TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
by TeenHelp September 9th 2016, 12:36 PM

The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah
By Jenna (~Abibliophobe~)

The Nightingale is a fictional story about loss, redemption and forgiveness. It focuses on two sisters, Vianne and Isabelle, during World War II. At the heart of this novel is a story about love, in particular what people will do to save those they love. The sisters are described as being exceptionally different but through the course of the book you come to realize that there are a number of similarities between them.

It is told in flashbacks through the eyes of one of the sisters in 1995, when she is much older, but it is later told through the perspective of both of the sisters which leaves you wondering which sister is telling the story. The mystery of which sister is telling the story is something that I really enjoyed because I was left trying to put the pieces together.

There is a a lot of foreshadowing in the beginning of the story and once you get into the past you are welcomed into the idyllic world of Vianne. She is married to the perfect man who saved her after the loss of her mother and slowly you start to see the changes in her world due to the war. Vianne is told numerous times to be strong by her husband and her constant thoughts are that she does not know how to do so. Toward the middle of the book, Vianne is faced with a tumultuous decision. She has to decide to do what she knows is right but risk her life as well as the life of her daughter or turn her back on people that could use her help. Vianne’s story comes to a conclusion when the war ends but she is faced with the devastation and loss that the war has brought on. She is unsure how to deal with this loss and she comes to the realization that the lives of those she loves have been changed or lost.

There is also a lot of focus on Isabelle and the story is told from her point of view as well. Her journey is much different than her sister's. From the very beginning we are told about how abandoned and alone Isabelle feels due to her sister’s choices as well as her father’s. While she is a strong-willed and determined person, the heart of her being is the desire to matter in the world and feel loved. She ends up fleeing from her hometown of Paris due to the fact that the Germans are taking over. She meets up with a man who betrays her and breaks her heart. This leads to her diving head first into the resistance that is taking place in France. She ends up doing a lot of brave things throughout the years of the war and eventually she is met with the consequences of her actions. Isabelle’s story is one of heartbreak, loss, strength and forgiveness. I think that Isabelle's portion of the story resonated the most with me because of her desire to matter and make a difference in the world.

The ending is quite heartbreaking and it leaves you questioning how people can be so brave even though they are forced to deal with a life that is not fair and people that are extremely cruel. The novel highlights how one person can make a difference in life and to those around them. The thing I loved most about this book was that it was well-written and I was able to relate quite a lot to each of the characters and there were times when I was scared for them, sad for them and angry for them. The story showed how important one person can be even if they feel as though they don't matter. That simple fact was something that resonated with me quite a bit. I think the author wanted people to see that one life can mean so much. This story also showed how one person can change their views and do something they never thought they would when they know it's the right thing to do.

The biggest flaw I saw with the story was that while it wrapped up cleanly it could be seen as being a rushed ending. There was so much of the past to be told that when it closed back in 1995, there was only a short chapter and it left me thinking that it could have ended in a way that made it easier for the reader to process all the information they were given. The ending was still beautiful and left me feeling sad for all those involved but also feeling inspired by all that the characters had done in their lives.
Views 523 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments