TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
fandomfan Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,030, Level: 12 Points: 7,030, Level: 12 Points: 7,030, Level: 12

Feeling bothered about my friends dating - February 9th 2013, 06:42 PM

Ok, so two of my friends have been dating for a few weeks. I've had a crush on one of them for quite a while, but I never asked her out, not so much because I'm not brave enough to, but because I don't want a girlfriend. I've never had a girlfriend. Sometimes I get lonely and see happy couples and I wish I had what they do, but most of the time, I can't see myself being in a romantic relationship. Having crushes isn't simple and linear for me; I would explain it, but frankly I don't understand it myself. My other reason for not asking her out is that I'm afraid of losing our friendship. In 2011, I liked a different friend and asked her to a dance. She said no and started ignoring me and when she did talk to me (usually when I initiated it), she was kind of condescending and it just made me feel worse. This lasted for at least a month before I told her it was bothering me that she wasn't acting like my friend anymore which pretty much fixed the problem and everything is back to normal with me and her now. Anyway, I don't want that to happen with me and this friend.

Now, I was sad and jealous about the relationship at first, but I moved on very quickly. I accepted it and even felt happy for them, but today I was having a conversation with my mother and I mentioned that they were dating (this wasn't the point of the conversation, it just came up) and she started telling me things like "I thought you liked each other! The poor girl was probably waiting for you to do something! You have to do something when you like someone or someone else will! I wanted you to take her to prom!". It's not my mother's business at all and I tried telling her that and she sort of respected my wishes, but the things she said stuck and they're making me feel bad about it again and I feel bad about feeling bad about it because they're my friends and I should be happy for them.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
SamMarie Offline
Sam
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Sam

Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18 Points: 16,977, Level: 18

Re: Feeling bothered about my friends dating - February 9th 2013, 07:30 PM

I think she's just being a mother/woman/girl. She just wants the best for you just like you want the best for your friends. I'm sure she didn't mean to say that to make you feel guilty. Although, even if you could have done something before, you didn't because you already made up your mind awhile ago that you just simply aren't ready for any romantic relationship. For your confusion, relationships are pretty confusing. So, don't feel alone in that aspect. Even married couples have that confusing issue. I would have told your mother that you aren't typically ready for a relationship. Besides, who knows if your friends will stay together forever. Right now, I give props for accepting your friends happiness. There was a way you were happy for them once and it is possible to do it again. Just distract yourself with other things. There is nothing to be ashamed about. You're just doing the right thing for yourself and your friend. Good luck!

Closed Thread