TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Children Of Blood and Bone: A review
by TeenHelp August 3rd 2018, 02:33 PM

Children Of Blood and Bone: A review
By Jenna (.:Bibliophile:.)

[Source]

Children of Blood and Bone by Tomi Adeyami is the story of Zelie Adebola who lives in a world where magic disappeared. Years prior to the start of the story, Saran, a tyrannical king, contributed to the disappearance of magic. He also targeted the Maji. The Maji were the wielders of magic and at Saran's request they were targeted and killed. As the story unfolds we learn that Zelie has the chance to bring magic back. It's the first book in what is supposed to be a trilogy.

I absolutely loved this novel. I found it gripping and entertaining. I was eager to learn what would happen next and found it hard to put down. The novel is told from different perspectives and I quite enjoyed being able to get into all the characters heads. There were four major characters, Zelie, Amari, Inan and Tzain. I think my favorite character was Tzain and I was sad to see that none of the chapters were told from his perspective.

Inan and Amari are brother and sister and they also happen to be Saran's children. I quite enjoyed reading from Amari's perspective because I saw her character grow as the story went on. I tend to enjoy novels that display the growth of a character; I suppose it makes the story more realistic because we all grow and change. When characters don't display growth I find myself struggling to connect with them.

Inan was a hard character to connect with. He's not supposed to be viewed as a good guy and while he did display growth throughout the novel, I found myself getting annoyed with him. I suppose my annoyance was due to him seeming kind of mopey; I also struggle with reading books from the perspective of a character that is more bad than good. I do question what will happen with Inan's character in the later novels but I find myself less curious about him than the other major characters.

The novel is full of magic, character development and action. There were moments where I rejoiced with the characters and moments when I worried for them. I think the author did a phenomenal job of making me connect and feel something for the characters. It's not something that all authors have the ability to do.

I think the one issue I had with the novel is that there were some things that could have been removed. My version of the book is 525 pages and I felt it was a bit too long. There were a few places where I felt it dragged but I was able to get through those parts because I did love most of the characters and I wanted to see what would happen next.

The second book should be coming out in March of 2019 and I will be picking it up. I find myself wanting to know what will happen next and wishing that the entire trilogy was already published.

If you love fantasy world's with magic and some amazing characters then this book is probably one you will end up enjoying.

Views 462 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments