2011 03:00 AM

Sometimes it's easier to understand someone if you're going or have gone through the same thing.

her_beautiful_mistake April 1st 2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCrowing (Post 612441)
Sometimes it's easier to understand someone if you're going or have gone through the same thing.

Don't you think that's quite patronising though? I'm not talking about first ever same sex crushes, or confusing emotions relating to their first same sex relationship, or anything relating to people confused or unsure about their sexuality. I'm talking about general relationship/dating topics. I think it's pretty patronising to say that straight people can't understand or advise on a relationship just because it's a gay one.

Storyteller. April 1st 2011 06:08 AM

None of us is trying to say that straight people can't give advice on LGBT topics. In fact, we have heterosexual users who post advice in this forum, and that's perfectly fine, just as gay or bisexual people can advise on straight relationships.
I think part of the reason that people ask for advice on relationships in this forum is, as Courtney said, in here they're more likely to hear from people who have gone through the same thing.
I agree that topics on general same-sex relationships could go in the R&D forum, but they also fit in here, and it's a matter of personal choice as to which one a user posts in.

bitesize April 1st 2011 12:19 PM

I agree. i think if it's a relationship issue it should go into R&D. If it's something that pertains specifically to LGBT, it should go in there.

Gingerbread Latte April 1st 2011 01:36 PM

It's kind of an ambiguous thing I guess and up to the user where they post it :)

This isn't really the same thing but like with questions about periods they fit into Sex and Puberty as well as General health and I've seen people post those sorts of questions in both sub-forums interchangeably.

Jovial. April 1st 2011 05:05 PM

I think that if it is about a same sex relationship, then it does fit into LGBT so like the others have said, it is truly up to the user. There is no rule against it.

Harmony♥ April 2nd 2011 07:51 PM

I am a straight female, and I love giving advice to the LGBT community. Some of my best friends are gay, lesbian or bi and they always come to me for advice, even though I am not any of those things.

Some people feel comfortable with seeking relationship advice here, as they feel that some of the users in the particular thread can relate to what they've gone through. Other's seek relationship advice elsewhere, such as in the R&D forum.

Personally, I don't see the big deal. A relationship is a relationship and wherever the poster feels comfortable seeking advice is where it should go, whether here or in the the R&D forum.