TeenHelp
Get Advice Quick Ask Support Forums Today's Posts Chat Room

Get Advice Connect with TeenHelp Resources
HelpLINK Chat and Live Help Facebook     Twitter     Tumblr     Instagram    Safety Zone
   Hotlines
   Alternatives
   Calendar

You are not registered or have not logged in
Hello guest! (Not a guest? Log in above!) As a guest you can submit help requests, create and reply to Forum posts, join our Chat Room and read our range of articles & resources. By registering you will be able to get fully involved in our community and enjoy features such as connect with members worldwide, add friends & send messages, express yourself through a Blog, find others with similar interests in Social Groups, post pictures and links, set up a profile and more! Signing up is free, anonymous and will only take a few moments, so click here to register now!

Relationships and Dating Ask here for advice on dates, break-ups and other relationship concerns.

Closed Thread

(#1 (permalink)) Old
ans_jws121512 Offline
Welcome me, I'm new!

Points: 7,342, Level: 12 Points: 7,342, Level: 12 Points: 7,342, Level: 12

How do I talk to my boyfriend about our break? - September 9th 2013, 04:14 AM

A few weeks ago, while I was on my vacation, my boyfriend texted me and told me he was moving to North Carolina and switching colleges a few days before he was supposed to leave which happened to be on our 8 months. When I asked him why he just said he was accepted and wouldn't give me any other answer. When he first told me he said he wanted to break up while he was gone, then he changed his mind and said we would stay together. The next morning I wake up to a text saying he wanted to go on a break while he was gone. While we were video chatting later the day I guess he could tell I was angry because he said something about this won't work if I'm mad at him the whole time. I'm not really sure what he meant by that, but it kinda made it worse and I shut the video chat off and that was the last time I heard from him.

While all of this was going on I had so many emotions at the same time and the one that came out the most was anger even though I was more hurt and sad than angry. Within a week I lost one of my dogs that I’ve had my whole life, I got kicked out of my school because of my grades, so I had to find a new one during my vacation, then this happened and it was all becoming too much.

The other day I was thinking about it and he's been talking about joining the military since we met, so I was thinking maybe that's why he left and just told me he was leaving for school so I wouldn't worry about him. I don't know for sure if that's what really happened or not.

I was trying to wait until I got back from my vacation to deal with this and now that I'm back I know I need to talk to him about everything. There's just so much I want to say to him, but I don't know how. How do I talk to him about all of this? I don’t even know if we’re together or not right now.
  (#2 (permalink)) Old
An Inspiration For The Broken
Experienced TeenHelper

Name: Mark

Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19 Points: 17,323, Level: 19

Re: How do I talk to my boyfriend about our break? - September 9th 2013, 12:25 PM

Ghee, I'm sorry to hear about your situation with your boyfriend. You're definitely right that you need to talk to him about everything because if you don't, you're not going to know what he really wanted to do. As for how you should talk to him about all of this, I would suggest talking to him in person if that's possible. If it isn't, maybe you can communicate with him through text or video chat. When you talk to him about everything that has happened between you and him, don't approach him all angry about it. Just be relaxed and just talk to him like you normally would with anyone. Now, if you don't know what to say, you can say something along the lines of "Alright, I know that we've had our fair shares of hardships here and there, but please, just be upfront and honest with me. When you said you wanted a break, was it only a temporary one, or did you just want to end our relationship? Please, tell me why you wanted to go on a break in the first place. I want to know if we're still together or not." After saying something like this, just be prepared for whatever response he will give you whether it'd be good or bad. I hope that this will all turn out for the better for you.

“The main thing is realizing that even if you feel terrible for a while, that’s not how you’re going to feel the whole time. . . . Things change if you just keep moving.” - Gary Vaynerchuk
Closed Thread