TeenHelp
Support Forums Today's Posts

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr Hotlines

You are not registered or have not logged in

Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!)

As a guest on TeenHelp you are only able to use some of our site's features. By registering an account you will be able to enjoy unlimited access to our site, and will be able to:

Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Junior TeenHelper

which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 03:09 AM

Do guys prefer good looks or a good personality?

(#2 (permalink)) Old
Intoxication Offline
Bug & Pug <3

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 03:16 AM

I know I'm not a guy, but countless times I've heard that they prefer girls with a good personality. Sure, someone can be cute, but there's no point in attempting a relationship if you can't get along or if you just don't have anything in common.

~~~
HelpLINK Mentor & Project Advisor

(#3 (permalink)) Old
isanyone Offline
Isanyonethere
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 05:00 AM

I believe both to be equally important. If a boy and girl are going to be in a relationship then they have to be physically attracted to each other, but on the other hand a pretty girl with no personality is DOA.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 06:26 AM

Good looks are important to me, actually. I'd hate to sound like a superficial douchebag, but an average personality with average looks is not as great as a slow personality and great looks.

You know, everyone says "good personality is important", but it's not entirely true. Because, what is good personality? Kindness? Loyalty? Humility? I really don't care for any of it, to be honest. Everyone has their flaws, and as long as there's a connection, I really don't care what their personality is like. But looks is attraction, and I can't date someone that's not attractive.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#5 (permalink)) Old
alexjames Offline
Not a n00b

Name: Alex

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 08:57 AM

Personality by far. I'm not and never have been in a relationship (Which I wish would change soon!) but to go out with somebody purely on looks would be pretty pathetic imo. What's the point in being with somebody because they have nice hair or have a pretty face if they are complete idiots who don't care for you? Good looks aswell as a great personality would be great though

(#6 (permalink)) Old
Koharuchan Offline
こはる ちゃん

I can't get enough

Name: Haru

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 02:39 PM

Most boys care more about personality; the guys that only care about looks aren't really worth it.

Though you may sleep through half the day,
I know I'm in your heart even as you snore away.
I love my big sleepy bear.
No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist. -Oscar Wilde
Buddy since 12/25/11 Self Expressions mod since 4/23/12 Helplink mentor since 5/9/12 ------------I was blessed by your companionship from 12/24/01-6/27/13

(#7 (permalink)) Old
Welcome me, I'm new!

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 02:50 PM

It largely depends on the situation.

If I am out on the prowl for a one night stand or NSA sex on a temporary basis, looks will take precedence over personality by a landslide. The woman could be talking about world hunger or the conflict in the middle east and all I will think is "BOOBIES! Om nom nom."

For a longer term, committed relationship, I would say there needs to be a balance of both. I don't want to date a troll doll, regardless of how awesome her personality is. If I am not physically attracted, nothing is going to happen. If I am trying for a long term, committed relationship, looks are what draw me in to a degree but personality seals the deal.

Hamid: What's that?
Rambo: It's blue light.
Hamid: What does it do?
Rambo: It turns blue.

(#8 (permalink)) Old
Brandon Offline
I can't get enough

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 03:39 PM

Men come from a planet called Masculane. Millions of years ago, we used to be asexual creatures because we were separated from the female population of today. Our average penis length used to be considerably much larger because in order for reproduction, we had to ejaculate inside our belly buttons. Because we only have the XY sex chromosome, we can only produce male children...and they would be produced through the rectum, or the belly button. How we would do it is through a procedure called Bojokonomo which translates to "Suck out" in English. Literally, we would take a tube like plant and it would actually connect to the belly button or rectum for the baby to be sucked out.

The story of Adam and Eve is actually much different because Eve was the first human organism formed. The king of Masculane received a calling from a divine spirit, and men formed a machine, much like the space shuttle, to go to Earth. The King brought this woman back, and she became queen of the lands. No one thought to procreate with her because we were asexual after all and she didn't know much about herself since her kind was new. Adam, one of the men, snuck into the king's room one night while the King was celebrating with other people about the contact with the female and experimented on her...leading to sexual intercourse. The reason why he was tempted was because she was a different kind and wanted to see how the woman operates.

Eve got pregnant, and the king didn't understand what was going on until she produced a baby through vaginal canal. It was a boy. Confused, the king started killing men until Adam came forth and admitted what had happened.

Adam and Eve were sent to Earth, and the machine was sent back to Masculane so they couldn't return. The baby grew up as the queen, but later died of its inability to adapt to the environment. Adam also died, but many years later after they had several kids.

As the kids grew up, they learned about each other and sexual reproduction resulted in more genetic mutations over time. At first, because there were a lack of women on Earth, men had sex solely for procreation but not because of any preferences. Over time, however, many women were available...so men and women both saw genetic variety. As a result, they no longer felt pressured to procreate to continue their kind, but they procreated with men and women that they admired most...for their looks.

