TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
FFAFF Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Name: ffaff

Points: 7,053, Level: 12 Points: 7,053, Level: 12 Points: 7,053, Level: 12

Exclamation Parents won't let me visit girlfriend in hospital? - July 22nd 2013, 04:16 PM

My parents are both conservative Hindus and don't like me being in a relationship as it is, trying to get my girlfriend and I to break up. She's going to the hospital tomorrow for surgery, and and as much I'd like to visit her, they're saying "there's no need". She has a heart murmur and while the probability is low, she could pass away on the operating table. I'd like to be able to convince them otherwise, could someone please help?
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
PureStorm Offline
Regular TeenHelper

Points: 8,585, Level: 13 Points: 8,585, Level: 13 Points: 8,585, Level: 13

Re: Parents won't let me visit girlfriend in hospital? - July 22nd 2013, 04:29 PM

There's almost no convincing religious people who believe that something is wrong.
I don't think they're good for you, but you still depend on them, so you should be careful. All you can do is try to tell them how you feel about them doing it.
  (#3 (permalink)) Old
Eternal Offline
TeenHelp Veteran

Name: Nicole

Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39 Points: 77,763, Level: 39

Re: Parents won't let me visit girlfriend in hospital? - July 22nd 2013, 04:42 PM

The only thing you can do is let your parents know that you want to be there for your girlfriend and support her because she's probably very nervous about the surgery. Ask them to put themselves in her shoes, wouldn't they want their partner there with them?
If they still say no, there's always a next best thing. Call her when she wakes up, or make her a present for the next time you see her. You could make her a get well cake, a mix CD for her to listen to while she recovers, or write her a poem. There are lots of possibilities, and it will show her you care even though you are unable to be at the hospital with her.

And here you are living, despite it all.
Lead Moderator | Disputes Committee | HelpLINK Mentor
  (#4 (permalink)) Old
♔ Queen of Ambivalence ♔
Average Joe

Name: Emily

Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14 Points: 9,201, Level: 14

Re: Parents won't let me visit girlfriend in hospital? - July 22nd 2013, 11:58 PM

Is there any way you can get there without their help? Maybe take a bus or a taxi? I don't know your situation but when it comes to religion people can be really stubborn. Try to appeal to your parent's emotional side. Tell them that you really care about her and feel like you need to be there to support her.

♥ PM me anytime, I'm here for you ♥

Out of the ashes I'm burning like a fire. You can save your apologies, you're nothing but a liar. I've got shame, I've got scars that I will never show. I'm a survivor in more ways than you know. 'Cause all the pain and the truth, I wear like a battle wound. So ashamed, so confused, I was broken and bruised. Now I'm a warrior.
  (#5 (permalink)) Old
DeletedAccount71

Edit avatar

Re: Parents won't let me visit girlfriend in hospital? - July 25th 2013, 04:04 AM

I see that you are thirteen according to your profile. Most hospitals, unfortunately, do not even allow visitors under a certain age (often sixteen or eighteen) without a parent or guardian. If your parents are unwilling to take you, even after you have stated your concerns, and especially if her parents also do not want you visiting, there is nothing you can do. It's frustrating, but sadly, it's the way those policies work.

I would suggest calling her to see how she is after surgery, or bringing her a present or flowers once she is well and out of the hospital. The wait will be frustrating, but she will be able to know how much you care about her.
Closed Thread