TeenHelp

TeenHelp (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/)
-   Relationships and Dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/)
-   -   Online dating (http://www.teenhelp.org/forums/f9-relationships-dating/t112867-online-dating/)

Doodle. November 23rd 2012 06:16 PM

Online dating

I've been thinking of making a profile on online dating sites. I want to find someone but my confidence irl kind of stops me from finding someone.

At the back of my mind people on online dating sites are weirdos (no offence to anyone on online dating sites :p) I'm just scared I'll probably find some freak. Then again, I'm 21, it's not like I'll attract a pedophile or anything :')

What do you think about online dating? is it a good idea?

Also, I'm pretty paranoid about online safety so I'll only join if I can make sure it's genuine.

CorrieUSMC November 23rd 2012 06:35 PM

Re: Online dating

Hey there :)

In my opinion, there is nothing wrong with Online Dating. Some people just don't have the time to go out and look at bars, etc. Lol. It also saves money in the long run, you're not driving trying to meet people, you can meet people by staying home and looking at all the pretty faces :D .

-Just remember, to keep internet safety in mind, even if you're 21, doesn't mean they aren't people that won't hurt you, Remember if you're going to meet them, to make it a public place like a restaurant or a bar. That's if you're paranoid about it.

Also, you don't have to pay for services like EHarmoney etc, Try POF, its free!

Well, best of luck on your adventure to find love :) It's a road that seems long and never ending, but once you find the one person, every step of the road was well worth it :D

Doodle. November 23rd 2012 06:56 PM

For some reason I do attract some weird guys online :') :') I will deff. meet up with them in a public place :)

I'm tempted to say I'm just looking for a girl (I'm bi) I think there will be less weird bi/gay girls on dating sites than guys.

CorrieUSMC November 23rd 2012 07:16 PM

You would be probably surprised how many there are, actually. But the first step is finding a site and making the profile and start looking :)

savealife723 November 23rd 2012 07:47 PM

I don't think that online dating is a bad idea. It's definitely something to be very cautious of, but I think that it works for plenty of people out there.

Be careful in who you talk to and the information you put on your profile.
Besides for that, I think it could really work for you. I'm sure lots of people use this method to finding someone. You never know, maybe this site will lead you to meeting the love of your life. <3

Goood luck!
-Kaylaaa. (:

Apple Orchard Ghost November 23rd 2012 10:25 PM

A friend of mine did online dating for a while, and there are definitely a lot of creeps out there, but she also has now been dating a really nice guy for a few months. So it's kind of luck, I guess? She also only did the free ones, and I've heard it's better when you use the paid ones, because they weed out the really creepy people. I think you should give it a try though, and see if it works out for you, cause you never know until you try.

Magical Forest. November 23rd 2012 10:33 PM

I met my current boyfriend through online dating!! I joined for a joke as I thought I was too young, but we got talking and HEY PRESTO here we are 18 months later :)
There aren't always weirdos thankfully. Just give it a try and see how it goes :) You don't have to meet up with people if you don't want to, and can choose how long you talk to them first.
You never know you may find someone awesome :)

TheGuyInAPurpleSuit November 24th 2012 11:35 AM

If you are going to do online dating, Don't just throw all your information onto your profile, Go slowly with it, Make sure that the person you are talking to is someone you feel you can trust. When setting up you profile put extremely general information, Don't go into detail on your profile, Be safe and have fun.