TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Article Tools Search this Article Rate Article

Old
Rate Article
Ten Songs You Want to Hear
by Mel April 2nd 2010, 06:58 AM

Article featured in Avatar - Volume 3, Issue 8 (February 2010).

Ten Songs You Want to Hear
By Jessie (Asylum)

Everyone has them, a few favorite lesser-known songs, ones they could listen to on repeat for hours. Whether the lyrics are uplifting or haunting, there is just “something” that draws you in. Some may have once been popular… when your parents were in school! Still others aren’t available on any CD, and some simply never got the radio playtime they deserve. Without further ado, here are ten of my favorite songs that I think everyone should know!

1. “Beside You”, Marianas Trench

“If your heart wears thin I will hold you up,
and I will hide you when it gets too much.
I'll be right beside you.”

Marianas Trench is a Canadian punk rock band from Vancouver. The single “Beside You”, from their album “Masterpiece Theatre”, sets a hopeful message of love to startlingly beautiful percussion and orchestra instrumentals.

2. “Sooner or Later”, Michael Tolcher

“Be first in line, raise your hand,
remember everything you hear.
And playing in the rain is worth catching cold.”

Michael Tolcher is an American singer-songwriter from Atlanta, Georgia. “Sooner or Later”, a single from his debut album I Am, is the all-too familiar tale of growing up and becoming independent.

3. “Sex and Reruns”, Matt Duke

“Do you shake through the night,
tucked under the covers tightly?
There's monsters in the shadows and zombies in the street lights.”

Matt Duke is an American singer and songwriter. “Sex and Reruns” is an honest, sometimes comical, song with an upbeat tempo, from his album Kingdom Underground. Another Matt Duke song worth checking out is “Rabbit”.

4. “Muddy Hymnal”, Iron & Wine

“The begging choir told the captain's man,
‘we all assume the worst the best we can’.”

Samuel Beam, more popularly known as Iron & Wine, is an American singer-songwriter. “Muddy Hymnal” is the eleventh track on his 2002 album The Creek Drank the Cradle. At just two minutes and forty-four seconds, this Simon and Garfunkel-esque song is bound to be a favorite.

5. “Flyin’”, Emerson Hart

“Here comes the wind let your string unwind.
Run as fast as you can in your mind,
back to a place that you never forgot.”

Emerson Hart is an American singer, musician and songwriter. “Flyin’”, from his 2007 album Cigarettes and Gasoline, is the heartbreaking tale of love and loss. Other Emerson Hart songs worth checking out include “If You’re Gonna Leave”, Devastation Hands”, “Vanity” and “Friend to a Stranger.”

6. “Still Fighting It”, Ben Folds

“You'll try and try and one day you'll fly
away from me.”

Benjamin Scott “Ben” Folds is an American songwriter and singer. Previously a member of the group Ben Folds Five, he has also released alternative rock solo albums. “Still Fighting It”, a single from his solo album Rockin’ the Suburbs, leaves any listener longing for the innocence of childhood.

7. “Nothing Like a Song”, Azure Ray

“I'm not what you write in your books
and no, I’m nothing like a song.”

Azure Ray is an American pop duo, consisting of Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor. “Nothing Like a Song”, track 12 on their 2003 album Hold on Love, is beautifully understated, with gentle instrumentals and intimate vocals. Other songs worth listening to include “Sleep”, “Safe and Sound” and “If You Fall”.

8. “Wake Up and Lose You”, Lobelia

“You’re lost, you’re found, your arms are around me.
I’m safe, I’m loved, your body surrounds me.”

Lobelia is an American-born, London-based indie singer-songwriter. “Wake Up and Lose You”, an unreleased single, is a stark yet intimate song that’s sure to touch you.

9. “I Need You”, Dan Bern

“Sometimes you gotta get lost ’til you wind up someplace new.
I need you.”

Dan Bern is an American singer, songwriter, and artist. Throughout “I Need You”, and other songs on his album Fleeting Days, you’ll find traces of Dylan and Springsteen, enhanced by unique and eccentric lyrics.

10. “Nowhere”, L.P.

“When memories fail, I’ve got a photograph smile.
I'm making it last for one more day .”

Laura Pergolizzi, better known by her initials, L.P., is an American rock artist from New York City. “Nowhere”, from her album Suburban Sprawl & Alcohol, is a gentle yet tortured song about waiting for a lover.

So what are you waiting for? Get listening! And if you have any songs you think everyone should know, be sure to tell us about them! We'd love to hear from you.

Last edited by Mel; April 4th 2010 at 08:35 AM.
Views 2029 Comments 0
Total Comments 0

Comments