TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Once Upon a Book Club: A book subscription review
by TeenHelp August 3rd 2018, 02:35 PM

Once Upon a Book Club: A book subscription review
By Cassie (cynefin)

Once Upon a Book Club is one of the many book subscription boxes available for bookworms. It is also the only one I have tried. As a newbie to 'book boxes' I wanted to share my experience by writing a review.

Once Upon a Book Club is unique in that it is a virtual book club and it offers three to five gifts that correspond specifically with certain passages of the book that are only to be opened when you reach that passage. These boxes are available in adult and young adult; I chose the young adult box. Young adult boxes typically include book genres such as fantasy, contemporary, historical fiction, sci-fi, or mystery. Adult boxes feature women's, contemporary, and historical fiction.

In their January 2018 box, I received a book, some gifts that relate to the book, and a little program that includes the book club discussion dates. The book I received is called Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson.

I cannot comment on the book club aspect because I don't plan to participate. I chose the box because I wanted to open the gifts during certain parts of the book to make the experience more interactive.

I thought the book and gifts were very well packaged. Everything in the box arrived in lovely condition; even the box itself looks like a book! It was tempting to open the gifts early but I managed to wait until I reached the corresponding passages of the book and doing so really made the book come to life.

On page sixty-seven, the book says "She took a long drink from an Ellingham-branded reusable water bottle." I opened my gift to find an awesome reusable water bottle. I was especially excited about this gift because I kind of collect reusable water bottles.

The next gift was on page eight- one. The passage reads "She yanked it off the shelf, snapped it open, and removed a Schiaparelli makeup compact in the shape of a telephone dial." I opened a reusable bag marked page eighty-one to a pretty compact with the design of none other than a telephone dial.

On page ninety-seven, the book mentions that "Ellie had removed her ring and set it on the rounded edge of the tub." Inside a ring box was an awesome ring that I have worn several times since.

The last gift was on page three hundred and fourteen. "He picked the dangling earbud back up, and she reinserted it." With that passage, I got a set of earbuds and a nice case to keep them in.

The experience of opening gifts during certain parts of the book was a great one. I feel that it made the book more interactive and it almost made things feel more real to me. If I participated in the book club aspect I think that is also something I would have enjoyed because it's a way to express your excitement and wonder with other readers.

Subscriptions are available in one, three, six, or twelve months. Boxes are $34.99 per month, and shipping for the US is $8.50. Shipping to Canada is $15.00, and shipping to the rest of the world is $26.00 each month. The prices can, unfortunately, be a con of Once Upon a Book Club.

Something cool about Once Upon a Book Club is that they release hints on their website each month so you can anticipate what book is next. If you want to know the book title or request a skip, you can send an email (skips are only allowed for a three, six, or twelve month subscription).

I will definitely be getting this subscription box again and I recommend it to anyone who wants to read an interactive book.
Views 452 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments