TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
savealife723 Offline
i live. i laugh. i love.
I've been here a while

Points: 25,653, Level: 23 Points: 25,653, Level: 23 Points: 25,653, Level: 23

Am I an awful girlfriend? - September 20th 2012, 09:45 PM

My boyfriend and I have been together for a little over six months. He's really serious and sees us getting married one day. He knows I'm the one for him because we've been constantly praying about it since long before the relationship even started that our friendship would be in God's Will and in His Hands. So, we're pretty serious and he's wonderful. I seriously love him to death. But I think I'm developing a crush on someone else, and I don't know what to do.. Gaah. Am I an awful girlfriend for having a crush?

When you can't find your way home,
and when life gets too hard to face on your own.
I will stand as a light through the darkness unknown,
I will walk with you, so you're never alone.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
anonymouswhale Offline
Every note makes up a symphony
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Kat

Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15 Points: 11,142, Level: 15

Re: Am I an awful girlfriend? - September 20th 2012, 09:48 PM

No, I wouldn't say you're an awful girlfriend at all. What do you like about the other guy? Is it something that your current boyfriend is missing? Try to see past it and realize that you've got history with your boyfriend, and love him with his endearing quirks. A crush is only skin-deep, and the person might have one too many skeletons in their closet. Think it over for a bit- the last thing you want to do is cheat on your boyfriend. How about trying something new in the relationship to rekindle the flame? Go somewhere you've never been, or just have a new experience together.

"It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness"-Chinese Proverb

Piano, Flute, Bassoon, Acoustic Guitar, Cello, Electric Guitar

LiveHelp Operator August 13th, 2012 General Forum ModeratorDecember 22, 2012 Videos Officer March 19th 2013
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Am I an awful girlfriend? - September 20th 2012, 10:34 PM

You aren't an awful girlfriend, in fact its common in teenage relationships. While its great that you two love each other and are pretty serious, its easy to want to experiment and try something new since you're young.
I agree with Kat in making a list of what you like about this other guy. Typically though, if you start liking someone else it means that they have something to offer that your current relationship doesn't.
That being said, it doesn't mean that you're relationship isn't going to work out. Since you've been together for 6 months you two know that you work well together (a lot of relationships that have no hope end much sooner). However, you don't know if things would work out with your crush. So its up to you whether you want to try something new, or stay in your secure relationship.
You can always try and avoid this guy you're developing a crush on and spend some more time with your boyfriend. In time, you should get over the other guy.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
brokensmilexx Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Name: Sara

Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16 Points: 13,307, Level: 16

Re: Am I an awful girlfriend? - September 21st 2012, 07:02 PM

I don't think you're a bad girlfriend at all, in fact I was in the same position as you are now hun,
My boyfriend and I are going on 7 months now and at 6 months we hit a rough patch where I was sort of attracted to another guy, like SerenitySmile said, its skin deep. Or in my situation it was. Things started getting a bit strained between us and we've only ever fought once this whole time together. He could tell something had changed, I didn't tell him I thought some other guy was attractive, because I also realized it wasn't just that. The more important thing was I felt like we were in a slump doing the same things over and over everyday, I don't like being like that so I told him. He was upset, only because he thought I was going to break up with him, which I wasn't at all! I just wanted to talk about it, let him know how I was feeling and see if we could change the problem. Which luckily we have (:
My advice; think deeply about if its just a crush, or if there's something in your relationship with your boyfriend that's bothering you, if you find something try and bring it up to him. Hope it all works out
<33

Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

"Live your life and risk it all
take some chances, take the fall
take your time, no need to hurry
have some fun, and never worry ♥"
Closed Thread