Joseph and Mary were the first man and woman to develop a relationship, and people admired these people because they wanted to be with each other rather than get pregnant and move on with their lives. People thought this was strange, but they welcomed it because it was different. When Mary produced a child, they worshipped the baby because they thought that it was a new kind of human that was able to not only be attracted to certain women for procreation, but be attracted to women for personality quality.

As time went on, men and women started getting physical attraction and personality attraction towards each other. Masculane was hit by a meteor that destroyed the whole planet, killing all the men and women there.

Now, people were able to be attracted to the opposite gender through looks AND personality, and the idea of relationships, marriage, etc started to rise up. Now...it's the same way. Men and women prefer each other with looks and personality, but sometimes one outweighs the other. It largely depends on what they want out of the relationship...both men and women. Obviously, sexual relationships put more emphasis on physical attraction than emotional attraction, while serious relationships usually have both. Both men and women have adapted and grew up the same way, which is why we're both homo sapiens. If you ask what men prefer in women, you can know what they prefer just by answering the same question...what do YOU prefer in MEN? We're not that much different. We're both from different planets but we both have adapted to our environment the same.

Adam and Steve is a different story, however. I won't get into that story because it's unnecessary for this thread.

Hope this helps!

"I may not be smart, but I am stupid." - Brandon

Got a question and want brutal honesty? PM me!
  Send a message via MSN to Brandon Send a message via Yahoo to Brandon Send a message via Skype™ to Brandon 
1 user(s) liked this post or found it helpful.
  (#9 (permalink)) Old
Henry Tyrell Offline
Junior TeenHelper

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 03:51 PM

^ da fuck did I just read?

I like a combo of both. If I'm not attracted to someone, I'm not going to date that person, thus looks are a factor. If I can't talk to someone about a variety of topics and trust that they have thought out opinions on them, I'm not going to date that person, thus personality is a factor.

(#10 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosana View Post
^ da fuck did I just read?
This.
This is a brilliant response.

Because in the end, it doesn't even matter.

(#11 (permalink)) Old
TheNumber42 Offline
Dolan
I can't get enough

Name: Cody

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 04:46 PM

Both are important, but personality is far more important. If I'm going to be a relationship with someone, I have to be able to get along with them and have fun with them and communicate well with them. Being attracted to them is important too, but that's meaningless without the personality bit.

~Cody

Normal User

(#12 (permalink)) Old
Acheron Offline
El Tigre
I can't get enough

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 05:46 PM

Looks only for hooking up, but looks and personality are both equally important for anything that isn't just sex. For a relationship, or a friends with benefits deal, I need to be able to enjoy spending time with her even when our clothes are on.

(#13 (permalink)) Old
NevermindMe Offline
The Straight Edge Sniper
I've been here a while

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 06:32 PM

In all honesty, personality. A bitch in sheep's skin is useless.

Within reason, of course.

- Justin

"Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail, upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick, erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick, rewrite it"
Technologic

(#14 (permalink)) Old
Bibliophile Offline
I can't get enough

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 07:23 PM

A good personality. I'd rather love someone for who they are than love them for how they look. If you truly love somebody 'beauty' shouldn't matter, they'll always be perfect in your eyes.

(#15 (permalink)) Old
Stargazed. Offline
Outside, huh?

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 07:50 PM

Personality > looks.

(#16 (permalink)) Old
Skeleton Offline
Outside, huh?

Name: Charlie

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 08:49 PM

I'd say personality. Someone can be the most attractive person ever and have the worst personality and if that's the case, I wouldn't want to be with them. I'd rather be with someone who had an amazing personality and I'm sure in my eyes, they'd be the most beautiful person ever.

(#17 (permalink)) Old
MadPoet Offline
You're the Original <3
Outside, huh?

Name: Amanda.

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 08:58 PM

It kind of bugs me that guys are grouped together as a whole, as if what one guy thinks or prefers is the same as what they all think. It's not like all the guys in the world have some kind of secret club where they get together and decide what they like and don't like, or whatever. Every guy is different, and every girl is different. Some guys will prefer looks to personality, and some will be the opposite. I don't think there's any one answer to that question, because like I said, not all guys think the same. I've met guys that I consider complete jerks who only care about looks, and others who value both. But I think that when it comes to a good, solid relationship, and not just sex, most guys are going to look at both, even if it's subconsciously.

A lonely soul in a land of broken hearts

(#18 (permalink)) Old
Vergil Offline
I am Jeff's Profile
Not a n00b

Re: which do guys prefer? - May 2nd 2012, 10:15 PM

Its 50/50 for me. Even girls will agree on this one when they are looking for a partner. The other person as to have a personality that you like and looks for the attraction. the whole physical attraction thing is actually a very primal and subconscious thing. Your subconscious mind will look at the person and make you feel an attraction to them for reproductive means. i.e. a potential suter for your offspring. But that wont go far unless like I said the person had a personality that you fall in love with.

Closed Thread