TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
Fabian31197 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: Fabian A. Varela

Points: 6,759, Level: 12 Points: 6,759, Level: 12 Points: 6,759, Level: 12

Should i tell my parents about who im dating whenever i get into a relationship? - March 7th 2013, 08:04 AM

my last relationship just ended, mainly because of our parents. should i let my parents know about who i date in the future, because my mom ALWAYS finds something "wrong" with the girl i date, like none of them are ever good enough for her. my new ex was perfect to me, but my mom read through notes we wrote to each other about some serious, personal stuff, and my mom instantly makes a judgement about her based on what she wrote. (although my mom's degrees pretty much say she's qualified to do that anyway)

whats your opinion about letting your parents know about your relationships? do you tell them the day you do get into another relationship, or do you not bother about it? i've talked with friends, and they agree that parents usually tend to ruin your relationships. so whats your viewpoint?

Absence makes the heart grow fonder. But does that mean I'll get to be with her again one day, with no boundaries to get in the way of our love?

Or will she just become a stranger, that I will always long for, hoping she'd one day return my love again?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14

Re: Should i tell my parents about who im dating whenever i get into a relationship? - March 7th 2013, 08:56 AM

Well, i wasnt in a relationship... But i know, when i am in one, i wont tell my parents for at least 3-4 months... Well, my dad is ok, he wouldnt get his nose in it, but my mom... I wouldnt tell her... She would be: Oh, how does she look, where does she live, did you had sex... *facepalm*
So no, i would wait for a couple of moths, and if she asks why didnt you told me, i would say: None girl is good for you... Keep ur nose out of my love life...

So yeah... I wouldnt told them...
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
CorrieUSMC Offline
Ghost Rider
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Corrie

Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16 Points: 12,511, Level: 16

Re: Should i tell my parents about who im dating whenever i get into a relationship? - March 7th 2013, 10:13 AM

Well, In High School, I only had two girlfriends. I dated one girl in 9th grade for a few months, and when you can't drive and want to hang out, you kind of have too. As I got in a relationship with my second girlfriend who is now my Wife, same thing. But my Parents are pretty open. It really depends on what you want too do and if you can drive yet or not.

If you don't want to have them drive you, then sure I guess you don't have too tell them, but considering you're still a minor and your Parents do still have legal rights over you; I would at least go "Hey, I'm seeing this girl, I'll be with her at X spot for X amount of time." Too at least give them the heads up. If your Parents are like that though, you can try too talk to your Parents about it, it can be tough, and they might get angry. But you deserve too be happy with who you want.

I will say, when I have a daughter and she becomes of Age, I will know who she dates and where she will be, Because she is my daughter. I wouldn't force her to not date, but I will not let her ruin her life by becoming pregnant at 15/16/17. I can't stop her from having sex, but I will make sure she knows how to protect herself. So generally, 98% of parents generally are looking out for their Children, sometimes they can get a little over protective. It might be something you'll need too learn as you grow up. Its different for me, because I am that much older so I see it for what my parents would do and why, that I thought was stupid and annoyed me.

But back to the question, when I was dating in High School, I didn't announce to the house I was dating the day we started a relationship, but I let them know, who I was dating, and if I was hanging out with my girlfriend, so they know where I was.

(#4 (permalink)) Old
THE FAPMAN Offline
Banned
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mr. Fap

Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14 Points: 9,708, Level: 14

Re: Should i tell my parents about who im dating whenever i get into a relationship? - March 7th 2013, 11:56 AM

Ah, now when i saw Corries answer...
Let me parafraze mine... I would told them, that i have a girl and where i am, but i wouldnt let them stick their nose into my relationship...
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Always * Offline
I can't get enough

Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23 Points: 26,162, Level: 23

Re: Should i tell my parents about who im dating whenever i get into a relationship? - March 7th 2013, 01:16 PM

See it depends. I won't necessarily tell them (read: mostly my dad) that I am on a date or something, like they don't need to know. I used to have a thing with a guy (read: we are friends but we used to have sex) and I would talk to my mom about him BUT only as him being my friend, I never told her about the errr... extra benefits lmao... though she may have guessed as much... i had all of 2 boyfriends in high school and my parents new about both. I didn't tell them instantaneously, but it was within a reasonable amount of time. But my parents are not the kind of parents to be nosy about things. I am sure if they REALLY hated a guy (like if he was an insane violent criminal or what ever) then they'd maybe speak up but I wouldn't be dating a psychotic criminal to start with so it'd never be an issue.
Now I am an adult and don't live at home so my parents can't really do anything about it. Things like if I went on a date or was hanging out with a male friend wouldn't need to be clarified for my parents because they are not here to see it (plus they're smart enough to know my friends from my dates). So if I was "seeing" guy I might mention I'd like just met a guy and we were hanging out... But I'd use well chosen language (ex. we are "hanging out" not "dating" that way my parents won't feel bad or what ever if it doesn't work out. If it ever became a real relationship, yeah I'd tell my parents, but maybe within a few weeks. I have never felt like it needs to happen the day of (unless it just happens that way). But like I said my parents aren't going to nose in unnecessarily.

Feel free to PM me if you ever need to chat or have questions
Closed Thread