TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 14th 2013, 12:47 PM

Okay, so my girlfriend has lately been having some issues with sharp pains in her lower abdomen (about an inch or two below the middle of her waistline, directly in the center, below her bellybutton). These pains get so bad that she feels like she's going to vomit. She says they're not like what you get from muscle tightness or cramps. She says they're a sharp pain, localised to the one spot.

We've been having sex for close to 3 months now (Christmas day, believe it or not). She was a virgin. I was not. I've had 1 long-term sexual partner and 2 sexual encounters prior to her. She'd never done anything sexual. She says that the pain is at its worse immediately after sex, and slowly goes away over the course of 2 hours. However, she gets these pains sometimes when we're not having sex (the first time she felt the pain today was at midday, and we didn't have sex until 9pm, and haven't had sex for a few days prior to today).

She started on the pill 2 weeks ago (Levlin). We continue to use condoms and have used condoms since we started having sex. We're definitely protection-happy. We use condoms (they're called Skyn, extra-lubricated, made by Durex, I think.), I pull out prior to orgasm, and she's now on the pill. She finished her period last week. So, let's rule out pregnancy, for a start. I highly doubt it could be that, considering she's had the pains off and on since (she says) we started having sex, and she's had 3 periods since then.

I've also thought that she could be allergic to latex condoms or the lubricant in the brand we use. However, since it occurs when we don't have sex as well as after/during sex, I doubt it would be that.

I've also considered that perhaps I bruise her cervix during sex. I'm not that big, though (I'm roughly just above average, though she seems to think I'm big). I'm also quite gentle, though at times I do tend to be quite deep (I'm sorry if that's too much information). When I suggested it to her, she told me it "could be that", but she doesn't think so because if it were, she'd feel aches, not sharp stabbing pains.

I also thought that maybe it was her appendix, since she hasn't had it removed, but the pain is localised to the center, not to the right, as where the appendix is.

So as far as peace of mind goes, can someone tell me it's not me doing this to her? Can someone also confirm that it's highly unlikely she's pregnant (I'm a bit of an obsessive type over this)? What else can cause this sort of symptom?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
Little Lion Man
Senior TeenHelper

Name: Katie

Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15 Points: 11,382, Level: 15

Re: My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 14th 2013, 02:34 PM

Any kind of sharp pain needs a doctor to be involved.
As for causes, I don't think she's pregnant, or that it's caused by you hitting her cervix. It could be an ovarian cyst (those are godawful) or kidney stones maybe? I would definitely see a doctor though.

Sorry I couldn't be there, I was tied to a rocking chair.

(#3 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount17

Edit avatar

Re: My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 14th 2013, 08:04 PM

Hey,

As Katie said, it could be an ovarian cyst or kidney stones. Does she have back or neck pains as well?

I think it'd be best if you convince her to go to a doctor. Sometimes pains like this can be nothing, but they could also be serious so it's pretty important to have her see a doctor.

Hope it works out.
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
Music Offline
Thoroughly medicated
I've been here a while

Name: Richard

Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20 Points: 19,767, Level: 20

Re: My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 14th 2013, 10:01 PM

Any pain requires a doctor, especially if it's as bad as she says.
If I were to get a call as a medic I would be taking her to the hospital. The abdomen carries many vital organs and a lot can go wrong with it. It's almost impossible to diagnose abdominal pain without any tests due to the large variety of problems that can occur in the same areas.
This has been going on for almost 3 months, and while I doubt it's pregnancy as she's been having her periods it's obviously not fixing itself either. I would recommend seeing a doctor sooner than later.

Member since 2005
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
Ennui. Offline
Living the dream.

TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Dez
Pronouns: She/They

Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59 Points: 172,194, Level: 59

Re: My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 14th 2013, 10:47 PM

Hey there,

I think that any pain like this should be checked out by a doctor. Sharp pains like this could point to a few different conditions, and therefore it is better she gets tests run by a professional in order to rule out anything serious and give her a proper diagnosis so she can begin to get treated. I don't think that it is likely that she is pregnant, but it is important that she gets checked out by a doctor to rule anything else out.

I hope all goes well!

-Dez

Do you ever get a little bit tired of life
Like you're not really happy but you don't wanna die
Like you're hanging by a thread but you gotta survive
'Cause you gotta survive
  (#6 (permalink)) Old
I've been here a while

Name: Mitch

Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21 Points: 22,859, Level: 21

Re: My Girlfriend and Sharp Lower Abdomen pains? - March 15th 2013, 03:47 AM

Thanks guys,

I've told her to see a doctor. She won't listen, despite how many times I tell her. She says she doesn't know how to describe it to a doctor and doesn't have time to go to the doctor's (which is a lie; she has time to sit down and watch TV every night for 5 hours a night, she has time to see a doctor). Her doctor's appointment would even be covered under Medicare (a government-funded Australian healthcare system), and she wouldn't have to pay a dime. But she's just so unwilling, and I don't know why.

So, instead of her going, I went to the doctors myself. I asked the doctor what he thought it could be, and he came up with the same suggestions. I asked about STIs, and ended up getting a full panel done for myself. I'll find out the results on Tuesday as to whether or not it is Chlamydia causing this pain for her, but the doctor said that it "seemed unlikely" given how I described it, and it "doesn't sound like it's Pelvic Inflammatory Disease". He did however suggest also that she may have Coeliac disease, but since she's waiting for the tests to come back, there's really nothing I can do unless I come back positive for Chlamydia.

I still worry that I do have Chlamydia, because it's definitely a possibility (I've had 3 sexual partners since I was last tested, and 2 out of the 3 were unprotected). Here's to hoping it's not, because if it is, my girlfriend will probably kill me...
Closed Thread